Thread: Health insurance, what is the educated view present and future costs?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Health insurance, what is the educated view present and future costs?

I am 42. Dont smoke or drink. I exercise and eat healthy. I do have a bad back and recently prostate problems.

I have never thought of health insurance before. No idea of the cost or the coverage.

Basically I am thinking I would like to be fully covered and want it for the rest of my days if I am to stay in Thailand.

How much a month am I looking at? Both now and as I get older and can I expect to it to cover everything?

vCash
    Thanks

...google BUPA Thailand to get the info you need...
    ...majestically enthroned amid the vulgar herd...

Senior Member Array Bangkok Phil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

You can get info about health insurance here. We have a special ajarn teacher's package which is done through Thai Health and we've got Tony Dabbs, a health insurance expert to take care of things
    Help & Guides | Teaching English in Thailand

---------- Post added at 08:37 ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...google BUPA Thailand to get the info you need...
    I was with BUPA for about eight years here and never made a single claim so they decided to put my premium up by 50%. On the occassion I had to go to their office in the Pilot Building on Silom, it always struck me as a chaotic mess.
    I've been very very happy with Thai Health. It's actually run by a bunch of guys who used to work for BUPA so I'm guessing they felt they could do it better.
    Am I touting for business on behalf of the ajarn program? Yes. Do I think the ajarn / Thai Health program is better than what BUPA offers? From about 8 years experience with each one. Yes.

---------- Post added at 08:38 ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 ----------

Contact Tony Dabbs for a personal service insure@e-insurethailand.com
    The worst job in Thailand must be the man who has to sit down with a blue marker pen and mark a number two on the two-baht coins to stop people thinking they are one-baht coins.

vCash
    Thanks

...I have 7 years of experience with Bupa...I make annual visits to their very organized head office on Convent for policy renewals. I receive a 10% discount if I don't make any claims in my calendar year. To date, knock on wood, I haven't tested the policy. Also, guaranteed renewal for those over 60...

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

If you're working here, you might be eligible for Thai Social Security health insurance.
    750 baht a month while working.
    432 baht a month when not working either because of retirement or ineligible at your workplace.

No exclusions for pre-existing conditions, and you pay monthly instead of yearly.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLH View Post
    and you pay monthly instead of yearly
    ...you also pay in terms of time wasted in waiting rooms to actually see a doctor...and in overworked doctors unable to give your medical problem the consideration it needs or the explanations you need...

vCash
    Thanks

...you also pay in terms of time wasted in waiting rooms to actually see a doctor...and in overworked doctors unable to give your medical problem the consideration it needs or the explanations you need...
    Well....I normally go to Samithiwej Sri Nakarin, which using the hotel rating system is certainly a five-star hospital. However, when I recently had a collision with a motorcycle and my arm was hanging off, I just wanted the nearest hospital and that was Si Karin Hospital, which is 3-star at best. Probably two.

The service couldn't have been better. I was seen by a doctor within minutes. The X-ray was done in minutes. The staff were as polite and as helpful as could be. I was out of the hospital with my arm in a sling and a bagful of tablets within the half hour.

OK, my wife was with me and I confess the standard of English spoken among the medical staff (excluding the doctor) was not very high, but I don't think it's that high at the five-star jobs either. The nurses are just armed with a selection of stock phrases that they often mis-use.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Phil View Post
    I don't think it's that high at the five-star jobs either
    ...the Samitivej website lets you choose an English-speaking doctor (I go to the one on Sukh 49)...the doctor I regularly see graduated from NYU and did his residency at a NYC hospital...B800 the consultation...I rarely speak to nurses. However, in an emergency like yours, Phil, I might seek the nearest hospital, as you did, and hope for the best...at least until I was well enough to have things checked out at Samitivej...

vCash
    Thanks

the Samitivej website lets you choose an English-speaking doctor (I go to the one on Sukh 49)...the doctor I regularly see graduated from NYU and did his residency at a NYC hospital...B800 the consultation...I rarely speak to nurses. However, in an emergency like yours, Phil, I might seek the nearest hospital, as you did, and hope for the best...at least until I was well enough to have things checked out at Samitivej...
    Oh I'll certainly continue with Samithiwej in a non-emergency Tomcat. I guess one becomes a creature of habit where hospitals are concerned.

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

"...you also pay in terms of time wasted in waiting rooms to actually see a doctor...and in overworked doctors unable to give your medical problem the consideration it needs or the explanations you need..."

TC, are you one of those who think that if it's Thai, it can't be good? In my opinion, that's a common thing for many who don't know anything about Thai SS.
    There are a lot of private hospitals participating in this program. They give the same level of service to those not in the SS system, in my experience.
    I'll agree that some hospitals are better than others. The private ones not always being the best.
    If you're assigned a hospital you don't like/want, there are probably other choices you can make. The number of choices will depend on where you are. When I first came to KK I was given a list of 8-9 hospitals to choose from.

vCash
    Thanks

TC, are you one of those who think that if it's Thai, it can't be good
    ...no...

In my opinion, that's a common thing for many who don't know anything about Thai SS.
    ...I'm very familiar with the Thai Public Health System, as it turns out...

If you're assigned a hospital you don't like/want, there are probably other choices you can make
    ...certainly, if you have the time, energy, and inclination to shop around and make independent evaluations...

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

"...I'm very familiar with the Thai Public Health System, as it turns out..."

All three of them? They each have good and bad points and tend to serve different groups in the population.

"...certainly, if you have the time, energy, and inclination to shop around and make independent evaluations..."

We are talking about health care, aren't we? I believe many would think taking the time would be sort of important.
    Especially for those who are older or who may be needing more care.

I agree with the premise that government hospitals can eat up a lot of waiting time. So can many private hospitals.
    You can make a case for either private or government hospitals. I suppose it's a matter of what you need, and what you're willing to put up with.

There are ways to get the best of both worlds, but that's another story...

Terry