-->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Support the Goodwill Foundation (Bangkok)

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Don't Support the Goodwill Foundation (Bangkok)

The Goodwill Group Foundation claims to be "a privately funded charitable organization in Bangkok designed to assist less fortunate women through educational training." It’s money comes chiefly from "Falangs": the founder, Enrique, from USA, the Annika Linden foundation, and perhaps other sponsors, provide funds to this school providing free tuition in English and computing to Thai women with low income and no higher education. The goal is to provide an alternative to prostitution. The teachers are volunteers, chiefly westerners.

At first sight, Goodwill deserves support. However, this institution has chosen to teach only Thai woman. Burmese, Laotians, or Cambodian woman living in Thailand are turned away – well, if they insist, they might be allowed to study at Goodwill if they have a work permit. But many Asian women working in Thailand have no work permit, and will never have.

The Goodwill staff justifies this saying they do not want to do anything illegal, and that they might have to close the school if police caught clandestine workers studying there.

I know that the Thai police are racist (not so much against Falangs, but certainly against poor Asians who are not Thai). But I cannot imagine that they would close a school just because illegal Burmese, Cambodians or Laotians study there. And if it is really so, then it would be better to accept illegal people despite of all, and to resist if the police tries to close a school.

What I am sure about is that Falangs who want to volunteer, or people willing to give money to a worthy cause, should ask themselves if they really want to support Goodwill. There might be other schools providing free tuition to the poor in Bangkok, schools who does not make discriminations.

vCash
    Thanks

Why don't the 'illegals' apply for an education visa?

vCash
    Thanks

The Goodwill staff justifies this saying they do not want to do anything illegal, and that they might have to close the school if police caught clandestine workers studying there.
    Not to completely disagree with your point (It would be better if they did help the immigrants), they do have a point themselves. Getting shut down is not going to help anyone and yes the police would probably do that, as there isn't much love loss between Thai's and Cambodians or Burmese right now. I mean think about why these woman don't have WP's (because the Thai Government doesn't want them here), so if this place was to start teaching illegal aliens. What do you think would happen? There are aid agencies that do deal with refugees here in Thailand, but they are sanctioned to do just that. Maybe you should lighten up on this place, unless they're embezzling or not teaching these less fortunate Thai Women.

I mean do you think the Goodwill in Los Angelos wouldn't get raided by INS if they were doing the same thing for Mexican women?
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

[quote="keeshou"]
    I mean do you think the Goodwill in Los Angeles wouldn't get raided by INS if they were doing the same thing for Mexican women?
    Keeshou, I don’t know much about USA and California. I am a German citizen born in Geneva (French-speaking part of Switzerland), and I can assure you that in Geneva, it would be unthinkable that police raid a school just because they teach illegal foreigners.

I went once to Tucson, Arizona, and I happened to visit a school set up for foreigners, teaching English, computing, and far more. Free of charge, and with no identification asked. Some students might be clandestine immigrants. The teachers do not want to know about. I do not remember where the funds came from. But this school was certainly not clandestine.

I do not know if elsewhere in the USA, it is like in Tucson.

I know that Thai police can be rude with foreigners from neighboring countries living in Thailand. But I don't know if they would go that far.

vCash
    Thanks

Keeshou, I don’t know much about USA and California. I am a German citizen born in Geneva (French-speaking part of Switzerland), and I can assure you that in Geneva, it would be unthinkable that police raid a school just because they teach illegal foreigners.

I went once to Tucson, Arizona, and I happened to visit a school set up for foreigners, teaching English, computing, and far more. Free of charge, and with no identification asked. Some students might be clandestine immigrants. The teachers do not want to know about. I do not remember where the funds came from. But this school was certainly not clandestine.
    I'm not saying I agree with it. I just think that they have a right to be paranoid. Tuscon is pretty close to where I live in the States (San Diego). I don't agree with the INS attitude there either. I grew up with kids who have relatives on both side of the border. It's stupid, but it's reality to pin headed government types.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Ludwin, if the school accepted illegal immigrants, it would be closed down. Quite possibly the administrators and teachers would be arrested. I'm sure that's why the school is open only to Thais and those with the right visas. The attitude of the local police leaves a lot to be desired, so can you really blame the charity for its solution?

vCash
    Thanks

don't ask don't tell
    ลาน้องก่อน พี่จนถึงต้องจำจาก, ถึงแม้พี่จะหลงรัก ฐานะพาพราก ต้องจากจอมใจ
    ถ้าหากมั่งมี แล้วพี่จะคืนมาใหม่, ไม่ว่าจะอยู่แห่งไหน จะนานเท่าไร ยังไม่ลืมบาง...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davidbkk
    Ludwin, if the school accepted illegal immigrants, it would be closed down.
    Davidbkk, if you are right, then I am wrong. Thai police might be worse that I think. I know that Thai police can be horribly rude with Burmese living in Thailand. Perhaps you heard about Cynthia Maug's clinic in Mae Sot. Cynthia Maung is a Burmese medical doctor who arrived in Mae Sot more than 15 years ago along with other refugees, and set up a clinic without really wanting to, just because she had to help her fellows. What was first a place set up in a situation of extreme emergency eventually became the Mae Tao clinic. It is a source of relief for Burmese refugees, but it is technically an "illegal" clinic, because the Thai ministry of Health has never approved it. Several times, the Thai police informed Doctor Cynthia that she would have to close, and that her staff, having no work permits, would be arrested and deported to Burma. This did not happen because Cynthia and her clinic get huge support outside.

Could Thai police be bad enough to close a school in Bangkok because some illegal Burmese study there? If they do, they are the worse assholes on Earth.

The country where I was born, Switzerland, has the reputation to be rather unfriendly to aliens. There are many illegal workers, from Latin America, Eastern Europe, or Africa. But the worse thing that can happen to a clandestine immigrant who committed no crime is to be placed in a plane to his country of origin - for free. Is he worked and was paid less than the legal wages, he can ask to a labour court to force his employer to pay for the difference, and be allowed to stay until the trial is over.

Thais just exaggerate. Thaksin's family's Shin Corp Corporation makes profit in Burma, employers take advantage of cheap Burmese labour force, and police menaces people who have done no harm to anybody.

I don't know what to say about Goodwill. Perhaps they have no other choice but obey to unjust rules, don't know.

Added after 12 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by diaw
    Diaw, I like your joke. Wouldn't it be nice if it were so easy? I could turn on "Imagine", by John Lennon.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It's not Goodwill's fault. You can thank the crony government for the way they treat all other Asians here. Yes it would be nice if these people could get the appropriate visa, but chances are they can't even afford that.

vCash
    Thanks

Could Thai police be bad enough to close a school in Bangkok because some illegal Burmese study there? If they do, they are the worse assholes on Earth.
    Yes they could and they most certainly are.

the worse thing that can happen to a clandestine immigrant who committed no crime is to be placed in a plane to his country of origin - for free.
    Bad enough if your country of origin is Burma.

Added after 1 minutes:

Hardly fair to get stuck into a charitable organisation for obeying local law - IMHO.
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ludwin
    Quote Originally Posted by davidbkk
    Ludwin, if the school accepted illegal immigrants, it would be closed down.
    Davidbkk, if you are right, then I am wrong. Thai police might be worse that I think.
    sorry you are wrong

I know that Thai police can be horribly rude with Burmese living in Thailand.
    being rude is the least of the immagrants worries - beatings, extortion, jail are more likely.

Could Thai police be bad enough to close a school in Bangkok because some illegal Burmese study there?
    Yes.

The country where I was born, Switzerland, ........ But the worse thing that can happen to a clandestine immigrant who committed no crime is to be placed in a plane to his country of origin - for free. Is he worked and was paid less than the legal wages, he can ask to a labour court to force his employer to pay for the difference, and be allowed to stay until the trial is over.
    I think this is where your misunderstanding comes from... Asia is NOT europe. need i say more!?

I don't know what to say about Goodwill. Perhaps they have no other choice but obey to unjust rules, don't know.
    fairly clear really.

Quote Originally Posted by diaw
    Diaw, I like your joke. Wouldn't it be nice if it were so easy? I could turn on "Imagine", by John Lennon.
    i agree with u here. -

vCash
    Thanks

diaw wrote:

I was thinking the same thing Ludwin, when I read your first post.

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I don't like them as I know a few people that 'worked' for them with promises of this that and the other....only to get nowt!

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Well, I think the people who are starting this school or whatever it is need to wait before they accept anyone. They need to build up their power base.

Personally, I think there are plenty of Thais who would like to learn. If there are limited spaces they should take Thais first. If they have no students then why not try to sneak in a few students of unknown origin. But in my book the poor Thais get in first.

Why not start The Underground School for the lost souls wandering around Bangkok. You could have illegal teachers volunteer to teach there.
    I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion. -Thoreau

vCash
    Thanks

Maybe you should lighten up on this place, unless they're embezzling or not teaching these less fortunate Thai Women
    This is the real prob with thai charities.

My TGF went to 'tam bun' at a charity for the blind....the admin had a fleet of new BMW's and had run out of braile (sp) supplys and shit.

Sickening self important a-holes.
    "Ka warea te ware. Ka area te Rangatira."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast