Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Place to buy good computer speakers?

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Place to buy good computer speakers?

I'm desperate for a good pair of computer speakers. I've been using a pair of Harmon/Kardon speakers that came with my wife's computer 7 years ago and they've given me 7 years of great service, but they are seriously starting to give up the ghost now.

Every computer shop I go in seems to have speakers in the 500 baht to 1500 baht range and they just aren't good enough. In fact I bought some for about 1500 baht and gave them away the very next day.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune - maybe up to 10,000 baht let's say because it's only so I can watch TV and movies on my pc. I don't need sensurround and lots of bells and whistles. Just two speakers that can crank out the noise without sounding tinny.

Any good shops around?
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

I would think Panthip Plaza would have everything from ฿500 to ฿20,000. Worth a check, no?
    Frederick Douglass: Find out just what any people will quietly submit to
    and you have found out the exact measure of injustice
    and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these
    will continue till they are resisted with either
    words or blows, or with both.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn;
    ďDonít believe them, donít fear them, donít ask
    anything of them.Ē

3. The Following User Says Thank You to THX 1133 For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

I tend to avoid Panthip if I can.

vCash
    Thanks

as lomng as it has the right size headphone plug even tesco/big c et al would be fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to po3try For This Useful Post:

better a tosser than .... Array manned-rake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I bought an Altec-Lansing set with woofer for around 4K at a shop in Pantip... amazingly good sound. I'd stay with a recognizable brand. Some of the speakers they sell at Big C have BIG noise but I wouldn't want to listen to music on them... too much distortion.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his _________ depends upon his not understanding it!"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to manned-rake For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

How about IT Square on Chaeng Watthana? It's huge, modern and new with a good array of shops.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natalie8 View Post
    How about IT Square on Chaeng Watthana?
    Very far from where I am Nat.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by po3try View Post
    as lomng as it has the right size headphone plug even tesco/big c et al would be fine.
    you, sir, are a man of exquisite taste.

if on the other hand sound quality matters, these Products look interesting. You'd need an amplifier. i've not heard them yet but they're made right here in Thailand so you can go to their place and give a listen if you're interested. there was quite a buzz among audio nerds about Norh speakers a few years ago (lots of claims about budget loudspeakers that compete with high end, etc), but the engineer who designed 'em makes more money doing computer stuff so the audio stuff is poorly marketed.

the odd shape is based on a small drum with a big sound that the engineer heard and thought might apply well to speakers. if i like what i hear i'm probably getting some for my home theater setup but it'll be a few months as i also need a receiver or they'll be no more than paperweights.

they make a speaker in a marble enclosure (instead of wood). the mass of it is supposed to reduce cabinet vibrations, and give you sharper stereo imaging (even if you set up a 7.1 speaker system you still have two ears and hear in stereo). if i can hear the difference i might go for this, but i as i said i haven't heard 'em myself yet.

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by manned-rake View Post
    I'd stay with a recognizable brand.
    i'd go one step further and recommend sticking with a brand that's known for audio, not computer stuff. Altec Lansing and HK qualify. one place that might be worth looking is among the posh audio joints at Paragon (i forget what floor i think it's 2nd from the top), easy to spot 'cause there's a Bang and Olufsen shop and another shop with a McIntosh amp or two in the window. i found the headphones i like there (Westone 'earplug' style) and in spite of the posh setting the price was about the same as the guy in Pantip.
    Imodium can't stop me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zeusbheld For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

I've a second-hand set of these. Will let them go for 11,00o k baht. Each porta-potty cranks out 2-watts of sound, with a frequency range of 80Hz to 25kHz, and a supposed signal-to-noise ratio of >98dB.

...interested?
    Fitting triangles into squares.

vCash
    Thanks

For computer speakers, I'd go Logitech, Creative Labs, or Altec Lansing (in that order). You get what you pay for with these speakers as Altec Lansing has a lot of crappy low priced models.

You won't go wrong with something like this:
    Newegg.com - Logitech Z623 200 w 2.1 Speaker System, THX-Certified

Logitech has quite a few 5.1 or 7.1 setups if you need a surround system. For places to buy them, I'd check out some Fortune Town as it is a little less chaotic than Pantip but the same stuff. If you want, I'll swing by there tomorrow during lunch and see if I can find some high quality logitech setups.

Personally, I prefer buying an actual home theater system and hooking my computer up to it. I've got my computer hooked up to a Philips surround system right now. I paid about 12-13K baht for it but its nice watching movies, especially paired with a nice size lcd.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    if on the other hand sound quality matters
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    i've not heard them yet
    yeah jog on.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    I'd go Logitech, Creative Labs, or Altec Lansing
    i'd not spend money on any computer speakers.

---Update---

yeah jog on.
    why because i've read about them, been told about them, and tried to trick someone else into testing 'em before i make the ride out there? then there's you, so deaf you can enjoy the fine products on offer at 'Tesco Big C et al'? incidentally i [i]have[i/i] heard those (against my will), and if you'd rather listen to music on those than, say, sit in silence, listen to soi dogs bark all night, or poke out your eardrums with chopsticks then i need to apologize for underestimating your stupidity.

if i need to jog on, you need to start calculating whether it's possible to run a marathon at world-class speed with your head buried so deep in your colon, child.

vCash
    Thanks

for the 10k he wants to spend he's gonna get the same type of stuff from anywhere. just 'cos this new shop is indy and cool and tesco is a big corporation you hipster types think its the dogs bollocks.

Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    I tend to avoid Panthip if I can.
    Does that answer your question?
    If you're scared of Pantip. try Fortune tower for a less in your face experience.

Failing that you can buy a sony amp with small speakers that you can pulg into you Computer. You see them in the DVD palyer isles in Tesco and Big C. They really work!
    Those that want to read whatever they can want all freedoms, but have to understand they can have freedom, but it must be within the law.

vCash
    Thanks

for the 10k he wants to spend he's gonna get the same type of stuff from anywhere. just 'cos this new shop is indy and cool and tesco is a big corporation you hipster types think its the dogs bollocks.
    no really, you go listen to Aconatic, compare 'em to even the crappiest Altec Lansing or Logitec and if you can't hear the difference you shouldn't waste your money on any speakers ever, and you should probably lop your ears right off.

10k should get you something pretty decent, especially if they don't need built-in amplification. problem is, you'd have to forego the convenience of strolling through Lotat, do your homework and actually give a shit about what you're throwing your money at to achieve the lofty heights of adequacy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast