Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Jobs to deliver keynote next week - topics confirmed

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    that he thinks we don't know about.
    As I haven't checked Slashdot in a few days, this was all new to me! I don't keep up with Apple too much, I'm thankful for the post.
    Is le He.

vCash
    Thanks

Any ideas about iOS 5? Will it bring widgets and other homescreen gimmicks? iOS looks really stale these days.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

What's "stale" to one, is "stable" to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    As I haven't checked Slashdot in a few days, this was all new to me! I don't keep up with Apple too much, I'm thankful for the post.
    A bevy of sites worth checking:

AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Analysis

9 to 5 Mac | Apple Intelligence

Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About

Daring Fireball

vCash
    Thanks

I'll keep those in mind if I am ever wondering what Apple is doing next. I have considered picking up a Mac (except that a /Libraries directory is about ridiculous) but eh, maybe some day. I'm still not sold that OSX>Linux yet. This is especially true now that Linux has the new global language front end tool, whose name escapes me. I can say I admire how OSX handles language integration, and I am jealous that Linux doesn't have a solution nearly as hot.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    Another clever idea Apple is going for is to let people have snippets of their cloud media on their own devices, not entire songs, just enough to start playing while the rest of the song is buffering. I guess it would hit device storage but gain on "experience" - no one likes to sit and wait for "buffering" or "loading".

It looks like Apple is trying to make cloud experience more humane - no uploading tons of stuff for hours, and no waiting time for media to start playing either. Clever.

Awesome. Trep must have Jobs' ear. He knows so much Apple hasn't even announced yet.

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    Any ideas about iOS 5? Will it bring widgets and other homescreen gimmicks? iOS looks really stale these days.
    You could just WAIT until next week. Nobody knows anything about iOS, iCloud or anything. You will know after Jobs tells you. Then you can come back and talk shit about it.

Can't wait.

vCash
    Thanks

But what-if scenarios are so much fun!

vCash
    Thanks

Trep doesn't live in reality. He live in a strange world of his own. Starting a "what if" game with him is like being stuck inside a flushing toilet that goes around and around but never actually flushes.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJ45 View Post
    is like being stuck inside a flushing toilet that goes around and around
    Hahaha, reminds me of the Archon Toilet!

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

(except that a /Libraries directory is about ridiculous)
    Why do you say that?

Not really - only with people that actually know what they are talking about.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Because the decision was to create said directory was done "simply because they could" and was not done for the sake of any real measurable improvement in any of their technologies. They set up /Libraries just to stick it to POSIX compliance by not going with the standard /lib POSIX compliant structure that would have made sense for keeping and training new developers. What you get now is a "Unix" like OSX that has to be hand catered to by a development team, rather than maintaining the compliance regulations their operating system was based on. They basically traded in vanity to bite the hand of those that birthed them. Arbitrarily making those sorts of changes knowing that fanboiz will swallow it is pretty shallow, in my humble opinion.

Seriously, they maintained backwards compatibility between -everything- (/bin, /etc, /dev, /usr, /tmp, /var) except shared libraries, arguably the most important part. It isn't just a "check for /Library over /lib" issue, they changed directory permissions and software logic controls, yet... they get to wear the flag of being compliant, when anyone who has developed for their OS (not apps for their products, OS level communications tools, stack management tools, etc) will likely mention that it really isn't, what with all these weird behaviors. I know that POSIX compliance is about a lot more than directories, but it just personally bugs me about the change to /Library being just to stick it to people, having no real academic advantage other than to be different.

vCash
    Thanks

WWDC 2011 sold out in half a day. Even Their speeches sell out.

Apple is a genius company. They should have an Apple class in any Business university program.
    Last edited by RJ45; 2nd June 2011 at 08:46.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJ45 View Post
    Apple is a genius company. They should have an Apple class in any Business unilversity program.
    Couldn't agree more, I am always impressed by Apple's marketing and tactics. Even though I do not strive to own their products, I can objectively see their skill and ability. The iPhone is impressive, I think. Even if I disagree with some of their administrative decisions, when I use my friend's iPhones, I am always left thinking... "You know... feature X would be sweet on my Droidphone..."

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Because the decision was to create said directory was done "simply because they could" and was not done for the sake of any real measurable improvement in any of their technologies.
    I think you read quite a bit too much obsessively into this, than is actually there.

/Library is there because it's human readable and understandable. That's all. It's also there because it contains a lot of contents that is specifically OS X custom. That's all.

Contrary to popular geek belief, Apple doesn't care about being out to screw with people.

vCash
    Thanks

No, that is what /lib is for. Shared libraries. /Library also holds shared Libraries, exact same function. OSX specific stuff goes in /System. I'm not trying to demonize Apple, but it still seems like a pointless, and fruitless change.

vCash
    Thanks

Well. It's been confirmed.

Monday.

Apple CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software — Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch; and iCloud, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.
    ---Update---

Our time that's like Monday at Midnight, so Tuesday morning we'll know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast