Thread: Be warned. Google and their hundreds of Android phones know where you are.

The Bully Slayer Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Be warned. Google and their hundreds of Android phones know where you are.

m.guardian.co.uk

Surprise. Android collects location information in the exact same way iPhones do.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Off-topic, but I just caught glimpse of JD's avatar. Fuckin' gave me nose-bleed. Now if I were a right-ass Catholic, I'd report it, but I'm enjoying wanking off to it instead.

A-ways back an avatar o' mine was removed coz it wuz me own drawing of a cute anime chick bearing her cleavage. Nothin' too lewd (as opposed to THIS).. but it got removed.

Maybe my drawing wasn't good enough

Carry on, and thanks JD for that godf--inglovelyavatar mate....
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

How can you wank on JD's avatar when you know JD is behind it? These Apple fanboys are really weird.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbulance View Post
    Surprise. Android collects location information in the exact same way iPhones do.
    Except Android phones send it back to Google several times an hour.

vCash
    Thanks

Facebook is also concerned with Google's privacy, it even hired PR firms to spread rumors about it on the Internet and got caught and exposed:

BBC News - Facebook exposed in Google smear campaign

Now that is just disgusting practice. Comes hot on the heels of Facebook's own failure to keep users data private

"Symantec's Nishant Doshi explained how access tokens act "like spare keys" to a Facebook user's account.

These keys were typically given out, with the user's permission, to help applications on the Facebook platform function.

With the keys, applications could access a user's profile and photographs, as well as posting messages on their wall.

"The Facebook application is now in a position to inadvertently leak the access tokens to third parties potentially on purpose and unfortunately very commonly by accident," explained Mr Doshi.

"We estimate that over the years, hundreds of thousands of applications may have inadvertently leaked millions of access tokens to third parties."

BBC News - Facebook profile access 'leaked' claims Symantec

>>>>

A few days ago the US Senate held a hearing on privacy concerns

BBC News - Apple and Google grilled over privacy concerns

"In its testimony, Google said that it gives users "clear notice and control; the set-up process asks users if they would like to allow Google's location service to collect anonymous location data".

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Google Can Track Your iPhone, iPad Or MacBook To Your Physical Address [LocationGate] | Cult of Mac

Remember back in April, when Steve Jobs replied to the overblown iPhone LocationGate mini-scandal by saying that it was Google who was tracking users, not Apple? As he often is, looks like Steve is right.

CNet is reporting today that Google Maps can be used to see the approximate location of iPhones, iPads and MacBooks (along with any other connected device) which are connected to a WiFi network.

CNet says that unique hardware IDs, or MAC addresses, are periodically sent back to Google when you are using Google Maps. This is all done as part of a mission to create a more intelligent mapping service which could theoretically serve up even greater coverage with finer granularity to end users.

None of this is really a problem… except that now, Google and Skyhook Wireless are making their location databases publicly accessible. That means that if someone knows your device’s MAC address, they can use Google Maps to track every location you’ve ever been with a margin of error between 100 and 200 feet.

According to Cnet, the problem’s pretty wide scale: they found that they can correspond approximately 10% of all laptops and mobile phones to physical addresses. All it takes is knowing your device’s unique hardware ID.

Apple’s so-called iPhone LocationGate was a bug that just left a record of where you’d been with your iPhone on your own computer, if your device backups weren’t encrypted. This seems to be a lot more serious, though: it seems as if Google is actually storing the physical addresses of millions of iPhones and MacBooks across the country.

What do you think? Security threat, or overblown?

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    What do you think? Security threat, or overblown?
    Stone silence.