-->
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giving to beggars

Resident Pontificator Array Loxley's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Giving to beggars

is it right?...I think its an ethical conundrum...why do a small percentage of the poor go begging in farang districts and the rest of them just get on with life?

Are there gang masters who put these people out? I dont really wanna encourage some woman to be dragging her kids out on the street to postion them with empty cups outside BTS stairs but sometimes its heartbreaking

I give to Nuns, monks, blind and disabled people....what about you?
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Giving to beggers

I never give to beggars. I help dogs that can't help themselves. People can (in most cases) help themselves.
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

vCash
    Thanks

I'll usually give the missus a few bob to donate to the local temple when she goes to tambon(make merit). I think that's safer, less chance of getting caught up in something dodgy where only a small percentage of the cash actually gets put in the beggar's pocket.

I once knew of an official person who'd dress in rags on his days off and go around begging in Sukhumwit Rd. Wanna avoid shit like that.
    Fitting triangles into squares.

Resident Pontificator Array Loxley's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

was that dude Dutch?

vCash
    Thanks

Mate, he may have spoke Dutch, but he was a local.

Moving on Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I give now and then, but not to everyone. I usually give something to the disabled, and blind, and when I go to a temple. There will be beggars everywhere in Cambodia, and I don't know who to give to, and who not to. As I heard that many of the children have to give the money to parents, or other people. Good question though.
    Last edited by phuketbound; 9th February 2008 at 19:31.

Senior Member Array Piece Train's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loxley
    is it right?...I think its an ethical conundrum...why do a small percentage of the poor go begging in farang districts and the rest of them just get on with life?

Are there gang masters who put these people out? I dont really wanna encourage some woman to be dragging her kids out on the street to postion them with empty cups outside BTS stairs but sometimes its heartbreaking

I give to Nuns, monks, blind and disabled people....what about you?
    First of all, I would like to say, "Welcome back to our brainchild Forum area, the Development Forum...Mother Fucka!"

Second, I would like to say that, like I said before, the "official" State Reports from the USA state that most beggars are controlled by the Mafioso. You heard that right! They are paraded by them. Read the reports closely.

However, I would like to say that I was with a federal worker walking down the Sukhumvit area (no names nor agencies nor reason for being with this federal worker) who gave a beggar some money. I told him I thought all of these people were under the influence and controlled by the Mafia! He told me that he thought he'd give anyways because he figured the guy was poorer than him anyhow.

Third, I think the best way to give to a beggar is not to give, but to find some unfortunate who is walking along minding his own business, collecting trash or getting thrown out of a railway station by a rude security officer (I saw this today at Hua Lampong...the guy had really skinny arms and holes in the back of his dirty black pants, and his hair was all shaggy black...I thought he was old until I saw his face and the chap looked quite young). I nearly (I regret not) turned back and was going to give him a note or two. One time I did this with a guy in Lumpini Park who was minding his own business rummaging through trash. I was with an attractive Thai lady, but I didn't do it for her, I just did it for him...I gave him a baht note, said nothing and continued walking along my way.

I don't know. That's my theory. I don't have much sympathy for the traditional tin in the hand beggar nor the long-haired dreadlocked musician on the street corner back home. I mean, after all, the instrument player could at least get a job at a fast food joint or something.
    Illegal aliens will make you pay...legal aliens can get you paid.

Senior Member Array happychappy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Never give to them, 9 times out of ten there is a gangmaster who puts them out on the streets in exchange he puts a roof over their heads and feeds them, but he pockets the money, My wife takes food every morning to the monks, When we go into town we go to the market to eat, sometimes we see an Elderly Lady, who is also bent double, trying to walk around selling flowers, My Wife invites her to eat, and pays her bill, Not seen her for a long time though....Hope she is still plodding on.

vCash
    Thanks

In Kunming, China, the beggars are very organised, and I was told, have to give a percentage of their earnings to a mafia agent. Often there are young and older women, who carry a toddler who is trained to look unconcious, or crying, and these women canvas cars stopped at traffic lights. There are people with obvious deformities, and diseases such as leprosy, who I always gave money to. The ones I admired, were the shoe-shiners, who at least happily plied their trade, for very little money, and worked hard. Blessed are the shoe-shiners!
    If I gave 1 RMB to every beggar that I met every day, I would be broke!! A girlfriend once told me that they probably earn more than I do!
    Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like buggery! (Peter Brock 05)

Moving on Array
    vCash
    Thanks

^That's crazy bigbill.

In Korea, you see beggars on the stairs inside the subway. There are often some disabled Koreans who walk in the subway, and try to get money by every passenger. Quite often there is a mute/deaf person who hands out a paper to everyone, then comes back around to collect money. It is extremely sad to see, because you don't see many beggers in Korea. I often give them a bit of change, because I know that they need it.

I'm Getting Out Array carlosisgod's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Very rarely give anything to a beggar....maybe if I've had a few ales.

Farang beggars in Khao San Road really make me sick.

vCash
    Thanks

This is a problem in my own city here in the states.

I work very hard and get paid very little so it usually gets ugly if they are too aggressive. Back when I had money (ah, the nineties), I gave often. Now I realize it just encourages the whole cycle.

My cool head usually prevails but beggars do raise my ire, unless it is done in a passive way. If a person is playing an instrument or performing, that is a whole other ball of wax. I like those folks and will not hesitate to donate if they have entertainment to offer. I have a soft spot for buskers. That is hard work in comparison to an outstretched hand.

A friend of mine visited the Philippines and never turned away a single beggar. He had a regular entourage by day three. Lesson learned.

Farang beggars? Surely not Westerners?

Robert

vCash
    Thanks

i'll help people out...

"so please show no pity as we come up from the ground, and please remember as you kill us and cut us down that time will not wash clean the bloody face of history, and someone will breathe here again and they will hate you for what you leave." m.g.

Senior Member Array happychappy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlosisgod
    Farang beggars in Khao San Road really make me sick.
    You Jest, Farangs looking for hand outs in Bkk....

I'm Getting Out Array carlosisgod's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

A few times I've been down KS road and some white trash have come up to me asking for 100-500 Baht because "I've Lost MY Passport". Scum. Go to the fucken embassy.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast