-->
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: When need comes a knockin'

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

When need comes a knockin'

What a weekend it was!!

It all started on Friday morning at my workplace. I finished my 10:00am class, and in the teacher's room my colleague tells me that "some crazy guy was just here." I ask for more info.

Seems an American sounding black dude had come in the institute (wearing his pajamas) talking all sorts of nonsense (and maybe lapsing into another unrecognizable language) towards the clueless secretary.

When my co-worker approached the confused guy and asked what he could do, he said some more nonsensical things and my friend showed him to the door. (!)

I finished up my work and headed out to look for him. I found him 20 minutes later...circling the building. I asked him if he needed some help. He rambled on incoherently. I directed him to a nearby nuerolgical psychiatrist's office.

Once at the doc's desk...the doc seemed so surprised fascinated even that this guy had no memory. Couldn't say who he was or where he was from. (By the way he was clearly not drunk.) The doctor suggested that I take him to a nearby hospital (since he is a clinician and this guy need ER type of help.)

On the way there, I spotted his bags on the side of the street (of which the guy had mentioned a few times.) He wanted to leave them behind...but I lugged them to the hospital and when he was with the doctors i learned some things about him.

ATLANTA-native, in-country 6 days, 23 years old, pictures of a loving family, support letters, started a fictional story on the plane (coherent enough) and schizo-type of writing in his journal, started on arrival.(?)

It's such a long, and sorted three days, but to sum up. Jamaal is staying at my place now. He's clear, then gone....mostly gone, but he's eating well.

The embassy has been in close contact but very little help, the 5 hospitals we've been to have been no help. The pastor whose English speaking church's service we attended (with a sermon on "givers and takers" no less) gave me a nice smile and pat on the back The police want nothing to do and have no offers unless he commits a crime.

He's almost been hit by two buses, has given me the slip once, (miraculaously a korean called me and directed me to where he was,..my number is in Jamaa's email box).

He shows alot of signs of schizophrenia, but could just as easily have a brain tumor (??).

His father is waiting (in Atlanta) on his emergency passport to clear and then he's coming to get him.

I have a feeling he'll be staying with me for the next 3-4 days until his dad shows, but we have an appt. at the embassy in 4 hours to apply for his new passport (his last one is long gone).

I haven't slept properly in 3 days, but his family keeps me energized with their worry and concern.

(at one point the embassy first tried to get me to make him commit a crime so he'd get locked up!!..and then tried to convince me to let him go.....as in abandon him on the street with his two oversized bags and a carry-on!! My reply to that?,.,..."lady...you want me to let him go, and then he gets run over by a bus, and then I am supposed to live with that!?",...stupid fukin cunt!

The one thing that really gets me about this whole thing is how many people think it is funny!? eslcafe turds,...strangers (foreigners) on the street (when I was looking for him)...even a few friends and acquaintances.

Maybe I'm thick, but I don't get the joke.

Ahhh,...I needed to get that out.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: When need comes a knockin'

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It's such a long, and sorted three days, but to sum up. Jamaal is staying at my place now. He's clear, then gone....mostly gone, but he's eating well.
    He wanted to leave them behind...but I lugged them to the hospital
    I finished up my work and headed out to look for him.
    the 5 hospitals we've been to have been no help.
    I haven't slept properly in 3 days, but his family keeps me energized with their worry and concern.
    You're a better man than I jimbo. I hope his father arrives soon.

A friend had a similar incident a few years back in Colorado. We waited for his father to arrive and when he did, he quickly bought two tickets for he and my buddy to fly back home. Once at the gate, my buddy told the desk a man was forcing him to fly and his father was arrested for trying to force an adult on a plane (pre 9-11 even). I hope this guy doesn't encounter the same problem.

Stay safe jim.

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You're a good man Charlie Brown. Hope it gets sorted out soon. Take care bro.

(Interesting how there's always enough money to house visiting politicians, bureaucrats and Olympic athletes, but not enough to take care of the mentally ill.)
    This space for rent.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Array redhaze's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Wow, this is a pretty crazy story. Does the guy remember who he is at all? Is he ever coherant?

Don't forget to latch your door at night.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It was in the packet of tea all along! Hi Jimbo...

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Maybe I'm thick, but I don't get the joke
    I knew there was a reason I liked you Those jokers are only masking their own self disgust

I rescued a Guy Steve from Alabama University , his Dad was some Admiral He was wandering the New Deli Summer in a plastic yellow raincoat a credit card and a pair of shorts trying to Do a Jim Morrison on chemist shops... Stupid fucker I had to tell the Emergency Doctors to treat him for Barbiturate withdrawals. His embassy got in on a flight out of their to London Immediately. And so I don't know what happened to Steve

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Good moves on your part Jimbo. Everything happens for a reason and there is a reason that he found you (and you found him). Keep us posted.

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

He could have had a psychotic break inducing his schizophrenic like symptoms but I'm betting he hit a red light bar and was dosed with something. A strong hallucinogen could have fried him into his present state.

Did his father say if he had any history of mental troubles back in the states?
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

British psychiatrist noted for his alternative approach to the treatment of schizophrenia. 1927-1989

Popularity:

“Insanity - a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.” R. D. Laing quote
    Similar Quotes.

Alienation as our present destiny is achieved only by outrageous violence perpetrated by human beings on human beings.
    R. D. Laing

Children do not give up their innate imagination, curiosity, dreaminess easily. You have to love them to get them to do that.
    R. D. Laing

Creative people who can't help but explore other mental territories are at greater risk, just as someone who climbs a mountain is more at risk than someone who just walks along a village lane.
    R. D. Laing

Freud was a hero. He descended to the Underworld and met there stark terrors. He carried with him his theory as a Medusa's head which turned these terrors to stone.
    R. D. Laing

If I don't know I don't know, I think I know. If I don't know I know I know, I think I don't know.
    R. D. Laing

Insanity - a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world.
    R. D. Laing

Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent.
    R. D. Laing

Madness need not be all breakdown. It may also be break-through. It is potential liberation and renewal as well as enslavement and existential death.
    R. D. Laing

Rule A: Don't. Rule A1: Rule A doesn't exist. Rule A2: Do not discuss the existence or non-existence of Rules A, A1 or A2.
    R. D. Laing

Schizophrenia cannot be understood without understanding despair.
    R. D. Laing

The experience and behavior that gets labeled schizophrenic is a special strategy that a person invents in order to live in an unlivable situation.
    R. D. Laing

The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.
    R. D. Laing

There is a great deal of pain in life and perhaps the only pain that can be avoided is the pain that comes from trying to avoid pain.
    R. D. Laing

There is no such condition as 'schizophrenia,' but the label is a social fact and the social fact a political event.
    R. D. Laing

True guilt is guilt at the obligation one owes to oneself to be oneself. False guilt is guilt felt at not being what other people feel one ought to be or assume that one is.
    R. D. Laing

We are all in a post-hypnotic trance induced in early infancy.
    R. D. Laing

We are all murderers and prostitutes - no matter to what culture, society, class, nation one belongs, no matter how normal, moral, or mature, one takes oneself to be.
    R. D. Laing

We are effectively destroying ourselves by violence masquerading as love.
    R. D. Laing

We live in a moment of history where change is so speeded up that we begin to see the present only when it is already disappearing.
    R. D. Laing

Whether life is worth living depends on whether there is love in life.
    R. D. Laing
    My Behaviour is a function of my experience .

My Personality is a composite of my behaviour patterns,of my

traits,adjustments and the roles that I play.

I act accordingly to the way I see things

:-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Train View Post
    I wouldn't even bother helping the guy. A sign of taking someone in like this is a sign that you need help bro.
    Fuck off! Asscrack!

I don't go looking for it, but if it falls in my lap I do something.

If you're so high and educated about these matters, you'd know that it could happen to any one of us at absolutely any time!

So,...there YOU are,..new in a foreign country and suddenly your memory, sense of reasoning and mere idea of where, when or who is shot to hell! ( I know for a fact he was ok before coming and shortly after arrival) You wouldn't hope that someone you crossed took some time out of his oh so precious schedule to help you out??? You're such a Prick. It's soooo fortunate you did get out of this field. You saved a lot of people (already suffering) further misery.

Train Wreck wrote:

This is one reason why I switched majors and got out of psychiatry/psychology studies altogether. I know a lot about the field, but I'm not about to extend my hand to help anyone with these illnesses.

What a fukin' twit

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I wouldn't even bother helping the guy. A sign of taking someone in like this is a sign that you need help bro.
    Is that what the voices are telling you?

but I'm not about to extend my hand to help anyone...
    Hmmm, learned a lot in the military I see.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

The embassy has pretty much taken over. Tho taking over means him staying in a cheap guesthouse a busy 10 min walk away. The owners are real nice and the chief resident said he'd keep an eye on him (more than I could offer, having to work and all). I'll visit him daily (during my afternoons off) until his Dad arrives.

No indication of odd behavior before he set off for Korea(?) Seems as if the new surroundings hit something that was brewing beneath the surface (??). He's a nice, gentle kinda' guy in his 'moments of clarity.' When he's "off" he's still pretty easy, just confused as anything.

vCash
    Thanks

A sign of taking someone in like this is a sign that you need help bro.

“The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks.” ~ Lord Acton

vCash
    Thanks

Agreed redhaze.

Piece Train - your attitude is atrocious.

Jimbo - you'll have to settle for a virtual green (you must spread....). Keep up the good work Jimbo, the world needs more people like you.
    Last edited by Hamster; 16th June 2008 at 17:56.
    ...you get what you need.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

"A sign of taking someone in like this is a sign that you need help bro."

And please refrain from referring to me as 'bro,' in the future. Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast