-->
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Some Android models to look forward to in the coming months.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm sure once the dual cores are actually out and shipping, you would be able to pick one up at MBK. I absolutely love the *assurances* that something doesn't exist, from the guy who admitted he hasn't been to MBK in a decade (or something equally silly). Seriously, is trep even in BKK?

vCash
    Thanks

Good luck hunting for that "True Milestone" you saw on the internet...

A lot of folks at MBK sell grey imports, phones bought elsewhere and brought to Thailand. For one thing you have to pay heavy premium on them, another is the issue of warranty and service.

Some believe they sell those phones even before they were available in the West, like the above mentioned case with Nexus S.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    Good luck hunting for that "True Milestone" you saw on the internet...
    They sell it at the TrueMove shop (big C) next to my house. You want one?

Here's the list of locations:

True Milestone

I didn't post it because I saw it on the internet, I posted it because I saw it next to the iPhone 4 when I bought mine.

A lot of folks at MBK sell grey imports, phones bought elsewhere and brought to Thailand.
    Every phone sold in Thailand is brought from somewhere else

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Samsung Galaxy S, in the meantime, passed 10 millions sold handsets mark.
    The iPhone 4 sold that many in about 90 days.
    Last edited by klendathu; 4th January 2011 at 13:10.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Come on, now, in all honesty, the Samsun Galaxy, of the majority of 'me too' Android phones, actually is a very decent piece of kit, and well deserves to establish itself as a serious 'single platform' contender to the market leader. Samsun was smart insofar that they differentiate by carrier and by models, while listing them all under the 'Samsung Galaxy S' brand (even the Nexus 'S' sports the clear Galaxy 'S' identifier - this allows Samsung to count all models as a single sales figure (i.e. the 10 million number is all brands counter together). Samsung also engages in the almost traditional method of counting 'shipped' phones, instead of actual 'sold to consumer' phones as their numbers. Microsoft did the same, whereas they were able to claim 14 million sold phones ('sold from manufacturers to carriers and distributors', not 'sold to consumers').

Apple actually, from what I understand, counts actual phones sold to end users, which makes for a massive difference in actual numbers, by comparison.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Apple actually, from what I understand, counts actual phones sold to end users, which makes for a massive difference in actual numbers, by comparison.
    I've read just the opposite that Apple counts iphone sales when they are shipped to sellers, not when they are actually sold to consumers. Same goes with their ipads. I remember people complaining about Apple's announced ipad sales figures because they felt the numbers were misleading since they weren't actually sold to customers. Its more difficult to track the number of phones actually sold then those shipped to sellers.

A direct sales comparison between the Galaxy S and iphone4 isn't really a valid comparison anyway since Apple chooses to put all their eggs in one basket rather than offering a variety of handsets like Samsung does. If you want a comparison of sales figures between the companies then compare the number of smartphones sold by Samsung to the number sold by Apple. Another valid comparison would be to compare the platform. Compare the number of Android based phones (not tablets or mp3 players) sold to the number of ios based phones (not tablets or mp3 players).
    Last edited by baksiidaa; 4th January 2011 at 13:59.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    I've read just the opposite that Apple counts iphone sales when they are shipped to sellers, not when they are actually sold to consumers. Same goes with their ipads. I remember people complaining about Apple's announced ipad sales figures because they felt the numbers were misleading since they weren't actually sold to customers.
    Almost 50 million iPhones were sold in 2010.

CDMA iPhones just around the corner. Tens of millions will be sold. Why is that an uncomfortable thought for you? It is what it is...

The bottom line is, the iPhone 4 is the GOLD standard in the phone market. As usual, every year, Apple does it first, then the rest of the indutry copies what they do. 2011 will be the same. The new iPhone and the iPad 2 will come out. People will line up for days to get it, then a cheap plastic Samsung copy will hit the market with some sort of Android OS installed in it. It will have every single port under the sun. USB 3.0, HDMI, milti card readers, i mean, it will have it all. the iPad 2 will have only 1 usb port 2.0 and it will outsell the Android copies by tens of millions.

The same will happen in 2012, and so on.

Unless you've been living under a rock you will know that the top 2 gadgets of 2010 were the iPhone 4 and the iPad. Actually, on CNN, the iPad made it to #1 as the gadget of the year. The iPad has changed the computer industry forever in a way that no tablet ever did. Then everyone else came to copy it. As usual
    Last edited by klendathu; 4th January 2011 at 14:20.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Compare the number of Android based phones (not tablets or mp3 players) sold to the number of ios based phones (not tablets or mp3 players).
    Okay, that sounds fair - so let me dig up the total numbers of iOS phones sold since 2007 (iPhone 1, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4), versus the total number of Android phones sold (though I have a feeling k-boy will dig that number up in no time).

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Okay, that sounds fair - so let me dig up the total numbers of iOS phones sold since 2007 (iPhone 1, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4), versus the total number of Android phones sold (though I have a feeling k-boy will dig that number up in no time).
    No need to quote numbers. Apple is the industry leader, others follow. Everyone knows that. It all started with the iPod, then the iPhone then the iPad. Everyone else is just copying.

Even Ebay reports it.

iPad & iPhone Top eBay’s 2010 Most Shopped Products List | PadGadget

eBay’s Picks for America’s “Top Shopped” and Pop Culture Obsessions of 2010
    • 1. iPhone 4
    • 2. Barbie
    • 3. Military jackets
    • 4. Hot Wheels
    • 5. iPad
    • 6. World Cup
    • 7. The Beatles
    • 8. Silly Bandz
    • 9. Alice in Wonderland
    • 10. New Orleans Saints
    • 11. Marc Jacobs
    • 12. LeBron James
    The world has a love affair with Apple products.

I don't see how that needs to take away from other products. Enjoy your Shitdroids and live happily ever after. What's the problem?

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

But if you must know:

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple sold 6.1 million original iPhone units over five quarters.[13] The sales has been growing steadily thereafter, by the end of fiscal year 2010, a total of 73.5 million iPhones were sold
    I don't doubt that Android will (or is) outsell the iPhone. In the USA we're talking about 20 phones on all the carriers vs 1 phone in 1 carrier. It doesn't mean it's better.

Google will wait for Apple to capture the imagination of consumers all over the world, then they will come out with an open source cheap copy that you can have on your $50 Crapdroid.

and so it goes on and on.
    Last edited by klendathu; 4th January 2011 at 14:50.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

File:IPhone sales per quarter simple.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

iPhone 1 : 6.124 million
    iPhone 3G : 20.254 million
    iPhone 3GS : 33.254 million
    iPhone 4 : 14.102 million
    --------------------------------
    Total iPhones : 73.734 million *sold*

Android phones 2008/2009 : 8.450 million
    Android phones 2009/2010 : anyone got the 2010 numbers? We know that Samsung sold 10 million Galaxy S models, which is more than the rest of the Android manufacturers combined, by some estimates (which surprises me, if that includes HTC) - but somehow I can't seem to dig up up Android sales for 2010.

Anyone has any idea? trep? Anyone?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Android phones 2009/2010 : anyone got the 2010 numbers? We know that Samsung sold 10 million Galaxy S models, which is more than the rest of the Android manufacturers combined, by some estimates (which surprises me, if that includes HTC) - but somehow I can't seem to dig up up Android sales for 2010. Anyone has any idea? trep? Anyone?
    Hard because there are so many by so many manufacturers. Also, only Fandroids care about that bullshit, because they have something to prove I guess.

But in the end. really, who gives a flying fuck?

I can tell you who was the #1 top seller. Nokia with their rainbow of cheap crappy phones and fancy laggy smart phones. Selling like hot cakes. Does it mean they are better products than the iPhone? Not a chance.

Here. This can give you an idea, at least in the USA

Nielsen: Android now 40 percent of U.S. smartphone sales - FierceDeveloper

Devices runningGoogle's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android mobile operating system accounted for more than two fifths of all smartphones sold in the U.S. between June 2010 and November 2010, according to new Nielsen Company data. Android sales accounted for 40.8 percent of U.S. smartphone purchases at the end of November, up from 27.5 percent at midyear--Apple's (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS increased from 20.9 percent in June to 26.9 percent in November, while Research In Motion's (NASDAQ:RIMM) BlackBerry plummeted from 35.0 percent to 19.2 percent during the same timeframe.

Read more: Nielsen: Android now 40 percent of U.S. smartphone sales - FierceDeveloper Nielsen: Android now 40 percent of U.S. smartphone sales - FierceDeveloper
    Subscribe: Developer Email, Developer Articles - FierceDeveloper

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Someone can buy a Motorola Defy, for example. A phone that is half the price of an iPhone and you can submerge under water.

As I said, the CDMA iPhone will be shipped soon. That'll sell out. The iPhone 4 is selling as fast as they can make them really. iPad 2 aqnd iPhone 4 (s/G/5. whatever it will be) will sell out as well. and it will still be a better phone that any of the crapdroids on the market.

So?

vCash
    Thanks

Any chance that the moderators can ban jlsdfgb's (klendathu) 6th account and set a 50 post minimum before anyone can post in the tech forums? That'll slow him down at least. I can just picture him frothing at the mouth behind his keyboard as he prepares his next troll post. I've been using BBS's and the web since the mid ninety's and have never seen anyone so passionate to have their voice heard in a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by klendathu View Post
    Unless you've been living under a rock you will know that the top 2 gadgets of 2010 were the iPhone 4 and the iPad. Actually, on CNN, the iPad made it to #1 as the gadget of the year. The iPad has changed the computer industry forever in a way that no tablet ever did. Then everyone else came to copy it. As usual
    Is this the article you were referring to? The iphone 4 made it to the top actually.
    The 10 biggest tech 'fails' of 2010 - CNN

iPhone 3GS : 33.254 million
    iPhone 4 : 14.102 million
    Quote Originally Posted by klendathu
    Almost 50 million iPhones were sold in 2010.
    Something doesn't add up here.

I've got to imagine that around half of those 3gs phones were sold in 2009 and not 2010 so how are you getting 50 million? I'm not saying 50 million phones weren't sold and really don't care enough to look it up. I just think you should check your facts before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu
    Do you think this is a valid comparison considering the iphone has been out longer than Android? What's the problem with just comparing Android to iOS smartphone numbers for 2010? We are talking about current popularity as opposed to history right? I wouldn't make the claim that Atari is more popular just because it has sold more units than the PS3 has. (I don't know if it really did. I'm just making a point.)

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klendathu View Post
    But in the end. really, who gives a flying fuck?
    That's not the point - I "give a fuck", and so apparently does Baksiidaa, and since we are discussing this, it would help to actually have some actual numbers - if we want the mindless fanboy's opinion, we'll remember to ask you, okay (by the way, how many more times will you get banned?)

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Any chance that the moderators can ban jlsdfgb's (klendathu) 6th account and set a 50 post minimum before anyone can post in the tech forums? That'll slow him down at least. I can just picture him frothing at the mouth behind his keyboard as he prepares his next troll post. I've been using BBS's and the web since the mid ninety's and have never seen anyone so passionate to have their voice heard in a forum.
    Can I second that?

I believe LDMA has pointed out once to use the 'report' function in order to point him towards that guy.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Do you think this is a valid comparison considering the iphone has been out longer than Android? What's the problem with just comparing Android to iOS smartphone numbers for 2010? We are talking about current popularity as opposed to history right?
    I was just going by the variables and criteria you initially set down, which I felt was a fair comparison - particularly with these claims of astronomical and eternal growth rates, it would seem fair to look at total number of platform units sold since inception.

With the slow growth curve of the initial two years for iPhone and the claimed astronomical growth rates for Android since 2009, you'd figure they would even out the numbers...?

Additionally, just looking at sales in only 2010 ignores the established market momentum by the phones that have previously been sold.

Apples to Androids, my friend. Either way you turn it, we are still missing the numbers for 2010 for Android -- so even if we wanted to make that comparison, we can't, as we don't have the numbers, which are apparently not being touted by the manufacturers.

Lastly, there is the perception factor - even with Android manufacturers claiming 60 zillion shipped handsets, the fact remains that on the streets I see *a lot* of iPhones, as well as a healthy number of Blackberries - but I see hardly any Android phones, except occasionally some geeky kid typing away on one, or some lonely guy sitting in the BTS staring at his Acer... ;-)

Gartner claims that Samsung had 32% of Android sales; that HTC had 27% and that Motorola brought in the rear with 17%. So, if we assume that Samsung sold 10 million Galaxy Android phones, than that leaves HTC with 8.5 million, and Moto with around 5 million - this is all speculation on too little information, obviously.

But it does show that Apple sold in the neighborhood of 39.99 million iPhones in 2010; and by the above numbers, the combined major Android manufacturers sold 23 million. Not too shabby, and certainly a serious increase from the null digit sales a year earlier (less than 500,000), but just as Apple's sales figures will flatten out at one point, so will Android's (and they have already shown to start leveling off) - and as k-pod has pointed out, once Apple provides a CDMA iPhone, the curves in the USA will significantly shift. Ditto once Apple makes a CDMA iPhone available to the likes of Indian carriers Tata, and the other major Indian carrier, the numbers could shift (not much shifting in Thailand as there is no CDMA worth noting here, of course).

vCash
    Thanks

Gartner claims that Samsung had 32% of Android sales; that HTC had 27% and that Motorola brought in the rear with 17%. So, if we assume that Samsung sold 10 million Galaxy Android phones, than that leaves HTC with 8.5 million, and Moto with around 5 million - this is all speculation on too little information, obviously.
    That's only one Samsung phone though. I did a search for Samsung phones running Android on gsmarena and there are around 30 models listed. Subtract the 5 or so phones that are considered Galaxy S and the Galaxy tab ones (even though they do technically serve as phones with full calling capability) and you still have around 20 different handsets from Samsung running Android. Some of the cheaper models probably have pretty high sales numbers. It would be nice if all the companies released detailed sales figures.
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com

I'm actually really surprised that they've sold around 10 million Galaxy S phones. I wouldn't have thought that their sales would have come close to the iphone 4's but 10 million and 14 million isn't really that big of a gap.

vCash
    Thanks

Here's a cool new Android phone from a Thai company. There is something for everyone in the Android universe it seems

Spriiing Smile Android phone hits Thailand by way of Sweden with China's help -- Engadget

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It would be nice if all the companies released detailed sales figures.
    It would be, wouldn't it? I wonder why they don't? These companies are not usually ones to keep quiet about achievements.

Yet, we're not hearing anything. The only company releasing detailed numbers is Apple, it seems.

---------- Post added at 00:38 ---------- Previous post was at 00:35 ----------

Subtract the 5 or so phones that are considered Galaxy S and the Galaxy tab ones (even though they do technically serve as phones with full calling capability) and you still have around 20 different handsets from Samsung running Android. Some of the cheaper models probably have pretty high sales numbers. It would be nice if all the companies released detailed sales figures.
    Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
    FWIW, these Samsung phones you have listed are *ALL* Galaxy phones, and I have a nagging suspicion that Samsung claims them all under the 10 million sales number.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast