Thread: Three places to get stuffed for cheap

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Three places to get stuffed for cheap

No-Name Korean BBQ
    Two minutes walk from Phetchaburi MRTA station, if you live near the BTS you can just take a BTS car to Asoke and then the subway from Asoke to Phetchaburi station -- just one stop away. There are two BBQ restaurants to the east of the station, the first one is huge and has a glowing pink smiling pig neon sign. Very popular with the Thais, there's a large selection of rendered meats from sea animals and beef parts that no one in their right mind would eat available. The second one sits right next to the first one and is more run down, and it doesn't have the same selection in meats, but in my opinion has better sauces and a better atmosphere -- you feel more like you've "found" something. At both places you pay a per-person fee (either 98 or 89 B, the first one is 98, the second is 89), get a little dome shaped grill that has a small moat running around it (which catches the drippings from your BBQ to make soup, and which is used to boil fish, or fishballs, or vegetables) and all the meat you can eat. It's done buffet style, there's one central table with sliced raw, marinated meats available -- you pick up a plate, load it, take it to your tabel and cook and eat it, dipping the meats in sauces that are available at the table. Try each sauce, but my favorite at the cheap place is the Issan style dark red one -- at the the more expensive place I like the orange one and add a lot of raw garlic to it.

Some-Name-I-Can't-Read Arabic Wrap Shop
    Run by an Iraqi (good restaurant for all the America haters out there), this place is about 100m up Sukhumvit Soi 3, right on Soi 3, at the corner of a small sub soi that leads deeper in the Arabic/African portion of Sukhumvit. This particular shop is most recognizeable by the Iraqi man's eldest daughter, who is about 17 and wears a lot of pink. Often his head-scarffed wife will be sawing meat off the spits outside too, and it's almost direcly opposite Al Hussein restaurant. They sell beef and chicken wraps for 50B a piece, all the hot sauce (delicious!) or ketchup you want, plus a free glass of water, to go or sit at one of the little black tables near by. Two wraps will stuff you. Be sure to savor the bread used to make the wrap itself -- a true high quality sandwich (of sorts). Take the BTS to Nana and walk to Soi 3.

Bourbon St. Restaurant Tuesday Mexican Buffet
    A bit harder to find than it should be, take the BTS to Phrom Prong, get out on the Emporium side of the street, and then walk back up Sukhumvit the way that you came. On your left you'll see a big park dedicated to the queen, then some tailors, and finally MAMBO cabaret. Walk toward Mambo, off to the left, then behind it -- as though Mambo were the center of a traffic island in a roundabout.l Bourbon St. is behind Mambo, basically. 250B for a buffet of some of the best Mexican in Bangkok (only Woodstock in Nana plaza has food of the same calibur), plus a water and the service charge usually runs about 330 a person. You can sit in the non-smoking dining area or the bar. Plenty of jalapenos, salsa is made on-site and delicious, enchiladas are quite nice and the chicken taco filling is well worth a shot. Refried beans are good, the spanish rice is a bit sweet. The owner is frequently on-site and affable. They also have excellent creole cuizine (the owner is a native of Louisiana), but other than their recent birtday party, it doesn't usually become available on a buffet basis (I reccomend the gumbo and the ribs).

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Great post look forward to trying these places...

Very useful post....

vCash
    Thanks

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Tonight I'd be patronising one of these joints.. :chug:
    Went to the north of England last week, I was up near Cambridge