-->
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Thai School Watch

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

What if the admin and site was outside of Thailand? Would it be immune from legal actions?

TSW was a great idea. Too bad some lamers got butt hurt that their schools got some bad publicity.
    It's like I'm speaking a foreign language or something...

. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Not immune, but rather more resistant, I'd say. A school crying libel would have to prove it was libel, and a disclaimer on the front page ought to protect anyone in a more rule-of-law oriented country. And it'd be easier to maintain a certain measure of anonymity when you're on the far side of the world.
    - Reg

vCash
    Thanks

I give Watchman absolute respect for what he tried (and to some extent suceeded in) doing for a time.
    Here, here! I for one you WM!
    "Ka warea te ware. Ka area te Rangatira."

stāj wən pro·gen·i·tor Array IsaanAlex's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

especialy if the admin lives in Thailand.
    The key point, IMHO.

When I'm out of here I'd be willing to do it; except I don't know jack about computers and websites. :sad:
    Healing circle around 8' ish?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

For those who want to give helpful hints, there's still my "Schools I Would Not Recommend To A Friend" thread over on Thaivisa:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31430

Just the names, no details and no arguments, and if you want more info you can pm the poster. The sky ain't falling over there, neither.

"Steven"

Added after 1 minutes:

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Young
    Not immune, but rather more resistant, I'd say. A school crying libel would have to prove it was libel, and a disclaimer on the front page ought to protect anyone in a more rule-of-law oriented country. And it'd be easier to maintain a certain measure of anonymity when you're on the far side of the world.
    - Reg
    And if it became TOO effective in punishing the schools which deserved it, no doubt the actual response would be to put the school on all the censoring filters for Thai Internet servers.

"Steven"
    "Teachers, we are having some technical problems with our PA system. If you are having any difficulty hearing this announcement, please send a student to the main office to let us know."

Heard in a U.S. Public School

vCash
    Thanks

And if it became TOO effective in punishing the schools which deserved it, no doubt the actual response would be to put the school on all the censoring filters for Thai Internet servers.
    I'm suprised this hasn't happened to several sites yet. Guess it's the plus of living in a disorganised dictatorship.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

If we all contributed there'd be no one person to threaten. What could they do, kill us all?

vCash
    Thanks

It's the admins that shoulder the blame eventually, maybe Watchman's character was too prominent.

If anyone starts something like this in the future they should be very careful to be outside of Thailand.

Also perhaps a transcript of Thai libel codes should be posted first and foremost.

If anyone wants to take up Watchman's mantle, we will of course give you a link here on Ajarn Forum.....just be careful.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    Also perhaps a transcript of Thai libel codes should be posted first and foremost.
    "Libel" (or the acccusation thereof) in Thailand is, first and foremost, a criminal offense. Proceed with caution from that starting point

As for the Internet - recent decisions in Australia and the UK have now shown cross-jurisidictional basis for libel: for example, if I live in the US and post in the US, but libel someone in the UK, I cannot rely on a defence that my actions where not libelious (sp?) in the US, and therefore I am not guilt of libel - as the courts would use the test for libel in the UK.

Previous to this, it had always been assumed that the test for libel would be the country in which the website was hosted, but that is no longer the case [and if anyone knows the website SCT, they'll no doubt know about this].

All in all then, you had better be sure of what you are talking about, or proceed with caution. Unfortunately, the Internet has had an effect where people seem to think they can say whatever they want and get away with it.

As for Watchman's site, I couldn't read it with all that black background. But I did wonder why he would want to put his neck out for a bunch of TEFL teachers with a proven track record of not being particularly grateful when others try and make life easier for them - I mean, it was hardly likely to get the type of advertizing Louise and Phil have put together for this place! After all, Text & Talk will pretty much advertise anywhere - and even they seemed to have given this one a miss

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

TSW will return...

Dear Ajarn and TSW Posters

I am pleased to announce that I have been in touch with a TSW poster who has asked if he could continue the TSW project.

I have agreed to give this person the domain for free and they will re-open for posting again shortly. All previous content has now been irreversably destroyed.

All legal notices I received have been complied with, and any other threads that were consdered problematic are now gone

I will have no control over this new forum whatsoever and no keys to it's admin or moderating controls. That's the way I want it.

All management queries should be directed via PM to the new adminsitrator as and when it makes it's presence known.

I wish the new TSW, management the best of luck with the forum.
    Stay safe, and stay unknown.

I think I've passed on some valuable lessons from my adminship, and the new version should be a lot harder to budge.

This REALLY is when Watchman takes his final bow, and resumes his life as a common or garden poster.

Goodbye

The Watchman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The good, the bad, and the ugly in the LOS

Misuderstood sociopath Array bulldog's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

glad to hear that :chug:
    By 2005 every previous resident of Warsaw had listed their temporary address as Portswood, Southampton, leading to it's appointment as capital of Poland. It is currently the subject of a hostile takeover bid from the home counties, particularly
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

So I see TSW is now closed. I'd like to thank Watchman for putting up the site.

Although I came out in support of one school (could it be the same school that began to make threats?) I fully supported the idea of letting teachers list their good and bad experiences.

I notice on another thread people are talking about a new TSW site run from outside Thailand. I think this is a great idea. Although libel has been discussed, the honest reality is that a school from Thailand that is bad enough to create complaints from teachers is hardly likely to have the time, money, resources, or will to track down an overseas web master and bring an international lawsuit against him/her. It just wouldn't happen.

vCash
    Thanks

make up your mind already .
    "A man has got to know his limitations."

Harry Callahan

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Yes, I'm assuming the new, upcoming webmaster is overseas... that will be a bitter pill for the evil headmasters here to swallow.

Regarding the illegal personal proclivities of staff: surely this is a criminal matter and one which is outside the scope of warning teachers about the managerial style of a school? If anyone truly has REAL evidence and is willing to risk his own reputation by filing a complaint, then he should do so. Using a site designed to warn teachers of failings in schools to spread vague, unsubstantiated rumours about alleged outside criminal behavior of persons there is hopelessly muddying the waters. I would welcome a site which did not encourage such dangerous gossip.

Now, if someone were verifiably molesting students *AT* a school and the school did nothing about it, that might be something to talk about- but I don't think there are any schools that insane even in Thailand.

"Steven"

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/in...?mforum=tswmk2

The Thai School Watch web site is back open.

The temporary link is above.

The normal thaischoolwatch.com link will be re-enabled very soon.

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/in...?mforum=tswmk2

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast