Thread: Steve Jobs to deliver keynote next week - topics confirmed

vCash
    Thanks

Steve Jobs to deliver keynote next week - topics confirmed

No surprises

• iOS 5
    • OSX Lion
    • iCLoud Service

Also, for those who recently bought a Macbook Air (cthulhu **cough*** uuuhhhurrggghh)

Shipments of the Macbook Air have stopped, signaling an upgrade within the next couple of weeks.

iPhone will soon get an A5 chip, big deal, so the big thing this year is iOS 5 and this iCloud Service. That'll be basically it since they already showed a bit of Lion.

They better deliver on iOS 5 or I will be pissed.

There is this crazy headline

Apple Confirms iPad Upgrade, iCloud & New OS, Jobs Keynote Next Week - Channel News

That talks of an iPad upgrade, yet in the article it mentions nothing of it. Haven't found any other articles that mentioned this. I doubt it. Seriously doubt it. Maybe the same iPad but "HD" model with a retina display, but I still doubt it.

vCash
    Thanks

Apple is always surprising and breaking with tradition. This year is no different.

They've never disclosed topics for WWDC before the event, always keeping it in secrecy, this is the first. Hooray!

Also they've always announced the next iteration of iPhone. Not anymore. That tradition has also been ditched.

iCloud is amazing - unlike with all other cloud services you don't need to upload your music anywhere - Apple would just scan your library and find the same tracks on its own servers, I mean they already have them on iTunes, no need to upload them up again. If your music is somewhat lower quality, low bitrate, iCloud will provide you with their standard, high bit rate versions of the same songs. Isn't it wonderful!

The only question is - what to do about all non-iTunes music and videos people *might* have on their computers? iCloud won't provide high quality copy for your pirated stuff, will it?

And the other question - to cloud or not to cloud, has been answered. Cloud is the future, you just have to choose which cloud. Amazon and Google are restricted to the US only, Apple is more likely to go international sooner. I believe, though ,that buying legal music from iTunes is not possible in Thailand yet, just like with Amazon and Google.

Apple is likely to cut all the sweet and proper deals with all the big record companies, something Google has failed at. We all love record companies so much we should embrace Apple right away. Say no to illegal downloads!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trep View Post
    iCloud is amazing - unlike with all other cloud services you don't need to upload your music anywhere - Apple would just scan your library and find the same tracks on its own servers, I mean they already have them on iTunes, no need to upload them up again. If your music is somewhat lower quality, low bitrate, iCloud will provide you with their standard, high bit rate versions of the same songs. Isn't it wonderful!
    Yea... no. There has yet to be any service that can do anything with music in Thai/Korean/Chinese/Japanese/and English. I'll be happy once I see any company embrace the idea that we might listen to music and have id tags for mp3s not in our native language. I have very low hope for this working for me. Though, I bet for the people with 5,000 copies of Purple Rain, it will be amazingly useful.
    Is le He.

vCash
    Thanks

Trep is amazing. He knows how a service that hasn't been unveiled by Apple will work, exactly.

vCash
    Thanks

iCloud won't provide high quality copy for your pirated stuff, will it?
    Depends on if you take care of your collection and maintain your tags and id metadata on your files. My Chinese downloads (100%legal) are years ahead of the public torrent shitpools out there, simply because it is a from a community of fans doing something they all enjoy. Don't thumb your nose at pirate stuff as if it is all the same shit you may have come in contact with.

Though small, there does exist a community who produces pirate content that is of much higher quality than that which is produced by the companies looking to profit from said lesser effort. non-private trackers are pretty good in my experience. I don't pirate anything anymore and haven't for a while, but I'm not going to paint everyone with a brush of evil. I recall a time when we just couldn't buy things we may have wanted. The globalization has corrected that for the most part, as has Google Translate.

To answer your question, for media, the only difference between pirate media and ripped media is the ID metadata, generally speaking. I don't imagine why it wouldn't, unless it is going to only work for your stuff from the iTunes music store, in which case it can suck a dick. AmazonMP3 is pretty good. If iTunes won't recognize my legally purchased Zhain Bihka album, that is their problem, we can not just go somewhere else, thankfully.
    Last edited by Citan; 1st June 2011 at 11:46. Reason: typo

vCash
    Thanks

I couldn't give 3 shits about iCloud. I plug it in and it syncs in 2 seconds. iOS 5 is the biggy.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RJ45 View Post
    Trep is amazing. He knows how a service that hasn't been unveiled by Apple will work, exactly.
    trep knows, don't you know? You don't know anything, apparently. He's tight with Steve Jobs...

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    To answer your question, for media, the only difference between pirate media and ripped media is the ID metadata, generally speaking. I don't imagine why it wouldn't, unless it is going to only work for your stuff from the iTunes music store, in which case it can suck a dick. AmazonMP3 is pretty good. If iTunes won't recognize my legally purchased Zhain Bihka album, that is their problem, we can not just go somewhere else, thankfully.
    If your stuff is cleanly ripped, and tagged using Gracenote's database (same as what Apple uses), chances are it will be equally recognized - plus, there's a pretty good chance that Apple's engineers already thought about this.

I have a feeling that iCloud goes several steps further than just music sharing/storing - the sudden release of iWork for iPhone / iPad as universal binaries, and enhanced abilities to share, is probably also leaning in the right direction. I have a feeling that iWorks documents and a whole lot of other things will be openly shareable soon....

---Update---

As for iOS 5 - the most that will be released at WWDC is the beta of iOS 5 (as well as a full beta of Lion).

vCash
    Thanks

Citan, legally downloaded media has some kind of DRM, digital rights management attached to them, not just ID tags that anyone can edit himself.

So what happens if you have illegal copy of some song in your library? Will iCloud charge you for the legal copy from iTunes? Will it report you to the owners? What will happen to legal CD rips vs torrented ones?

Or will they just provide you with their own copy anyway?

I guess we have to wait for WWDC to find out.

As for quality - what will happen to lossless .flac music. Downgrading them to mp3 in the cloud would be disappointing.

Apple just bought icloud.com domain, btw.

vCash
    Thanks

Citan, legally downloaded media has some kind of DRM, digital rights management attached to them, not just ID tags that anyone can edit himself.
    iTunes does, not all media outlets do it this way as far as I know. Then again, I don't care much about it, streaming media is fine by me.

vCash
    Thanks

So what happens if you have illegal copy of some song in your library?
    Will iCloud charge you for the legal copy from iTunes?
    Will it report you to the owners?
    What will happen to legal CD rips vs torrented ones?
    Or will they just provide you with their own copy anyway?

I guess we have to wait for WWDC to find out.
    Imagine that...

As for quality - what will happen to lossless .flac music. Downgrading them to mp3 in the cloud would be disappointing.
    When Trep starts speaking "Tech", RUN!

Apple just bought icloud.com domain, btw.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citan View Post
    iTunes does, not all media outlets do it this way as far as I know. Then again, I don't care much about it, streaming media is fine by me.
    iTunes no longer has their DRM on most of their music - your (the purchaser's) information is embedded within the file, but you can freely move the files around now. That was one of the benefits of the iTunes [+] music format - 256Kbps, and no more DRM. Been that way for a while.

vCash
    Thanks

Oooh, nice, so like Steam then?

vCash
    Thanks

Another clever idea Apple is going for is to let people have snippets of their cloud media on their own devices, not entire songs, just enough to start playing while the rest of the song is buffering. I guess it would hit device storage but gain on "experience" - no one likes to sit and wait for "buffering" or "loading".

It looks like Apple is trying to make cloud experience more humane - no uploading tons of stuff for hours, and no waiting time for media to start playing either. Clever.

vCash
    Thanks

Clever.
    It could be, I do feel that if anyone can build an experience into an idea, it would be the engineers at Apple.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I love how trep is talking as if he knows what's actually going to happen, because of something he's read on another site, that he thinks we don't know about. Funny, that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast