-->
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Thai School Watch

vCash
    Thanks

Goodness, does anyone hear a familiar argument here? Isn't that exactly what I've been trying to explain to El Tel et al when I'm being accused of being a money grubbing sell-out capitalist whore.

It looks like Watchman's project is demonstrating the problems that this kind of forum might face. The problem is that how can this kind of forum be moderated...the whoile idea is name and shame. If they want to avoid defaming people or places then whats the point in having it.

Like you said it sounded like an excellent idea, but there sure are problems inherent with allowing naming and shaming on public forums. That's why we don't do it.

It seems it's extremely popular though...I mean how longs he had it going? 2 weeks and he's got nearly 80 members. Should we be promoting it? Only in as much as I am fed up with people calling me names for not allowing such behaviour on here. I maintain, that we are not responsible for the content in outside links, and if people want to engage in this kind of behaviour then I'm happy to point them to somewhere that will let them.

I personally think it will need some serious moderating soon, but how he'll manage it I do not know.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

After reading some of the comments on that forum, some of which I KNOW are untrue, all I can wish him is good luck. He will need it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I have also become increasingly concerned with that topic to the extent that I have now removed the posts made by the individual who made reference to an individuals alledged private life. This is certainly not the direction I want the forum to go in and could I send my apologies to the individual concerned. I am about to change the rules a little about what cannot be posted and I will be including the following which will be posted as a global announcement.

References to individuals personal life including allegations regarding their sexual preferences, alcohol/substance intake will not be allowed.

Allegations relating to the behaviour of private individuals, eg that money owing farrang post which has now been deleted.

Use of bad language in reference to school staff eg "that f.ucking b.itch...."

It's a sad reflection of our teaching community that people cannot act with a modicum of self-respect, and that I've got to do an Ajarn on them and start moderating.

I'm going to keep it going, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep more of a careful Watch than usual now membership is growing.

Thankyou for your comments and concern, I am listening.

Watchman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The good, the bad, and the ugly in the LOS

vCash
    Thanks

If you were to put "the Watch" link on the "Jobs" page it would likely lose it's objectivity by being abused. Think about it. Any savvy school admin. would simply start creating ID's and posting in the Black sections about competitors and the White section about itself
    It's a good point. There are Thai schools who already do this kind of thing, and this would just provide another avenue for their pettiness.

I note the concerns Phil made re: the post regarding the sexual orientation of a certain school manager and have addressed them but have chosen not to delete the comments for now.
    I'm not sure why, Watchman, I would have thought that was a no-brainer. I think you should delete the comments, or reassess the objective of your forum. What on Earth does someone's sexuality have to do with a school's competence or the way it treats its teachers?

The claims may or may not be true, but by including them you're giving credence to the view that simply attacking someone's sexuality is a valid criticism in itself.

Added after 6 minutes:

I have also become increasingly concerned with that topic to the extent that I have now removed the posts made by the individual who made reference to an individuals alledged private life. This is certainly not the direction I want the forum to go in and could I send my apologies to the individual concerned.
    Watchman, just read your post, which wasn't there when I was writing mine.

Good job. :chug:

OJ
    Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Good work Mr. Watchman. You've gained much respect again. The stuff there about individuals was not good form or taste. Keep it to the schools only and you'll be alright'

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm watching the development of Thai School Watch with great interest. You're already starting to get a 'nutcase' element on there, and it can only get worse as jilted teachers find new ways to dig the knife into their ex-employer.
    Any new teacher would be wise to not take a blind bit of notice of any of it.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

unfortunately,

watchman's well-intentioned act of setting up this site is doomed to failure.

he will find himself surrounded by nutjobs, litigious schools and near-psychopathic individuals with insane, often personal, grudges with schools.

the creation of this site is a little naive, it can only lead to trouble.

why not let people learn from their own experiences and then disseminate this information informally through networks of friends and colleagues? a much safer, surer method than screaming it from the rooftops attracting all sorts of liars and weirdos.

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

There's a real wisdom to you these days Unwell. I agree 100%.
    I think Watchman should continue with the site but it needs to be VERY carefully monitored. I've already had a couple of emails from schools actually naming the individual who probably posted about them on the site.

This isn't good. The site has nothing to do with ajarn.com, but I'm getting dragged into it. I don't want that. I don't want that at all.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    There's a real wisdom to you these days Unwell. I agree 100%.
    thanks, guess i've done a lot of growing up in my relatively short time here in thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    The site has nothing to do with ajarn.com, but I'm getting dragged into it. I don't want that. I don't want that at all.
    that's fairly inevitable isn't it, when your site 'advertises' theirs.

vCash
    Thanks

Well, maybe the site has has enough free advertising now, and should just be allowed to fend for itself.

Added after 8 minutes:

Sticky removed. I hope that all concerned now realise why we banned this practice from Ajarn in the first place and will not continue questioning our motives for continuing this policy in the future.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

first place and will not continue our motives for continuing this policy in the future.
    Huh? Are you trying to say question? Sounds pretty omnificent to me.
    I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

vCash
    Thanks

I'm going to keep it going, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep more of a careful Watch than usual now membership is growing.

Thankyou for your comments and concern, I am listening.
    Could you lighten up the background? Or maybe make the font a better contrasting color. I find myself selecting the posts to give the words better contrast.
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sanooktiger
    first place and will not continue our motives for continuing this policy in the future.
    Huh? Are you trying to say question? Sounds pretty omnificent to me.
    Sorry, that's what I meant. Ihave edited the quote now to say
    and will not continue to question our motives for continuing this policy in the future.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes, but our NAMING ONLY thread over on Thaivisa is still doing fine!

"Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."

Heard in a U.S. Public School

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Naming is one thing. Names (good, bad, or indifferent) can be given and people can PM for information. A slagging thread, no matter how well moderated, will always be a slagging thread. And that can easily get out of control.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast