-->

Thread: More on Internet Throttling

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

More on Internet Throttling

Ok, so in a conversation with a TRUE tech support chic, she tells me that there's nothing wrong with my mobile number. Yeah fucking right. It was quite obvious I was being throttled, because my wife, who is on the exact same plan with the exact same phone model has a faster connection on hers.

SO I ask the TRUE representative if she can check my DATA usage. No she can't. So how the f--k can she say everything is fine and dandy? SO I remind her about their own policy that they throttle the speed down to .05 Mbps if you reach the 2 gigabyte download limit. She doesn't outright tell me that is the most probably reason why my connection speed is fucked, but she does answer another question I had:

So WHEN does my usage 'reset'?

She said the 15th of every month.

But the following evening, (the 9th... yeah, this was a while back) I got my normal connection speed back -- near 3-4Mbps (this is on 3G) and I proceeded to download 3GB worth of stuff before I found the connection throttled again the next morning.

I checked the usage on my iPhone (under settings > general > usage > cellular usage ) and it was at 3GB. Mywi confirms this as well -- that I downloaded 3GB and it pretty much stopped then and there. Well, that's 1GB more than the supposed 2GB limit, but I'm not complaining.

So I thought I was fooked for the rest of the month -- but after getting the yellow screen of death just two days ago (something that affects jailbroken iPhones that have fully depleted their battery charge) I restored my iPhone to unjailbroken-state. Still the same. I was still throttled. However, I checked my usage again and it was like a couple hundred GIGABYTES -- since June (the last data reset point, and more on iTunes' fucked up backup system for iOS in another post later).

I reset the usage counter.

I got an idea just then and there... what if I check my speed ~now~ ? Fucking hell that MIGHT HAVE done it... coz when I did, I was getting 3-4Mbps !!!!! This has to be a coincidence, after all, the TRUE rep said my data usage will reset on the 15th of the month right?? But then what happened on the 9th when I got my good speed back??

That got me thinking more. Wait... on the 9th I had also reset my usage (under settings > general > usage > cellular usage ).

Could it be?

Is TRUE using the iPHONE usage data to throttle your connection? But that's simply RETARDED! No one resets their connection -- that would keep them throttled indefinitely. TRUE can't reset your connection data by themselves either. Is there some hidden data (like, data download PER MONTH) that we DON'T see (but developers/isps can use)? Also why would they use data that is on the device -- they can monitor this usage themselves on their own equipment.

So this just doesn't make sense.

However, it WOULD be interesting to see if anyone else here has been throttled (on an iPHone) on TRUE's 3G service -- to test this theory. Go to your settings > general > usage > cellular usage and reset the statistics. Check your speed again. If you've found yourself 'unthrottled' then I'll be damned.

I can test this out myself by restoring my phone again (so the statistics will read that I've been over the limit) but the thought of it gives me great pause -- Restoring on the iPhone -- especially with my iPhone filled to capacity, takes fucking ages. 3 hours at least.

I think I'll wait till someone else can try this out. I've been meaning to use my wife's phone, but she's nowhere near the limit (and she's never had her connection throttled so... yeah... wouldn't want to put her on the radar now).
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

No way to check on my s2 =(

vCash
    Thanks

There are a ton of Marketplace apps for monitoring your 3g data usage. 3G Watchdog is one I've heard of specifically but there are quite a few.

Established User Array Tungsten's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theanimaster View Post
    However, it WOULD be interesting to see if anyone else here has been throttled (on an iPHone) on TRUE's 3G service -- to test this theory.
    I just checked an hour ago, with a tethered connection to TRUE 3G - but no throttling apparent. Got 4Mbps dl on the MacBook and 0.5 Mbps on the iPhone. I'm on the unlimited data plan though so that could be the reason.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I never get throttled down. I've done way more than 3GB, but last month there were issues. I would be down at very low speeds and back at 5-6 even 7MBPS the next day and a few hours later back down again. It was fine on the 10th. I think they were doing something with the 3G connections. While I had the issue, I put another SIM with True H and the speed was normal.

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hangover View Post
    I never get throttled down. I've done way more than 3GB, but last month there were issues. I would be down at very low speeds and back at 5-6 even 7MBPS the next day and a few hours later back down again. It was fine on the 10th. I think they were doing something with the 3G connections. While I had the issue, I put another SIM with True H and the speed was normal.
    That's what they said, that they're "improving the network". Perhaps...

Also note that I've been downloading like crazy in the past and I've never been throttled. It might be that they will eventually "catch" you, which means that you can continue doing what you're doing until they do; something I read about with AT&T customers in the US getting the "You are now in the top 5% of users -- who download a hellofalottashit.... and if this is what you are now entitled to..." : Are you in AT&T's top 5 percent of heaviest data users? | Signal Strength - CNET News

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten View Post
    I just checked an hour ago, with a tethered connection to TRUE 3G - but no throttling apparent. Got 4Mbps dl on the MacBook and 0.5 Mbps on the iPhone. I'm on the unlimited data plan though so that could be the reason.
    I missed this post, and I'm late to reply: YES. That's what I'm getting as well (now)! In fact, a few nights ago I was getting higher speeds on my macbook. Now that's just weird. All on 3G, of course. The following day I measured these speeds again at the WIFI hotspot and I was getting throttled to HALF the speed on the wifi hotspot but 3G was OK, giving me the same speed.

I think this is VERY important to point out (at this point)!
    Last edited by theanimaster; 20th February 2012 at 11:50.