-->

Thread: iOS Backup Madness -- BEWARE, be VERY aware.

Windoze Basher Array theanimaster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

iOS Backup Madness -- BEWARE, be VERY aware.

iOS has a nice backup system -- backs up to your computer, or even in the cloud. Every time you sync your device it backs it up. All your data is nice n' safe. You've got nothing to worry about.

Right?

WRONG. Yes, iOS backs up every time you sync your device. THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

And though you can disable this automatic backing-up of data, it isn't clear WHEN iTunes or iCloud decides to back up your data and worse -- WHEN IT WILL OVER WRITE YOUR OLD BACKUPS.

See, I like to tinker with my iPhone a lot, and sometimes I get it into shit that requires me to restore it -- to a backup I'm sure of works. It worked alright for me, but recently I found that a backup I ~DID~ want was overwritten by one that was made just recently -- EVEN THOUGH I MANUALLY INITIATED THE BACKUP MYSELF. The fucking auto-back up overwrote my manual backup. This SHOULDN'T be the case because since we have automatic backups, it SHOULD be considered that any MANUALLY initiated backups are the ones we want to keep.

In other words, automatic backups are cool -- but they should only overwrite other automatic backups! They shouldn't overwrite back-ups that have been done manually!

And yet I still see shitloads of backups that I NEVER USE!! And I have to manually delete these.

Fortunately for me, I had a backup at the beginning of the month. I was lucky.

My wife wasn't.

She had me restore her phone because it was acting up. So I backed it up before restoring it, and then I restored it, but didn't restore the backup as we were going to see if she can work with a fresh device. Two seconds later, she wants all her data back. So I go to restore it and guess what?

THE BACKUP I JUST MADE WAS OVERWRITTEN BY THE NEWLY RESTORED DATA -- in other words -- fuck it, I have to use the next-oldest backup which is ... NOVEMBER. Thanks for fucking nothing Apple. WHY did iTunes fucking backup over my MANUAL back-up of the OLD data... WHY? That's not it. It did THAT and then it made a SECOND fucking back-up of THE SAME FUCKING data. WOW. So it erases all my recent data and makes TWO copies of the same new shit which I DON'T want. Brilfuckinglant.

So what did ~I~ do wrong? Well, I ~think~ this shit could have been prevented if only I had re-named the device when restoring it. This seems to have worked for my iPhone -- I took extra measures and when iTunes asked me to name the iPhone, I gave it a different name than its previous one -- so the automatic backup it made was of a different device name (thinking it was a different device).

But STILL. WHO would've fucking guessed that? People who tinker with this shit, that's who -- but Apple stuff is not supposedly meant for people who like to tinker with shit!!! Again, it SHOULD be that automatic backups should NOT be written over manual ones. At the moment it seems this only applies to backups that have actually been used to restore a device regardless of whether it was an automatic backup or a manual one ... again... it appears to be this way, so don't take my word on it.

Moral of the story -- iTunes backups can just fucking go without you giving the nod, yet iTunes keeps copies of shit you'll never use. Go figure. Apple needs to address this. Oh but they'll just tell you "you should've fucking used TIME MACHINE to backup your shit". Well, I ~don't~ and I never intend to, just to protect backups that should have been protected by fucking iTunes to begin with!!

Or how about just a little DO NOT EVER FUCKING DELETE THIS BACK-UP option?? How hard is THAT Apple?
    I wish I could afford to make just a dollar a year.

Just Buy a Mac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Can you just set it to not back up automatically and do manual backups every time? I've only ever performed backups right before I planned to restore a device so I haven't run into this issue. Or alternatively you could move your back files to a different folder after performing a manual backup so that it doesn't try to overwrite it next time you sync.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
    Can you just set it to not back up automatically and do manual backups every time?
    Yes, but it takes some fiddling with command-line. It's nothing hard at all, but really -- I think Apple should make it a user choice right then and there, without the need to punch in 'nix commands in Terminal. Some backups can take AGES if you don't regularly back up, and though regular back-ups should be well -- a regular thing, some people get into these moments where they just can't be arsed to have iTunes back up their device -- they just want a quick sync'n go.

I've only ever performed backups right before I planned to restore a device so I haven't run into this issue.
    Then I take it your restores have all gone well. In my wife's case, where she wanted to revert to the state just before the restore, stupid iTunes backed up over that state. But wait -- you say you only ever backup before restoring? Note that by default iTunes ALWAYS automatically backs up the device with every sync (except syncs that happen right after, while the cable's still plugged in). So either you don't sync or you've gone into Terminal and disabled the auto-backup.

How to turn off auto-backup (not to be confused with auto-sync): Disable iTunes iPhone backup

Or alternatively you could move your back files to a different folder after performing a manual backup so that it doesn't try to overwrite it next time you sync.
    Yeah, but it's a bitch -- Apple scrambles the names of the backups Why??

I recommend you better change the the name of your iPhone to a different name immediately after restoring (in the 'give your iPhone a name' stage) when skipping the 'restore from this backup...' stage, that way, if something does go wrong and you need to restore to the state before the restore, you can. Otherwise iTunes overwrites that manual backup -- sometimes. That's the whole problem -- it's a very moody app.

vCash
    Thanks

is there a way to set up iterated (rolling) backups? either through iOS or a third-party app?
    Imodium can't stop me.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    is there a way to set up iterated (rolling) backups? either through iOS or a third-party app?
    Unfortunately not. I've been constantly in search of one. There was this app that claimed it could read data from iOS backups (which I wanted for archiving sms) but it was for the really old iOS.