Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Some Android models to look forward to in the coming months.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Not all of which will be upgradeable to 2.3, or beyond.

How do you plan to use your phone ?

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

More worrysome developments, as Android manufacturers are locking down their hardware to be less (or no longer) hackable:

Warning: Leaked Galaxy Tab Firmware comes with Protected Bootloader | xda-developers

This is the first observation on the Galaxy Tab, but this indicates that Samsung has every intention of similarly locking down their remaining devices in a similar manner. They are about to announce their iPod Touch competitor (a Galaxy S minus the phone components) at CES, and I'm willing to bet that it too will sport a similar lock down. This means that thanks to Android's openess, the various manufacturers will endeavor to lock down their devices more stringently than Apple has locked up their devices.

This is similar to other manufacturers (Motorola, HTC) that are also trying to lock down their devices to prevents hacks and alternate flashed firmwares.

Because Android is open, after all :-(

vCash
    Thanks

From my readings it seems most Android 2.1 can not be upgraded to 2.2, as it seems the Manufacturers must makes changes for the Android upgrade to happen.........and most manufacturers will not
    This is not correct, all 2.1 phones CAN be upgraded and most manufacturers DO offer upgrades for their phones though waiting time varies.

What exactly do you need the upgrades for? Upgrades won't add a front camera or a flash or gyroscopes and there are no restrictions on the apps in the Market, like "only for Android 2.2" or higher. Basically you will continue doing all the same things you do now on 2.1.

There are no special requirements for 2.3 either and here's the list of 2.3 unofficial roms

Holidays Update: AOSP Gingerbread Ported to Other Phones: Here’s Our Frequently Updated List | xda-developers

What is your budget, btw. Do you want to by the best Android phone ever or just a phone that can do all the same things but with less glamor?

LG Optimus One for 9,900 has Android 2.2 and is small and compact and is not slow either, the camera is 3 MP and there's not flash but if you are not into digital photography it's more than enough for sharing snaps you take with a phone.

Ray
    vCash
    Thanks

Chinese copy phones

Out of interest I see no mention of the Chinese copy phones

Does anyone own a Wifi phone ? and if so how do you find it ?

examples:

Vivistar 3.6 Inch Quad Band Dual SIM Slider Phone (WIFI, TV, QWERTY)

Star A3000. An Android 2.1 Mobile | China Phones Reviews
    Last edited by Ray; 28th December 2010 at 13:25.

vCash
    Thanks

Potential problem with these Chinese or other "grey" phones is that if something goes wrong with it no one can fix it for you and there are no spare parts for them.

There are some HTC phones with similar specs on sale here.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    What exactly do you need the upgrades for? Upgrades won't add a front camera or a flash or gyroscopes and there are no restrictions on the apps in the Market, like "only for Android 2.2" or higher. Basically you will continue doing all the same things you do now on 2.1.
    I get it - trep's Acer Liquid isn't upgradeable, therefore, *NO ONE ELSE NEEDS UPGRADES* -- as for what do such firmware/Android version upgrades bring with them : for starters, security patches and updates; performance and speed updates - speeding up the same hardware, sometimes significantly; feature upgrades to existing phone features (thus, voice controls were added with one of the 2.x updates; better keyboards; more speed);

This is not correct, all 2.1 phones CAN be upgraded and most manufacturers DO offer upgrades for their phones though waiting time varies.
    Really? Who? Where? Which models?

There are no special requirements for 2.3 either and here's the list of 2.3 unofficial roms
    Most of which come with the caveats that such unimportant details like 'phone' or 'wifi' or 'bluetooth' or 'gps' don't work on them. Minor details that trep disingenuously leaves out.

I have no doubt that the hackers will eventually fix these ROMs, but in the interim, there are no really *functional* 2.3 ROMs available - and the future for legit upgrades of most Android phones currently available lies in doubt (mostly because the usual manufacturers feel that making updates available will cannibalize new sales).

If reliable and assured software updates are a concern for you (it might now) Apple has a far better track record in that regard -- I expect to be able to upgrade my existing phone for at least 2-3 years.

vCash
    Thanks

I belive HTC Desire and Wildfire have official 2.2 updates for Asian countries, as well as Samsung Galaxy S, but you have to check for each particular model, or root the phone and install any ROM you want. Gingebread, 2.3 has been "cracked" only a week ago and there are dozens of ROMs for it already. Check the list for supported/unsupported features, though, if you want everything working perfectly you have to wait a bit for more stable ROMs.

I, for one, am not particularly hungry for 2.2 - I'm satisfied with speed and I don't use 3G so no point in turning my phone into a wifi hotspot. It's not quite the same as going from 1.6 to 2.1, those old 1.6 Androids are like Windows 98 and new apps/programs do not support them anymore. 2.1 is still safe, like Windows XP.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

Useful post on Engadget

Just got an Android phone? The best apps, accessories, and tips -- Engadget

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So, what version of Android does your Acer run? There are several Acer Liquid models (just as there are several Galaxy S models), which one do you have. The initial model was hampered by Android 1.6 - did you get yours upgraded, or did your model come with 2.1 (as you imply)?

One of the big (alleged) features of upgrading to Android 2.2 was the ability to run Adobe Flash within the browser, which some people were made to care about. Upgrades to the operating system have little to do with only handpicked features that you can claim to not care about.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I read these threads with interest
    I second this, thanks for all the info.

So, from what I gather, 1.6 is dead in the water along with all the un-upgradable phones that run it. What Android version would be a reasonable choice to have (2.2 sounds like the one if it does have embedded Flash support)?

I don't need the latest and greatest, but do like the modern smartphone configuration (capacitive touchscreen, larger display, wifi, 3G). I am using an old Sony Ericsson C902 and going back to t9 to type texts is a chore

Ray
    vCash
    Thanks

I am still not convinced about Android upgrades..............maybe 2.1 can be upgraded to 2.2.............maybe

From my readings and a friends comparisons, the 2.2 is noticeably faster than the 2.1

and now we have the 2.3 showing its self, if upgrading is possible then great ! but if not lots of phones left with old Android OS !!

I read one 2.2 owner downgraded to 2.1 because an application would not run, this is not good !

I do believe Android is the future of OS in phones, yet I think the Android creators are still in a learning curve.

Thank you Trep & Cthulhu for your writings / fightings / insightings ( not a correct word but is rhymes )

I will wait and watch what happens in 2011 ........... Happy New Year
    Last edited by Ray; 29th December 2010 at 05:31.

vCash
    Thanks

Ray, I believe your fixation with upgrades and "non-upgradable" verdicts is not very healthy.

Last night I upgraded my Acer from 2.1 to official 2.2. No big deal.

Is the phone faster? Can't honestly say so. Maybe the javascript rendering is faster in the browser, maybe some apps start faster - it's not a deal breaker.

Flash is working, but I've only tried local toyota website so far.

There are some icon changes and notification bar is now white on black instead of black on white.

And that's about it!

Funny thing, though, the thought of downgrading back to 2.1 has occurred to me almost instantly.

By default the phone booted into Acer Interface and right off the bat I've lost the ability to put in widgets and shortcuts to the homescreens and instead got a dock and screens with rows of apps, exactly like on iPhone, which is really lame.

Luckily I looked into Settings menu and there was a choice to switch back to Android native user interface. Now everything is exactly how it was on 2.1.

>>>>

In general, one shouldn't buy Androids that still run on Donut, 1.6 and go for any 2+ version instead. I don't know if they still sell Donuts here.

Ray
    vCash
    Thanks

Thank you Trep

I do appreciate your information / knowledge / sharing

Yes I agree I will not get stuck on upgrading

Interesting to hear about your 2.1 to 2.2 upgrade and speed observations

I will continue to read and learn before I purchase

A question: I am thinking to purchase a phone with slide keyboard ( like Motorola Milestone ) does anyone have experience with this type of phone ? does the slide out keyboard allow you more screen space for email replies ?

vCash
    Thanks

I don't know if they sell any models like this in Thailand, Motorola is really behind here, btw. There's a sliding keyboard on one of the HTCs, not sure it's on sale here already, but you can generally count on local HTC to bring their latest models.

I'll post more on 2.2 performance, I didn't really have a chance to fully test it.

Touchscreen response hasn't improved, for example, and that's the most noticeable thing. If an app loads 300 milliseconds faster it doesn't really matter, you just get used to the phone's rhythm anyway and then operate it at the expected speed without even noticing if it's faster or slower than a month before.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

There you have it, from trep - upgrades don't matter.

I sure wonder why Google bothers with newer versions of the OS, then, if they don't matter?

Of course, trep's observations do fly in the face of every single review, and observations by other Android users - and it could be opined that trep does appear to either have an agenda of his own, or rather will do anything and say anything, to prevent having to admit not having been correct - amazing!

Ray, you are smart to take a wait and see attitude about the upgrade issues. Note how trep has avoided, and continues to avoid, the simple question of what version his Acer was, and how he upgraded it. He claims and presents it as easy, but note how he has very carefully chosen his words. Personally, I question the advice and suggestions from someone who is less than honest about the advice he dishes out.

vCash
    Thanks

Just checked on Chtulhu's latest post - can't stop talking about me, can you? Do you hope one day I will read them and start arguing your silly points again? No, pal, you are firmly on my Ignore list, even though it pains me how you mislead people here and there's no one to correct you.

I'm not avoiding simple questions - I can't read any of your posts unless I specifically click on them, and now I see it is a good idea 'cos you are yearning for a fight anyway.

Here is how I updated my phone - go to google, search "android forums", click the first result, click on Acer Liquid E forum, click on "Guide" sticky topic, click on Official Acer Releases link, select 2.2 from dropdown list, click OS tab, click AAP-GEN2 rom (check your About in Settings if you are not in Thailand). Download, extract, click Setup, plug your phone when prompted, click Next and OK and in a few minutes the update is finished.

Done. 2.2, Android Froyo, is installed and running.

There's .pdf guide for dummies, too.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

About a month ago I've updated my gf's iPhone to whatever the next iOS iteration was there. Still can't figure out what has changed of improved.

"Speed" after Android upgrade is a complex issue, videos or music do not play faster, Internet has not become faster, touchscreen response is not better, and whatever gains are in the OS itself could easily be offset by other considerations. Who can really notice 10% decrease on load time of an app or a game you haven't opened for two weeks, for example?

Another thing - after installing Froyo I've moved lost of games to the SD card, will they play/load faster or slower now? Generally speaking, SD card, the external storage, like usb thumbdrives, should be slower to access than internal memory, so even if the OS is faster it might take longer time for Angry Birds, for example, to load.

I've got about eighty apps, many of them I do not use very often, and I have lots of space on SD card while internal storage is limited, so "move to SD" was a nice feature that came with the update.

Yeah, Froyo is better, but not critically so.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

No, pal, you are firmly on my Ignore list
    Oh, *obviously* so.

Yet, ever so oddly you just happen to be posting on the very topics I post comments about, roundabout acknowledging them. Uh huh....

Still can't figure out what has changed of improved.
    That appears to be a common problem for you, isn't it?

Here is how I updated my phone
    - go to google,
    search "android forums",
    click the first result,
    click on Acer Liquid E forum,
    click on "Guide" sticky topic,
    click on Official Acer Releases link,
    select 2.2 from dropdown list,
    click OS tab,
    click AAP-GEN2 rom (check your About in Settings if you are not in Thailand).
    Download,
    extract,
    click Setup,
    plug your phone when prompted,
    click Next and OK
    and in a few minutes the update is finished.

Done. 2.2, Android Froyo, is installed and running.

There's .pdf guide for dummies, too.
    Interesting demonstration of 'Easy'.

...or you could just, you know, do this immeasurably more complicated way of updating:

(well, to be honest, to trep, it probably *is* too difficult to figure it out - notice how he left out that upgrading his girlfriend's iPhone was a one click process).