-->
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Thai School Watch

vCash
    Thanks

Well, TSW IS kind of an unofficial place to do this. It's Watchman's gig but it gets the nod from Ajarn by being linked as a permenant sticky, or until he gets better established.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    it gets the nod from Ajarn by being linked as a permenant sticky, or until he gets better established.
    As many people looking for teaching work in LOS will first open the Ajarn homepage and then click on the 'Latest Jobs' link, wouldn't it be sensible to have a link to Thai School Watch on both those pages, instead of it being hidden away as a sticky somewhere in the maze of the forum?

vCash
    Thanks

It's not a part of Ajarn Tel, it's an external link....still ask Phil if you must, not my department

vCash
    Thanks

Well, not really my problem
    I wash my hands of this issue
    not my department

vCash
    Thanks

hidden away as a sticky
    Is it me or does anyone find this sentence fragment hillarious.

Let me get this straight. You don't think that linking a third-party site at the top of the main forum used for the discussion of jobs is prominent?

It is entirely up to Phil what content he chooses to disply on the part of Ajarn he has control over and it's up to me what content we display on the forum.

LDMA wrote:
    Well, not really my problem

LDMA wrote:
    I wash my hands of this issue

LDMA wrote:
    not my department
    That's what I said....

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Well, it would be nice to have a link on the Ajarn jobs page, however I quite happy with all the help and support admin has given me so far in getting TSW up and running.

I think it is up to others to help promote the forum too. If you know anyone from outside Ajarn who needs help or has been burned make sure you pass on the URL. While I sort my credit card out I have arranged a temporary URL to make TSW easier to find. That proper dotcom is coming soon.

http://thaischoolwatch.alturl.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The good, the bad, and the ugly in the LOS

vCash
    Thanks

hidden away as a sticky
    Is it me or does anyone find this sentence fragment hillarious.

Let me get this straight. You don't think that linking a third-party site at the top of the main forum used for the discussion of jobs is prominent?
    No, I don't! Who really pays attention to the stickys? I bet most members' attention goes straight to the threads.

Now let me repeat for the hard of hearing "As many people looking for teaching work in LOS will first open the Ajarn homepage and then click on the 'Latest Jobs' link, wouldn't it be sensible to have a link to Thai School Watch on both those pages?

Now tell me, do you think that is a reasonable question to ask? If not, let me know why and I'll withdraw it.

As you've said on many occasions 'It's up to Phil', yes we all know that.

But he's been strangely silent on the matter and you've been sidestepping it.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I bet Phil and Louis now know how Thaksin feels when reporters ask questions like just how it is that his son's businesses are so successful... ....and why he comes up with such lame answers.....

I empathize with the business dilemma, but on this site I'm clearly on the teacher's side. If the management here compromise the site integrity on issues like this *too* much then it will (should) hurt their business on the TEACHER'S side, rather than on the advertiser's side- a more subtle failure, but I think more deadly in the long run.

Why not have a little button/banner box to go to the watch site from the jobs page? Heck, you could even arrange for them to be a sponsor too with a little creative accounting!!

"Steven"

Added after 1 minutes:

Oi Vey! I'm supporting El Tel! What's the world come to?
    "Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."

Heard in a U.S. Public School

vCash
    Thanks

Why not have a little button/banner box to go to the watch site from the jobs page? Heck, you could even arrange for them to be a sponsor too with a little creative accounting!!
    What a paradox that would be. I think that the forum and the jobs page each have their place.

If you were to put "the Watch" link on the "Jobs" page it would likely lose it's objectivity by being abused. Think about it. Any savvy school admin. would simply start creating ID's and posting in the Black sections about competitors and the White section about itself. Let's contribute to this site "the Watch" and if there are interesting comments on it maybe link them to posts here in Ajarn (if Louis agrees)
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Well, I've given the site a couple of good plugs on the jobs page (which gets the most traffic)

By and large the site is doing OK, but I can't stand to see threads where some teacher bashes a school and makes constant references to homosexual teachers.
    To me that says more about the poster than any cr@p he spews out in the story.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

Well, it's what the kids want...maybe it will serve as an example of why we moderate Ajarn as we do. I also saw that post and thought it was pretty bad.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

As somebody said in reply there, if the worst thing you can say about a school is that the director or administrator likes women, or likes men, it must be a school that's difficult to criticize.
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Just a quick update.

The new URL for TSW is now http://www.thaischoolwatch.com

Yes we have a dotcom! I'm very pleased with the way things are going, some very frank discussion going on, and membership is blossoming.

I note the concerns Phil made re: the post regarding the sexual orientation of a certain school manager and have addressed them but have chosen not to delete the comments for now. I think it is up to individuals to decide whether posters sound trustworthy or not, but like I said on there I think that the manner in which comments are made should also give an indication of the poster as well as what he/she is saying. Nobody ever said this board would always make comfortable reading.

OJ
    Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

"Libel" involves the publishing of a falsehood that harms someone.

At first, I thought the whole idea of a website dedictaed to naming "Bad" schools, and "Good" schools was an excellent idea. After reading one of the threads, I found this website to be nothing but a bunch of bullsh** I am actually surprised that ajarn.com would allow such a link to a place that promotes defmation of people and not the schools themselves.

There had been another thread on this website naming an individual who owed another money. Damn, the mans name was even posted on the site! As far as I'm concerened, this is nothing but a way for people to write anything they wish about anyone...real or make believe, as evidenced by a poster who posted the same crap about a company on this forum a year ago and as he stated, it was taken off, but not for the reasons the poster stated.

Watchman, you had a good idea, but your site is nothing short of defamation of individuals, and sadly you allow this on your site. Though your website states you may not agree with what the posters state and it does not reflect you, the reality is, it does. You're no more than a monger of libel and defamation.

Again, libel means to defame or harm one’s reputation is writing. Your site could eventually do that to individuals here, even if everything is nothing but sh**

Good luck, pal...you'll need it.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Maybe you're right, OJ (you're not that famous murderer OJ, are you?). When I get too sober on my high horse of superior morality, I accuse people of things I've been guilty of myself.

But ThaiSchoolWatch is one way, short of forming a teacher's union, of levelling the playing field. Do you doubt for one nanosecond that the Thai schools don't operate a slanderous and libelous network of defamation against farang teachers, even if the accusations are false? The sexpats and the so-called KSR backpackers have slimed the entire farang teaching population with mud, whilst the respected education industry of Thailand keeps receiving undeserved wais and billions of baht.

What I can see already, forming on the posts there, is a pattern: disrespect of farang, scandalous falure to communicate by professionals in education and language, and a degree of money-grabbing that's a sin in any religion. Sure, anybody reading the posts should realize there's another side of the story, but at least we get to here the farang's side.

If I were a priest or a Mother Superior, I'd be condemning the whole lot. But somehow, it seems more or less fair to let the farang have a voice, for once.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast