Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volunteering

expatwannabe

Volunteering

Ok, this may be a sore subject. Pretty much everyone in this forum is getting paid for their work. But I'm interested in volunteering or being a 'scab.' After reviewing a number of volunteering websites, I've notice a common theme -- they want "me" to pay "them" for the privilege of teaching orphans, monks, poor children, etc. Blah, blah, blah..

Does anyone know a decent non-profit in CM to volunteer with, but which doesn't also want my money?

Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Volunteering

I do not understand why these places expect volunteers to pay. I see these ads all the time too. Someone out there should have an answer for the OP.

vCash
    Thanks

No reason for this to be a "sore" subject here - volunteer teaching at a temple isn't going to take bread out of my mouth.

I haven't checked out the websites, but here's a few guesses.

The agencies are located at home, and run programs for gap year students, maybe providing airfare and accomodation.

Maybe they're located here, but don't have the resources to pay the administrative costs for foreign volunteer workers, e.g. Work Permits, Non-Immi visas (which I assume is needed for the WP). Maybe they even have to leave a deposit with Immi the way employers do if they want to hire workers from Burma.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Volunteer teachers please go to Burma, Cambodia or Loas. Thank You...
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Volunteer teachers who like the Thai culture can stay.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

up:
    where'd everyone go??

expatwannabe

Asper .. correct about a lot of agencies being located abroad and needing to recoop costs. Also true that sometimes they provide airfare. But what I've seen is that many are charging administrative fees, food, housing, transportation, etc. Also, I don't think a WP is required for volunteer work (correct me if I'm wrong). I think you only need a WP if you're getting paid. So Thai-based agencies are seeing my generousity not as an opportunity to help poor kids struggling with English, but as an opportunity to take my money in exchange for identifying people who need help. I can do that myself. It would easy to post an Ad in the CM Trader or some such offering free tutoring -- I'd be overwhelmed, I'm sure. I'd just rather serve a nonprofit, if possible. Unfortunately, the there doesn't appear to be any such thing in LOS.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

there is a volunteer at my school and she requires a WP.
    why not go it on your own. find aplace that you really like, and where they would welcome you and benefit from you, not finiancially. may be a temple, a small school, should be a small school, why do monks need to know english. better teach the kids.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Don't volunteer. Strictly speaking you still need a WP which your agency/school/'employer' won't pay for, you'll cerainly need health insurance if you've got any brains (again you'll be paying for this) and you're just feeding the profits of the school/agency owners and emboldening them to try on snappy ideas such as paying for voluntary work. Thailand isn't so poor that it requires volunteers to work for free.

. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by expatwannabe
    I'd just rather serve a nonprofit, if possible. Unfortunately, the there doesn't appear to be any such thing in LOS.
    The YMCA is a non-profit and the Chiang Mai branch has a language school.
    - Reg

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My school is in the North of Thailand. i have volunteers for free. anyone who wants to come stays at my house, free meals, a bike and no cost. anyone who gives my kids the opportunity to speak and use their English is welcome. You will work with small classes with motivated kids teaching a real curriculum that i have written. Their are 3 of us with 40 years teaching experience. you can teach as little or as much as you want to in a range of subjects depending on your skills. if your interested E.mail me on peelieorion@yahoo.com

expatwannabe

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion
    My school is in the North of Thailand. i have volunteers for free. anyone who wants to come stays at my house, free meals, a bike and no cost. anyone who gives my kids the opportunity to speak and use their English is welcome. You will work with small classes with motivated kids teaching a real curriculum that i have written. Their are 3 of us with 40 years teaching experience. you can teach as little or as much as you want to in a range of subjects depending on your skills. if your interested E.mail me on peelieorion@yahoo.com
    Your school is in the north of Thailand .. but is it in Chiang Mai?
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Reg Young
    The YMCA is a non-profit and the Chiang Mai branch has a language school.
    - Reg
    Thanks, Reg. And what happened to your karma?
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by paully
    Thailand isn't so poor that it requires volunteers to work for free.
    Thanks, Paully, but perhaps I haven't presented my core motivation clearly enough.

I don't need the money. Therefore, I'll enjoy teaching more if I know I'm not constrained by the expectations resulting from my being paid. I.e., "we need you to work on Saturday and Sunday, at English camp, on Thai holidays, and just whenever we feel like it because when you work for us, you are in fact an indentured servant, aka our white bitch."

Of course, I'm not sure they'd phrase it exactly that way.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Thanks for making my point, Bruce. "Program cost: $1,990"

I said I'm not paying for it, and dammit that's what I meant.
    Last edited by expatwannabe; 28th October 2006 at 20:32. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion
    Sounds good, expatwannabe.

What's your experience of the WP requirement though, Peelieorion? I've seen on the Immi website (sorry no linky) that you can't do volunteer work on a Tourist Visa.

expatwannabe

I'm not a tourist visa -- I'm on a non-Imm B, btw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast