-->
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Thai School Watch

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Watchman,
    A very sad day indeed. Forums or websites like Thai school watch are extremely high risk. We live in a country where losing face is the ultimate no-no, and TSW was making a few school owners and Thai admin staff lose face alright. I think you were very brave to set the forum up in the first place, but when you are starting to get sleepless nights and threats of legal action, it's time to pack it in. I think you now understand why Loiuis and I don't allow these threads on the ajarn forum. You don't owe it to yourself and you certainly don't owe it to Thailand's TEFL teachers. Let teachers find these things out for themselves. I've done my apprenticeship. I've worked for crap schools for late pay and tolerated all the barmy admin decisions. It's not fun at the time but by and large you come out of it unscathed. I've certainly come out of it older and wiser.

There were some genuine and interesting posts on that TSW and I think if any good has come out of it, it's perhaps shaken the schools up a bit and let them know that teachers do sometimes have a voice.
    A few of you might criticize Watchman for 'chickening out'. My advice would be to go and set up your own forum. But first ask yourself if you can handle it when the legal eagles come knocking at your door.

Take care Watchman. At least you got your five minutes of fame.
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

Well done fella... you had the testicular fortitude...

Jon
    vCash
    Thanks

Anything that shakes them up from time to time is good.
    Sur votre bicyclette, mate.

back seat modding Array discus2000's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^agree... and it seems you certainly did, watchman... well done

what's the next project then... a Thailand Teacher's Union

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Bloody Hell! It can't be that difficult!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Let me back up what Phil said.

Thai School Watch was born from my perceived stubborness that it was not in the interests of this forum to carry name and shame threads. Watchman took up the challenge to give what everyone was clamouring for - a place where they could slag off schools to their hearts' desire. I was happy to give the site all the publicity it wanted on here, as was Phil on the central Ajarn.com site.

As a result it did rather well, getting some 250 members in the short space of 2 months. As an admin of a small forum (the Songkhla one) I know well that that seriously isn't any small feat.

I think though that while it doesn't seem that any real harm was done, save a few schools losing face, that an agressive forum like this is never going to work, especialy if the admin lives in Thailand. Let's hope that the notable schools that came in for the most flack have taken note of the complaints levelled agaist them and might do something about some of the shoddy practises we heard about, if indeed they were true. If nothing else it shook up a few DOS's, at the time, though they're now going to think they won, and maybe not much will change. TIT!

The policy on Ajarn remains the same. Schools and managers should not be named publicly, although we want to hear your stories, and if you really want to tell the full story you can offer the works via PM. We hope that the sad story of TSW highlights a little the reasons that I have maintained this policy over the past 6 months, and that regulars will cease giving me a hard time over it.

I give Watchman absolute respect for what he tried (and to some extent suceeded in) doing for a time. He remains a loyal poster on Ajarn, and throughout the era of TSW never lowered himself to slagging us for points about our policies here.

Chalk it up son! Good bit of arse kicking while it lasted! I'm sure we remember the main culprits!

LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Non Sibi Sed Omnibus Array Umbuku's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Agreed, a valiant effort Watchman.
    Anything that can crack the fake smile of nepotism is worth doing. And it was done well. If I wasn't busy enough with work and family I would seriously consider taking up the gauntlet.
    By proxy, and not in Thailand.
    Faith, by itself, isn't a good enough reason to believe. Instead, a belief must be defensible through reason, logic, and evidence.
    The idea that faith is somehow justified by the fact that the beliefs cannot be proven is a truly Orwellian position to adopt - not to mention intellectually and ethically dangerous.

Distended Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sorry the bastards got you down.
    Thanks Watchman, whoever you are.

jb

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm sure we remember the main culprits!
    We certainly do!

Where's the bowling at? Array marko's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Damn shame that TSW had to go...
    If people don't see things my way then they are just plain stupid.

vCash
    Thanks

Yeah kind of like your avatar really Marko

vCash
    Thanks

Sorry to see you go Watchman. I tried to find time to read there was usually interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    Yeah kind of like your avatar really Marko
    Speaking of Avatars
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts."
    PFC J. Winger

vCash
    Thanks

Who me?

Marko's is technically sexier than mine though...it moves and stuff...plus mine has that ugly old git in the front....and it's got naked blokes in it....hardly in the same league is it?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil
    I'm sure we remember the main culprits!
    We certainly do!
    Poop! Am I on that list now?

vCash
    Thanks

Yours was in the White list wasn't it?

vCash
    Thanks

there goes 'thai school watch', no great suprise there then...

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"