Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Some Android models to look forward to in the coming months.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    Is that like Coverflow on the mac and iOS?
    Yes - it's been on iTunes for at least 3-4 years (correction - since 2006 Cover Flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) - I bet trep never heard about it, and doesn't think it matters, especially once you told him it's something from the Apple side.

Odd to see Google copy nearly everything shiny from Apple - and then seeing fandroids applaud the fantastic innovation. Google truly is becoming just like Microsoft :-)

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Yes - it's been on iTunes for at least 3-4 years (correction - since 2006 Cover Flow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) - I bet trep never heard about it, and doesn't think it matters, especially once you told him it's something from the Apple side.

Odd to see Google copy nearly everything shiny from Apple - and then seeing fandroids applaud the fantastic innovation. Google truly is becoming just like Microsoft :-)
    According to that article, Apple purchased Cover Flow from an independent developer.

Who cares who copied who? GUI came from Xerox and Apple used their idea and later Microsoft used it as well. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter where something came from? Should Microsoft have continued to use DOS because of not wanting to copy Xerox or Apple? Should Apple have continued their trend of bad OS's like OS9 because they didn't want to copy a Unix based OS's? Doesn't it make more sense to use all of the best technologies possible or should they stop using certain technologies because we worry about not being original. Does it really matter to you that Android had folders and multitasking before ios did? I bet you could care less what they copied as long as they are improving the device. Apple never really comes up with an idea on their own. What they are good at doing is taking a good idea or technology, refining it, then marketing it well like they did with a tablet device.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    What they are good at doing is taking a good idea or technology, refining it, then marketing it well like they did with a tablet device.
    Agreed - and in the end I don't really care *where* innovation or the idea comes from, as long as it works well, and allows me to get my job done. The key in your statement above is the *refining* part - as all the marketing in the world won't turn a turd into a better product. Apple seems almost obsessive about the refining part, while Google (or Microsoft) are commonly satisfied with "good enough" products, or rather "good enough to ship" - hence the very frequent revisions of Google to their Android platform.

Honestly, despite most Android fans constantly repeating the "Google fights Apple" mantra, and cheering on Google to "beat" Apple - I think the actual fight is not even between Google and Apple. The two appear to be collaborating on far more projects, than they are exchanging vitriol about. I think the actual point of the game is to constantly beat Microsoft in their own space, and erode their marketshare "by a thousand cuts".

Think about it - Apple doesn't really seem to care so much about Android. They covet the high-end and to provide an ultra-high product for a Honda price; Android is bringing in the rest - middle to low end market, realistically. These are markets that Microsoft traditionally had a strong-hold in, and their revenues came from licensing fees. In those same markets, Android is available without any fees to any takers.

Now, with Microsoft releasing WinMo7, they are still charging licensing fees, and have to compete with a market where most of their former manufacturers have switched away from them. HTC used to be the single largest WinMo manufacturer, producing 80% of the handheld products sporting a WinMo logo - now, the WinMo percentage is in the low single digits -- and probably only because Microsoft begged them.

GoogleTV - less of an open competitor to AppleTV, and more so replacing the OS in desktop boxes from dish network, a former stronghold of Microsoft's. There's talks of a GoogleCar (navigation / vehicle control), which would then replace a similar vehicle OS from Microsoft.

At the end of the day, if Google and Apple collaborated any further, you'd think they were in collusion (which might just be one reason for their perceived public rivalry) - The two Google kids originally pursued Steve Jobs for Google CEO, and both companies had directors sitting on each others' boards. Doesn't sound like any sort of rivalry to me.

That's why I feel this Android / iOS "us vs them" rivalry that trep (or others) constantly project is so idiotic. I have repeatedly pointed out that the two environments cater to different types of users, and that there is enough space for both platforms. The real "enemies" as much as they have been pushed into irrelevancy) are Microsoft and RIM - both companies managed by leadership with incredible incompetence. As such, they no longer serve as real "targets" from a competitive point of view - so far better to have your ally be the target, than someone you can benefit little to nothing from.

I feel that us Android and iOS users on these fora would benefit a lot more from a collaborative attitude and atmosphere, than the dismissive and near hostile attitude trep espouses. That's all I have to say about this.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Since I have the Nexus One, I thought I would buy the wife the Nexus S. Which Android phone do Android officianados consider to the best? If you could buy any of the Android smart phones, which would you buy?

...and please, no IPhone bull...homie don't play that.
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    Since I have the Nexus One, I thought I would buy the wife the Nexus S. Which Android phone do Android officianados consider to the best? If you could buy any of the Android smart phones, which would you buy?

...and please, no IPhone bull...homie don't play that.
    If you are buying now I'd say the Nexus S is probably the best one especially since you get all your updates through Google. If you can though, wait till the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January. I think a lot of manufacturers are waiting for that to announce all their new models. This could mean a couple months before you can get one of the new phones though.

vCash
    Thanks

Nexus S is not on sale here yet and who knows what will be available here once it finally arrives. LG and HTC both have some mind blowing phones in the pipeline. Wait for a few days until CES 2011, there will be official annoncements.

For now it's Desire HD or Galaxy S.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Go to MBK, a place trep hasn't been to in years. There's several vendors advertising and showing Nexus S last time I was there.

I'd agree to go with the Nexus S, for all the reasons Baksiidaa gave, particularly that updates are available direct from
    google.

vCash
    Thanks

The cheaper Android phones are coming. I am definitely interested in the bottom end of the market. With my iPhone track record I can't afford the higher end.

Meet the first $100 Android phone - Google 24/7 - Fortune Tech

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Why restrict the 'cheaper' Android phones to Eclair? The OS costs the same (nothing) no matter which version.

Ray
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mabubba View Post
    The cheaper Android phones are coming. I am definitely interested in the bottom end of the market. With my iPhone track record I can't afford the higher end.
    Yes I agree there are many good quality inexpensive Android phones available

I have purchased direct from Hong Kong, yes with a Warranty, yes with contactable people if required, no problems, phone working well after 1 year

http://www.mysciphone.com/

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    the Nexus S is probably the best one
    No HD video.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    Since I have the Nexus One, I thought I would buy the wife the Nexus S. Which Android phone do Android officianados consider to the best? If you could buy any of the Android smart phones, which would you buy? ...and please, no IPhone bull...homie don't play that.
    Go to the nearest mall and just grab the one you can afford that you like.

There are some dual cores coming out. It remains to be seen what that does, but for now, it's all the same crap.

A Nexus S, for example, is just a re-branded Galaxy S without the Samsung software installed.

A guy here has an HTC Desire. We compared pictures with my iPhone 4. His pictures look all washed out compared to mine. The difference in quality is obvious.

I would recommend, since it's a woman, to get her the Defy

For the money, it's the best buy and she can't break it.

(sp) = aficionados

vCash
    Thanks

This is Thailand forum, they don't sell dual core Androids here, nor Nexus S, nor Androids from Motorola, we do, however, attract iPhone fanboys from around the world.

None of their comparisons can be taken at the face value, they just can't stand talking about anything else but the alleged superiority of their iPhones.

Samsung Galaxy S, in the meantime, passed 10 millions sold handsets mark. That is just awesome for any single phone model among hundreds of Android competitors. It is still pricey, though. Smaller Galaxy 3 or 5 might suit better.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    This is Thailand forum, they don't sell dual core Androids here, nor Nexus S, nor Androids from Motorola
    You *really* need to get out more.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

This is Thailand forum, they don't sell .. Androids from Motorola
    True Milestone

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

This is Thailand forum, they don't sell...Nexus S
    http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/compute...ourites-3.html (Android Apps....your favourites.)

Poster Lost saw it at MBK. Everything is at MBK.

This is Thailand forum, they don't sell dual core Androids
    I don't think they are out yet are they?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast