Thread: Bangkok - Track & Field Scene

vCash
    Thanks

Bangkok - Track & Field Scene

Are there any people involved in Track & Field in Bangkok or have some information on where it is happening?

Senior Member Array goo_stewart's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

There is a small T&F scene, but it comprises mostly of Thai professional athletes. They don't get much funding because the public interest and success just isn't there. They do all their training at the SAT on Ram. Not much on offer there for big noses to get involved in, unless you are a pro or trainer or something like that. Just as an amateur you are better off sticking to the hashes (if you run). Thai sport (like most nations around the world) channels monies toward success and public interest. The weight lifters and boxers get serious cash, T&F is a minor sport here, in all respects. The facilities at SAT are first rate though.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goo_stewart View Post
    There is a small T&F scene, but it comprises mostly of Thai professional athletes. They don't get much funding because the public interest and success just isn't there. They do all their training at the SAT on Ram. Not much on offer there for big noses to get involved in, unless you are a pro or trainer or something like that. Just as an amateur you are better off sticking to the hashes (if you run). Thai sport (like most nations around the world) channels monies toward success and public interest. The weight lifters and boxers get serious cash, T&F is a minor sport here, in all respects. The facilities at SAT are first rate though.
    Thanks for your reply! Yeah, funding is always a problem. And yes, I'm a track and field coach, looking for a new adventure
    So, I guess, with SAT you mean the Sports Authority of Thailand and the site is the Rajamangala Stadium near Ramkhamhaeng University. Is that the place?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm training with Vinnie at Ironguides for a track meetup Monday evenings. I don't have enough post counts to give you the URL but go to ironguides.net and follow links to their Bangkok department.

maybe I'll see you there,

Martin

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Pavion View Post
    I'm training with Vinnie at Ironguides for a track meetup Monday evenings. I don't have enough post counts to give you the URL but go to ironguides.net and follow links to their Bangkok department. maybe I'll see you there, Martin
    Thanks Martin,

for which event(s) are you training? And is it the Rajamangala Stadium where you are on Mondays? Are there regular meets?