-->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada blocks Progress, says Bono!

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Canada blocks Progress, says Bono!

This article caught my eye today. Canada's prime minister is blocking progress for aid for Africa, says Bono from the group "U2," who is an activist for Humanitarian aid for Africa. Your thoughts?

Bono blasts Harper, accuses him of blocking progress on Africa aid

Fri Jun 8, 6:45 PM

By Alexander Panetta
    HEILIGENDAMM, Germany (CP) - One of the world's biggest rock stars tore a strip off Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Friday and accused him of blocking a meaningful deal on African aid at the G8 summit.

The leaders of the world's eight wealthiest democracies have pledged US$60 billion in aid to the world's poorest continent, but much of it consists of promises they've already made previously.

It was not the absence of new cash that most angered anti-poverty activists, but a failure to produce clear targets for the world to judge whether individual countries are keeping their aid promises.

Bono, lead singer for U2 and activist for humanitarian aid, singled out Harper for criticism and accused the prime minister of blocking a deal - a charge Harper vehemently denied.

"It's completely false and the people saying this have no proof to their allegations," Harper said at a news conference as the summit ended in Germany.

But Bono said he had numerous sources at the negotiating table. "It's as if we have the place bugged, because everybody tells us," he said.

"We know who's causing the trouble and who isn't. And we know that Canada blocked progress. We know that Harper blocked it."

He described the prime minister as out of step with Canadians who enjoy a prosperous economy and surplus public finances and would like to help others.

Harper has said he's a U2 fan but he's not at the summit to meet celebrities. His office did not respond to a phone call from Bono seeking a meeting to discuss aid for Africa. Later, it was explained that the prime minister could meet Bono at another time.

Bono said he doesn't believe the prime minister was too busy to meet with him at the summit - the leaders of the United States, Germany, France and Britain managed to do so.

"It's not the pop stars he doesn't want to meet. It's the movement that we represent," Bono said.

"I said some years ago that the world needs more Canadas, and I meant it. I can't believe that this Canada has become a laggard. I think he's out of sync with the people."

His pop-star buddy and fellow activist Bob Geldof chimed in: "A man called Stephen Harper came to Heiligendamm. But Canada stayed home."

The prime minister fired back.

"We did not block an agreement. There's no reason we would block an agreement," Harper said.

"We happen to believe that when it comes to aid money that the full framework of accountability is very important."

"Canada favours transparency."
    Harper hailed the G8 agreement for also declaring that the bulk of countries receiving aid should meet the standards of good governance, accountability and democracy.
    The G8 leaders reaffirmed pledges they made two years ago in Scotland to help lift Africa out of poverty and fight diseases. The $60 billion announcement, however, is a summary of existing promises, projected over an unspecified time period.
    Anti-poverty activists were livid.
    Bono said that behind that numbers game are human beings without electricity or clean water, schools without roofs, mothers without vaccinations for their children, and AIDS victims without medicine.
    "When you're in a clinic and you see people begging for their lives, for these two pills to keep them alive, it's strange that the looks in their eyes are so passive and never accusatory," he said.
    "As I'm walking through these halls of death, it's always the doctors - and always the nurses - that shoot me that angry look and say, 'We know you can get these two pills at any corner store where you live'."
    Germany, the summit's host, worked for a declaration reaffirming past commitments because several countries appeared to be falling behind their objectives reached in Scotland.
    The 2005 summit called for doubling the amount of aid to $50 billion a year through 2010, with half of that going specifically to Africa.
    Harper says Canada will meet its targets and is the only G8 country ahead of schedule in doing so.
    His officials explained that Canada plans to increase its Africa funding to $2.1 billion for 2008-09, from $1.05 billion in 2003-04.
    But the opposition says they've only arrived at a claim to be on target by re-calculating Canada's 2005 commitment and shaving off $800 million - nearly one-third - from the $2.9 billion the Liberals promised in 2005.
    Mark Eyking, the Liberal critic for the Canadian International Development Agency, said Harper is embarrassing Canada with his remarks on Africa.
    "Instead of living up to the commitment the Liberal government made in 2005, this prime minister has broken our word, allocating only a fraction of what we committed and then going to the G8 to try to trick the world into believing that he's doubling Canada's commitment," Eyking said.
    Harper said Thursday that Africa is not Canada's "sole focus" because there are also development challenges in the Americas.
    The comment prompted questions Friday in the House of Commons.
    "Specifically, why has the government decided that Africa is no longer a Canadian priority?" asked Liberal MP Ralph Goodale.
    Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay replied that the claim is "incorrect."
    "Canada is very much on track to meet its Gleneagles commitments," referring to the previous G8 summit in Scotland.
    "Canada will double its international assistance from 2001 to 2010, with assistance to Africa also doubling in that time frame."
    Harper expressed frustration at the lack of progress in efforts to curb the violence and ease the suffering in the Darfur region of Sudan.
    "I think the central problem remains that there is not an overall political solution or a political framework, " Harper said.
    "It frustrates the hell out of me, I know it frustrates everybody."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/0..._summit_africa

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Canada blocks Progress, says Bono!

the hole g8 thing is a horrible scam for sure...

but i don't need some has-been rock singer telling me so.

beware when the line between celebrity and politics become blurred...very dangerous...
    Last edited by Unwell; 9th June 2007 at 17:22.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

Fuck Bono!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound
    It's the movement that we represent," Bono said.
    Who elected you Bono?? Go back to making Bon Jovi-esque stadium rock you utter gobshite!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Canada has a lot of problems at home where they could be spending money (in spite of what the media might be telling you)

Bono smono. Sir Geldof too. Not really interested on "their take" on the situation.

Besides, I think before we pump more money into Africa and other underdeveloped areas, it would be best to ensure more transparency.

I mean, let's look at the money given to places like Thailand. I wonder how much of the money actually gets to the people it is intended to help. I think too much of the aid is siphoned off by corrupt government officials.

Time the developing world stood a little more firmly on it's own feet.

Sounds harssh I know, but I can't help but feel increasingly like that.
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    I wonder how much of the money actually gets to the people it is intended to help. I think too much of the aid is siphoned off by corrupt government officials.
    my wife worked closely, and still does, in tsunami re-development. the amount of money that got down to the grassroots level, after the biggest global act of charity the world has ever seen, is utterly, utterly depressing.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson
    Not really interested on "their take" on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    my wife worked closely, and still does, in tsunami re-development. the amount of money that got down to the grassroots level, after the biggest global act of charity the world has ever seen, is utterly, utterly depressing.
    Sir Bono Geldof will wave their magic-wand and fix it, don't worry.

vCash
    Thanks

he's a twat too. and a farrking mick.

what is it with you lot?..getting as bad as you know who...

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^

That's what my reading tells me as well.

If it happens again, I don't think we'll see such generosity. And that too bad.

But these folks really have to clean up their act.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm not really sure what to think of this whole thing, but something sounds awry about it. On one hand they are saying that they are reaching their targets from the 2005 summit, and on the other hand, Harper seems frustrated at the violence in the Sudan.

So, what is Bono's problem then? It sounds like Canada is on target in giving aid.
    He can't make things progress faster then they are, Unfortunately.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    he's a twat too. and a farrking mick.
    He's also a big, fat, giant, circumsised Joooooo!!! A Mick Joo, they do exist.

vCash
    Thanks

Bono's seen the Southpark movie one time too many methinks.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So, do you feel better now, robi?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natalie8
    So, do you feel better now, robi?
    Much, thanks.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I take it you dislike jews, and Bono too.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phuketbound
    you dislike jews, and Bono too
    Is Bono a Joo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast