Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is volunteering in the sticks a good idea?

New Member Array
    Brisbane, Australia - heading to thailand
    vCash
    Thanks

is volunteering in the sticks a good idea?

Hi Kids, Its been a while since I introduced myself of this here forum. You might remember me from such threads as "Im freaking out about rabies" and "help me I'm new". I have now arrived in Thailand, I have been here three weeks and am currently in Chiang Mai. I am meeting a lady this afternoon about teaching in her village in Nhong Keow. Does anyone have any thoughts on this place? I dare say the work wont be paid; she wants me to live in her house and teach her sisters as well as the hill tribe chidren at the local school, which I am happy to do for a few months until the next term starts. Although I dont want to end up feeling like a slave!
    There are just a few questions that are bothering me:
    Does anyone know where I can get some useful books for grammar and TEFL in Chiang Mai?
    And does everyone feel this nervous before going out to teach for the first time? I kinda feel like I'm not prepared enough!!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: is volunteering in the sticks a good idea?

In the North I would say the sticks are a better deal than in the South. Why not join The Peace Corps? Pay's better.

vCash
    Thanks

You can 'volunteer' at some poor schools in Isaan [the Northeast] and be paid up to 20k baht a month plus work permit.

As far as I know, the money comes from the government and not the school/parents.

vCash
    Thanks

welcome to the board wendy, good to have you here...

please protect yourself first; be careful what this women is expecting, very careful. things can appear sweet and peachy until things get sour...

if you're nervous, that's for good reason; take your time, don't allow yourself to be rushed into anything, if you're not confident take the time to get confident.

i'm sure one of our chiang mai-ites will be able to point you towards a good educational bookshop...

most of all, good luck!

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

Good luck Wendy. You sound smart. Don't change!

"If you're not interested in changing where you work (and thus the student population, obviously) then a) your success at applying various and sundry teaching techniques is unlikely to have anything to do with how effective they are in general, and b) your sweeping generalizations about Thai students serve no purpose but to fuel your inertia and your feeling of being an 'insider'. Sadly (for you) few who read your sweeping generalizations will perceive it that way, but hey if it makes you feel good, knock yourself out." -zeusdogg

vCash
    Thanks

You might remember me from such threads as "Im freaking out about rabies"
    Ah, the memories (begins humming "The Way We Were" while wiping away a lonely tear).

And does everyone feel this nervous before going out to teach for the first time?
    Yep (unless they're sociopaths).

I kinda feel like I'm not prepared enough!!
    You're not.

But don't worry, no-one is, and the only way to get the hang of it is on the job. Have fun with it, maintain a healthy sense of the absurd, and you'll be fine. All the best.
    Or would you like to swing on a star?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Please check your PM inbox for addresses of two Chiang Mai bookstores, Wendy.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

New Member Array
    Brisbane, Australia - heading to thailand
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    if you're nervous, that's for good reason; take your time, don't allow yourself to be rushed into anything, if you're not confident take the time to get confident.
    Thanks man, that's really good advice. It's a kind of weird situation, and I am feeling uncomfortable. I feel like Im getting pushed into it and not having much of a chance to ask questions! The other strange thing is that she doesnt seem to want to ask me many questions either. Is it strange that this lady is happy to have me stay in her home without knowing anything about me? I got in contact with her through this guy in the US who is opening a school for hill tribe kids in the north. I havent met him either and only got in contact with him through the net. Im not exactly sure what he has told her about me....

So yeah, based on your advice and my most recent ramblings, I guess I should clear up all my concerns before I do anything.
    apologies for the rambling...
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger
    In the North I would say the sticks are a better deal than in the South. Why not join The Peace Corps? Pay's better.

Im not sure, but do you have to be a U.S citizen to join the peace corps??
    Last edited by wendy; 21st August 2006 at 17:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I suppose that the reason she isn't asking any questions is because you're not being paid.

Just from what you have written wendy, I would suggest you give the arrangement a definite pass. There's really nothing in it for you and you sound like the kind of person others might want to take advantage of.

Seriously, I'd consider giving this a pass. You're not being paid, why take any risks. Better you take a part time position just to pay the bills and wait for the new term.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

I should clear up all my concerns before I do anything.
    without a doubt wendy!

don't worry, just preotect yourself and use your head; you'll be fine.

good luck!

vCash
    Thanks

also, this might be a bit of a case of "eyes are bigger than your stomach". I think that volunteering is a great idea, but for your first gig to be living in some nowhere village with no income just seems like a recipe for disaster.

Find an orphanage in Chiang Mai that could use the help, or an AIDS clinic, or some program that helps poor people get job skills, but something that you can do where you aren't so isolated... just my two cents.

good luck, and listen to your neck hairs, if they're a risin', probably for a good reason.
    "$!!str8 hood!$$" - This is how one of my student's parents ends the text messages they send me... What planet am I working on?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I agree

vCash
    Thanks

Hi Wendy, I would like to know what path you decide to go down and how you get on, (if there is any internet access in the village, should you choose to go down that route)
    Most of all Chok Dee!

The trouble 'n' strife Array Gallowglass's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You might remember me from such threads as "Im freaking out about rabies" and "help me I'm new".

Totally off topic, but reading that sentence just reminded me of 'Troy Mclure' (I think that's right) from the Simpsons.
    Last edited by Gallowglass; 26th August 2006 at 00:54.

vCash
    Thanks

Totally off topic, but reading that sentence just reminded me of 'Troy Mclure' (I think that's right) from the Simpsons.
    Me too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast