Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Android models to look forward to in the coming months.

vCash
    Thanks

Another iPhone infestation. There are, like, five iPhone dedicated topics already but some people just can't be satisfied...

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    Another iPhone infestation. There are, like, five iPhone dedicated topics already but some people just can't be satisfied...
    Maybe that wouldn't be such a damnable point if you didn't insist on doing the same, first, to all the iPhone threads... hmmmm?

---------- Post added at 17:30 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by snigger View Post
    If Cthulhu's Galaxy S worked on the 850mhz band, it means that he had an Australian version of the Galaxy S.
    No, I've had the international version, the i9000, bought at MBK. I typed in the diagnostic code to get to the tech screen, which clearly displayed the presence, and active nature, of the 850MHz band.

Maybe if you stopped quoting from Google, and actually used, or at least *looked* at what you are discussing, this wouldn't be an issue.

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    Where can you meet? I work in the Ratchada area. Are you still good for the 100,000 Baht if I take phone to the top of my Condo building or other building? True is notorious for getting poor reception in a lot of buildings in Bangkok so we'll see what happens when the phone has only 2-3 bars to begin with. My boss switched to True. He likes the 3g but because he lives in Patum Thani, there are certain spots in his house where he loses reception.
    This is pointless and stupid grandstanding - I can put any phone into a lead box and gloat about how it loses reception. I have had my iPhone 4 for a while now, and have yet to lose reception or drop a call. Correction - I dropped calls twice, while I was riding in an elevator into an underground parking structure, but I think that can be expected.

I don't know what the other guy talks about losing reception when griping it - hasn't happened to me, and I think I heard that was just a USA phenomenon. Mostly media hysteria.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Logic Dictates View Post
    All of the Samsung Galaxy series is advertised to have 3G. It is pretty much a moot point in Thailand. The better option is just to live without 3G between your office and home and just use WiFi at both locations. If you really need to contact someone just use texting.
    This is what I suspected when I was told at the Mobile Expo a couple months ago that the Galaxy S does 3G here in Thailand. The specs on the 3g bands on the website apparently don't match what is actually being sold.

Battery life is an issue on my Galaxy 3. If you are smart about it and charge it overnight and then connect it to USB to your laptop at work then you will generally be fine if you are doing lots of app usage on your commute.
    This is common for all smart phones I think. Even my girlfriend and coworkers who use iphone 4's charge their phones every day. Speedy processors and big color screens definitely eat a lot more power than the old Nokias that could go for a week on a charge.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My solution to battery life is to have a charger at work, one my backpack (along with a car charger, if I'm in a vehicle) and my computer at home to plug it in and sync it. Never have a battery issue.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

This is common for all smart phones I think.
    I agree, I have used nothing but smart phones for the past 10 years from Palm to Windows, then RIM to Android and I have always needed to plug 'em in at the office from 4:00 to 5:00 so that I had battery to carry me through the rest of my day. There are times when I am jealous of feature phones going for a full 2 days between a charge. I learned about 4 years the major advantages to keeping a second battery, I guess I am a slow learner lol.

vCash
    Thanks

I subscribed to Dtac's Edge package - 150MB per month and it's enough for use on the run. At home and at school I use wifi. Average Android data usage in the US is 440MB per month, btw, and on 3G, it's not so easy to use that much on slow Edge.

Still, Edge is perfectly fine for instant messengers like WhatsApp and PingChat, provided others got them installed, too. Androids come with Gtalk preinstalled but I haven't found a satisfactory iPhone equivalent yet. Sometimes ago the advice was to use Gtalk from safari on gmail page but that doesn't give you instant notifications. Pingchat is free. WhatsApp is free for droids, paid for iPhone, don't know about BBs.

Anyways, instant messengers work and they are a lot cheaper then texting, especially overseas.

vCash
    Thanks

Are any Android phone manufacturers better at future proofing their phones by providing timely OS updates?

I have been an iPhone user for 3 years now and love the fact that they can be upgraded. Compared to phones in the past this has been a godsend.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mabubba View Post
    Are any Android phone manufacturers better at future proofing their phones by providing timely OS updates?

I have been an iPhone user for 3 years now and love the fact that they can be upgraded. Compared to phones in the past this has been a godsend.
    If you don't want to venture into rooting your phone to get timely updates, then the Nexus S would be a good choice. Updates for the Nexus and Nexus S come directly from Google as they are officially Google phones even though they are made by HTC and Samsung.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Androids come with Gtalk preinstalled but I haven't found a satisfactory iPhone equivalent yet.
    Beejive is the best I found.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

I'd have to say - No.

The Nexus S comes with Gingerbread, but the Nexus One, Google's prior phone, looks mighty abandoned right now.

Will it get Gingerbread? Maybe.

Do we know when? No.

Your points, mabubba, are exactly why the Apple products resonate with consumers. After what I went through with my Galaxy S to get it upgraded (not to mention to get it patched so it would work normally), the Apple way is a blessing.

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. So, is there no way to perform the upgrade yourself? Or are the phones locked in some fashion so that only each phone manufacturer's instance of Android can be used?

Also, do you see a point where upgrades become less of an issue? I mean, are we going to get to a point where the time between upgrades (say around 2 years) will take some pressure off the phone manufacturers to do the upgrades themselves? For instance, does Gingerbread have a 1-2 year lifespan?

Looking at cheaper alternatives, its hard to justify buying an old Android phone with say OS 1.6, when you can get an iPhone 3G and upgrade to iOS 4.2 (or similiar).

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the info guys. So, is there no way to perform the upgrade yourself? Or are the phones locked in some fashion so that only each phone manufacturer's instance of Android can be used?
    Some are, some aren't.

That's just the manufacturers.

Then there are the carriers, which in some cases have more influence on wether you can upgrade or not, than the manufacturers, or Google.

That's because Android is open - in fact, Andy Rubin was quoted as saying that carriers and manufacturers having more control over the phone than actual buyers and consumers using it, is actually a great example of how "open" Android is. (I personally think Andy Rubin is smoking crack, and is probably one of the greater roadblocks to Android).

Plainly, Google and Carriers have more control over your phone than you do, unless you find phones that are unlocked, and run stock Android. Right now, that's just the Nexus S - even the Nexus One has no upgrade path.

---------- Post added at 03:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 ----------

For instance, does Gingerbread have a 1-2 year lifespan?
    No. So far, each revision of Android has had a 3 - 6 months lifespan.

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 ----------

Macalope calls it on Andy Rubin: "Dude, you are sooo wasted!" So what is the Nature of Open anyway? - netgarden's posterous

Letís start with Google Vice President of Engineering Andy Rubin.

When asked by Walt Mossberg about Googleís refusal to ban ďcraplets,Ē or apps dictated by the carrier and often unremovable, Rubin considered their presence a plus. Ö ďThatís the nature of open,Ē Rubin said. ďThatís actually a feature of Android.Ē
    Closed is a feature of open? Dude, you are soooo wasted! No more for you, dude!

All joking about Rubin being blasted out of his gourd on Four Loko aside, he has a point. It is a feature. Itís just a feature for carriers and hardware manufacturers, not customers. Thatís probably not what customers have in mind when they buy their so-very-ďopenĒ phone and find it has a bunch of carrier crapware they canít uninstall, some hardware manufacturer crapware they canít uninstall, and may require that they have a Windows laptop to update it. It is what the hardware manufacturers have in mind, though, and they thank Google for letting them crap up the experience.

via macworld.com
    While Google's "loosely coupled" gestalt may serve its interests, and that of carriers and handset makers, it seems too quick to be willing to disappoint consumers and developers developing for such an ecosystem.

vCash
    Thanks

This isn't uncommon. Most phones aren't loaded with the latest OS,
    Bullshit. My iPhone brand new came out with the latest 4.1 OS. The month after I bought it 4.2 came out and I updated the same day by clicking UPDATE on iTunes.

especially if there are any recent releases.
    The only Android phones that is coming out with the latest Android is the Google Phone (Nexus S). All brand new and even phones that are not out yet are coming out with 2.1 and 2.2 (if you're lucky), and you may never get it updated.

They tried to release an update the Galaxy S to 2.2 and it failed. They had to pull out of it.

My boss switched to True. He likes the 3g but because he lives in Patum Thani, there are certain spots in his house where he loses reception.
    I work and live in that area and I'm always on 4-5 bars.

If you reread my original post then you'll see that LG has already said that the new Optimus 2x (star) will come loaded with 2.2 but can be immediately upgraded to 2.3.

How do you know it can be immediately updated? Why don't they load 2.3 from the time you take it out of the box?

Update it how? Will LG release the update to all their customers? How can you update it? Show me where you are getting this information. Just because it will be "upgradeable" doesn't mean LG will release an update any time soon.

Actually, according to you Android people, every single phone is upgradeable. Right?

top of my Condo building or other building?
    True is notorious for getting poor reception in a lot of buildings in Bangkok so we'll see what happens when the phone has only 2-3 bars to begin with.
    You can take ANY phone in an area of poor reception on DTAC/AIS or TRUE and make it lose reception. This is nothing new. I could almost kill my blackberry's reception on AIS in areas of poor coverage.

again, like Wozniak says, Just because you can CAUSE a problem doesn't mean the user HAS a problem. I'm sure you can CAUSE phones to have all sorts of problems on any network if you REALLY tried.

It doesn't matter where I go, whether it is outside or within Bangkok, the iPhone 4 has NEVER EVER dropped a call or lost reception.

So, go to the top of whatever building you want to. The iPhone 4 won't give you problems when you use it normally like any other phone. If you TRY to cause a problem, then you can just take ANY phone to the top of your building. I'm sure you'll succeed.

But, you've never owned an iPhone 4, so again, you don't know what you are talking about. The iPhone 4 is the best selling smart phone in the world. Trust me. It works just fine and dandy.

Another iPhone infestation.
    baksiidaa was the first one to bring up the iPhone in his OP. Then Logic dictates followed it by taking a shot at what he believes to be an issues with the iPhone 4 even though he has never owned one.

All they had to do was not mention the iPhone, but they brought it up.

What do you expect when baksiidaa opens a thread about Android phones and the FIRST thing he does is compare it to the iPhone 4.

---------- Post added at 09:04 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Then there's the LG B, which we should see previewed at CES on January 6th. It looks like they've one upped both AMOLED and Retina in terms of brightness and power efficiency. I'll be interested to see the technical specs during CES. It is also supposed to be the thinnest smartphone while packing a 4" screen. The comparisons show it thinner than both the Galaxy S and iphone 4. Looks very promising and an altogether an impressive piece of hardware.
    The OP. Comparing to iPhone 4 and retina display.

So, OK, let's compare to people who actually OWN an iPhone 4. Not just me reading SPECS on a page of a phone that is not even out yet.

So, just responding to his OP.

These phones will have nothing or maybe just MAYBE come close to the retina display. The Retina Display packs what is has on a 3.5" screen. These phones have a 4" screen. No chance. It would have to be the best screen ever created. Something completely new to surpass the Retina Display. iPhone 4's hardware will hold up just fine.

All you have now are leaked images of something that something or other and rumors and this and that. Wait until it comes out and don't live on spec sheets.

Brighter? We'll see when it comes out.

Thinner? Do you really want a plastic phone that is thinner than the iPhone 4? The flex on that must be terrible.

More resolution? Doubt it. It'll be the same 800x480 on a 4" screen. Maybe brighter, but not a crisp and sharp as the iPhone 4.

Even if they matched or surpassed, it is 4 inches. iPhone 4 is packing 960x640 on 3.5 inches.

---------- Post added at 09:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 ----------

Here's an upcoming COPY of the iPhone 4. It's called the Meizu M9, a Chinese iPhone 4 knock off.

Meizu M9: High quality iPhone 4 knockoff with Android 2.2 - Mobile Magazine

1GHz S5PC110 processor, 512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, 3.5-inch Sharp ASV 960◊640 multitouch display, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, aGPS, WiFi-N, HSDPA/HSUPA, and a 1370mAh lithium-polymer battery. Thereís mention of either 8GB or 16GB of flash memory, but itís possible that storage is coming way of the included microSDHC card. The 5MP camera with 720p HD video is said to be almost on par with the iPhone 4, but thereís no flash. (There is support for Flash video though.)

Based on some of the early videos, performance on the Meizu M9 looks pretty good. If you were to slap the logo of a top-tier smartphone company on there I donít think too many people would know the difference. Iím still personally hesitant to invest in a Chinese knockoff, but the M9 doesnít look all that shabby. Itís set to retail for about $375.
    Last edited by snigger; 21st December 2010 at 08:56.

vCash
    Thanks

I mean, are we going to get to a point where the time between upgrades (say around 2 years)
    At the beginning of this year Android run on Eclair, then Froyo came out, and then Gingerbread, and then preview of Honeycomb.

At this pace in your time frame, 2 years, there could be up to EIGHT upgrades.

Each phone maker uses different hardware and so there's a need for different drivers, on top of that many phone makers offer their own interfaces to Android, something like a "desktop" in Linux speak that also needs to be updated by the manufacturer, and on top of that network operators also add their own stuff, like their own "stores" where you can buy their own apps and games.

If you root your phone you can install custom versions of Android written by the community which can be anything from plain vanilla Android to popular interfaces from a different manufacturer, or install beta builds from phone makers that are not ready to be released to the general public, or that are meant for different regions and different carriers.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

They tried to release an update the Galaxy S to 2.2 and it failed. They had to pull out of it.
    What are you talking about? My Galaxy S came with 2.1, and Samsung subsequently released 2.2 for it, and I updated. You don't know what you are talking about.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Actually, according to you Android people, every single phone is upgradeable. Right?
    According to Baksiida, "if you understand how to root and flash your phone" (paraphrase), then sure -- I might add "if you enjoy pulling your hairs out", to illustrate what that really means. Of course, this keeps Android on a more technical, elitist level, and prevents it from being 'watered down', which apparently is trep's biggest concern about Android - that the unwashed masses might actually find it useful.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

baksiidaa was the first one to bring up the iPhone in his OP. Then Logic dictates followed it by taking a shot at what he believes to be an issues with the iPhone 4 even though he has never owned one.

All they had to do was not mention the iPhone, but they brought it up.

What do you expect when baksiidaa opens a thread about Android phones and the FIRST thing he does is compare it to the iPhone 4.
    Valid point -- the first ones to mention iPhone were Baksiida and that other Android fanboy - and then trep jumps in and declares it an 'infestation'.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

If you root your phone you can install custom versions of Android written by the community which can be anything from plain vanilla Android to popular interfaces from a different manufacturer, or install beta builds from phone makers that are not ready to be released to the general public, or that are meant for different regions and different carriers.
    Honest question - HAVE YOU EVER DONE THAT FOR YOUR ACER PHONE? How easy was it for you?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    What are you talking about? My Galaxy S came with 2.1, and Samsung subsequently released 2.2 for it, and I updated. You don't know what you are talking about.
    Sure you did. After countless delays by Samsung, you finally got one.

and good, since it's a 23,000 baht phone.

THe sad part is that some new phones are STILL coming out with 2.1. That's like the iPhone 5 coming out with iOS 4.0.

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Eclair, then Froyo and then Gingerbread, and then Honeycomb.
    Why are Android OS names so gay?

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

At this pace in your time frame, 2 years, there could be up to EIGHT upgrades.
    Well,

1. What good is an update if people can't get it?
    2. iOS has had 6 updates released in 5 months. iOS 4 (june), 4.0.1 (july), 4.0.2 (august), 4.1 (september), and 4.2 and 4.2.1 (november)

At this pace, in 2 years, there could be up to TWENTY FIVE (25) UPDATES! from Apple.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast