Thread: Wireless internet

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Wireless internet

This is akinda two part query:

Firstly: Wi-Fi.. Is it widely available/used in Thailand? Do cafe's/bars /hotels ever have it or not??

(I heard there's a backpacker's hostel in Bangkok that Im thinking of booking that has free WiFi access)

Secondly: Kinda depends on the first answer, but my Mac Powerbook is airport ready but I have'nt bought an airport card yet(wifi card). Anyone know about the availablility and relative costs of Macs and Mac products? Not sure if I sould buy one here first, or there (or at all!)

Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

Bangkok free wi-fi spots

Siam Discovery Centre

Siam Square area.

Not Siam Centre, but Siam Discovery Centre - these are two different shopping centres so make sure you are in the right one! This was perhaps the first well-known free wi-fi spot in Bangkok. It is broadcast out of the Apple shop on the 4th floor of the shopping centre, just a few metres away from the Starbucks branch there making it a great spot to get a coffee, read the newspapers that Starbucks provide and surf the net. This connection varies wildly in speed, from very fast to very slow. My experience here has not been good due to slow speeds and at a guess, I'd say that is because everyone knows this spot!

The World Trade Centre

Mammoth Shopping Centre on Rajadamri Road, diagonally opposite Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel.

On the 6th floor of the World Trade Centre is TK Park, which I believe stands for Thai Knowledge Park. This is a project run by the government to provide reasonably priced internet access to the Thai public. I'm not sure if this hot spot is supposed to be open or not, but free internet is available there - just look in any store where they sell laptops and you'll see the staff connected and surfing away. I guess that's why service in some of these stores is so poor!

I have found the signal there to be strong and the speeds VERY fast. The best signal will be had on floors 5 or 6, but even on the ground floor you can sometimes capture the signal!

Bourbon Street Bar And Restaurant

In Washington Square which is on Sukhumvit Road Soi 22.

Wi-fi in Bourbon Street is not free per se. You have to pay a one time only 100 baht fee which gets you a login name and password which you can then use until your heart's content.

Larry's Dive

Sukhumvit Road Soi 22, about 200 metres up into the soi.

Larry's Dive is located on Sukhumvit Soi 22 and is another spot where wi-fi is provided completely free to customers.

The Londoner

Corner Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Road Soi 33.

This popular British style pub has free wi-fi. You have to ask the staff for the password details. They clearly advertise this at the entrance but again, I have yet to try it myself.

The Irish Xchange

Soi Convent, just past Starbucks.

This pleasant Irish pub on Soi Convent used to charge for wi-fi but now it is free, or so I am told. Again, I have yet to try it out myself.

Ronny's New York Pizza

Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Located on the infamous Sukhumvit soi 4, that is soi Nana, opposite the Brunswick, the free wi-fi is available for customers from midday until 2 AM.

Starbucks branches

Various locations.

Starbucks branches have KSC wi-fi hotspots which are commercial and charge for wi-fi use, but if you are a post-paid DTAC mobile phone user then you are able to get an hour free use. To use it, you turn on the PC and when it finds the network it displays a webpage to sign on. Click on the DTAC symbol, enter your DTAC mobile number and a password will be sent to your phone by SMS. Enter the password and you get one hour for free. It does cut out after one hour, but you just go through the log on process again for another hour. Hmmm, this just might be the clincher to get me to convert to DTAC!

Update: DTAC have announced this deal will finish on August 4th and there is little doubt in my mind that this was because it had become very popular. Some people even went out and got the appropriate DTAC package so they could take advantage of the deal.

I have also been informed that Starbucks on the corner of soi 33 has an open wi-fi connection available to anyone.

Bangkok Airport

You can't miss it!

There are a heap of wi-fi connections at the airport but most of them require a username and password. There may be a few open connections but the only confirmed one is the True wi-fi access in the Thai Airlines business class / gold class lounge in Terminal 1. My feeling is that there are likely more, but this needs to be confirmed.

Tamarind Cafe

Sukhumvit Soi 20.

Located about 250 metres from Sukhumvit Road, this pleasant spot has an art gallery and great vegetarian food.

Omni Tower Serviced Apartments

Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Free wi-fi is offered in the lobby area.

Coffee Society

Silom Road, near Sala Daeng BTS.

Another cafe to add to what will soon no doubt be a very long list of cafes and coffee shops with wi-fi.

Courtyard Restaurant

Somerset Building, Soi Tonson, just off Ploenchit Road.

The "sister venue" and more upmarket version of Bourbon Street.

Hazarindo

Sukhumvit Soi 38.

A restaurant with free wi-fi access.

Telephone Pub

Silom Soi 4.

Be aware that most of the venues in Silom soi 4 cater to gays and alternative lifestyle folks so if that is not your thing, you might want to go to one of the other establishment with a free wi-fi hot spot in the immediate area. Still, this soi can be a bit of a laugh if you're open-minded and don't have any hang ups.

Hu'u Bar And Restaurant

The Ascot, Sathorn Road.

A nice, somewhat upmarket venue. Mrs. Stick swears the food there is great but to be honest, I have only been to the establishment on the ground floor and not Hu'u, which is up a few floors.

Sukhumvit 1 Plaza

Sukhumvit Soi 1, funnily enough...

The newest farang bar area in Bangkok is the first to get wi-fi. The hot spot was originally available to users in Revolution Bar but I believe it is now open for all punters who venture there. Any questions, pop in and see the staff in Revolution Bar and they'll help you.

WearEver Laundromat & Lounge

Between Samsen Road Sois 1 and 3.

Located just over the bridge north of Khao San Road, Wi-Fi is free for customers using their coin-operated washers and dryer or for those just dropping in for a drink.

Sin

Sukhumvit Soi 4.

The new disco / restaurant / nightclub on Sukhumvit's busy soi 4 has free wi-fi available. Signal strength has been described as so so but should improve when they change the position of the router. There are quite a few places in Sukhumvit Soi 4 with free wi-fi access now.

Jessie's Minimart

Petchburi Soi 43/1.

Inside Soi 43/1 on Petchaburi Road (between Asoke / Petchaburi intersection and Makkasan / Petchaburi intersection) in a village called Miami Villa. This store is a mini-mart and an internet cafe open 24 hours per day. Owned and managed by a Canadian and his Thai wife. Tables outside the store or inside the store and a large area of the village is covered by a wireless network (speed 512/256 ADSL).

Landmark Hotel

Near Nana skytrain station.

Free wi-fi access operates in the lobby area and is available on that small patio outside where one could have a cup of coffee or tea and check email and surf the net.

Tarntawan Place Hotel

Suriwong Road.

Located opposite the Tawana Ramada Hotel, you can enjoy a cool drink in their lobby or lunch in their restaurant and surf until your heart's content.

Conrad Hotel

Wireless Road.

Free wi-fi is offered in the lobby are and in the lobby bar.

McBen Coffee Shop

Sukhumvit Soi 8.

Free wi-fi in this coffee house, as there should be in every coffee house! Serves excellent coffee, also food and other drinks (including beer at 60 baht). There is a separate air-con smoking lounge for smokers. The broadband speed is 1mbs!

Coffee Society

Near Silom Soi 4

This area, and thus this spot, is mostly gay, so it is largely home to a mixed Thai, heterosexual and farang crowd. Wi-Fi is free and fairly fast, coffee is good, they also have reasonable 'Western' style food and deserts. Best of all, it is open 24 hours.

Bug And Bee

Near Silom Soi 4

Food, staff and clientele are more varied than at Coffee Society, the listing immediately above, but their Wi-Fi connection is less reliable and slower.

Robin Hood

Sukhumvit Road, near Soi 33/1

Apparently this bar has free Wi-Fi access for customers - however, no one seems to be able to get it to work! Incidentally, in the same place one is often able to get a network called Apple_Network_08 which is completely open though how long it will be available, who knows?

Siam Smile Bar

Sukhumvit Soi 7/1

Siam Smile Bar is the first in this fast growing alley of interesting bars. How you could manage to surf the internet successfully with so many lovelies there defies me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Wow,thanks Memockm seems fairly available then...

Any idea of the cost of a wifi card in Thailand?

back seat modding Array discus2000's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

moved here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Bloody Hell! It can't be that difficult!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I see Big John's Hostel & Restaurant http://www.bigjohnsworld.com on Thonglor Soi 9 now has FREE 24 hour wifi - anybody else know of any spots that have FREE 24 hr wifi access?

vCash
    Thanks

Well John,

If you had bothered to read my post you will notice that the majority of those listed have FREE wifi. But just in case you missed it I have cut and pasted the FREE ones.

Conrad Hotel

Wireless Road.

Free wi-fi is offered in the lobby are and in the lobby bar.
    Hazarindo

Sukhumvit Soi 38.

A restaurant with free wi-fi access.

Sin

Sukhumvit Soi 4.

The new disco / restaurant / nightclub on Sukhumvit's busy soi 4 has free wi-fi available. Signal strength has been described as so so but should improve when they change the position of the router. There are quite a few places in Sukhumvit Soi 4 with free wi-fi access now.
    Landmark Hotel

Near Nana skytrain station.

Free wi-fi access operates in the lobby area and is available on that small patio outside where one could have a cup of coffee or tea and check email and surf the net.

McBen Coffee Shop

Sukhumvit Soi 8.

Free wi-fi in this coffee house, as there should be in every coffee house! Serves excellent coffee, also food and other drinks (including beer at 60 baht). There is a separate air-con smoking lounge for smokers. The broadband speed is 1mbs!

The Irish Xchange

Soi Convent, just past Starbucks.

This pleasant Irish pub on Soi Convent used to charge for wi-fi but now it is free, or so I am told. Again, I have yet to try it out myself.

Ronny's New York Pizza

Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Located on the infamous Sukhumvit soi 4, that is soi Nana, opposite the Brunswick, the free wi-fi is available for customers from midday until 2 AM.

Larry's Dive

Sukhumvit Road Soi 22, about 200 metres up into the soi.

Larry's Dive is located on Sukhumvit Soi 22 and is another spot where wi-fi is provided completely free to customers.

The Londoner

Corner Sukhumvit Road and Sukhumvit Road Soi 33.

This popular British style pub has free wi-fi. You have to ask the staff for the password details. They clearly advertise this at the entrance but again, I have yet to try it myself.

vCash
    Thanks

Please note all of the Wifi information on this page is copyrighted material from the following URL

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/wifi.htm

Please cite sources if copying and pasting.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

A good list of wireless spots here too:

http://www.thaiwirelesslan.com/modul...tegories&cid=1
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Great wifi in Thailand everywhere but. Do these places let you plug your laptop in to charge? Anyone have problems trying to charge there laptop at starbucks(coffie shops) or any of the wifi hot spots? My laptop batter usually lasts about 4.5 hours and I will be attending some online classes. I might become a starbucks decoration as I will be in these cafes as long as the workers are. I need my caffeine so I will do my share of buying there products but I need to charge the laptop? Anyone please share your experiences good and bad. Thanks.

Added after 2 minutes:

What do these names denote? Are these local ISP’s?
    KSC Hotspot, Wireless Zone, CS Hotspot, Flexinet, WLANNet, True Wi-Fi, Cyberpoint

Last question are these hotspots WEP encrypted?
    -----
    ETA: Mid Jan - ???

vCash
    Thanks

You nearly managed a whole post in English I understand there Yoda - until that last line!!

I can answer the other Qs:

Do these places let you plug your laptop in to charge?
    sometimes

Anyone have problems trying to charge there laptop at starbucks(coffie shops) or any of the wifi hot spots?
    not real problems - only sometimes they don't have sockets available!

I need my caffeine so I will do my share of buying there products but I need to charge the laptop?
    Not technically a question despite the question mark!

What do these names denote? Are these local ISP’s?
    Yes.

Last question are these hotspots WEP encrypted?
    And that's where you lost me

BTW coffie = coffee.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for info &… the English lesson?..... WEP is wireless security that encrypts the traffic so not just anyone an access the network. Usage of WEP encryption is important for me to know because if they don’t use WEP encryption i can use there network w/o paying for it easily. If they have WEP encryption in place it might take me a few days or weeks depending.

Explanation of WEP
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WEP