-->

Thread: Protect your skin in Thailand (and anywhere)

the
    Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Protect your skin in Thailand (and anywhere)

Most of this list is concentrated on.....that nasty thing....the sun.

One unpublished study by Unilever showed that using just SPF 5 every day for five years prevented significant sun damage. Do yourself and your skin a favor and use a moisturizer with at least SPF 15. You’re moisturizing anyway, right? Most people do not apply enough sunscreen, so using an SPF of 15 should give you at least an SPF of 5. 3. Getting too much sun. 10 to 15 minutes of unprotected sun a few times a week can help your body get its vitamin D fix, but if you’re sitting outside at Starbucks for an hour a day without sunscreen, your skin will remind you years from now.
    4. Using the wrong cleanser. If dryness is an issue, a foaming cleanser will only make matters worse. Two of the best cleansers for dry skin are Estée Lauder Soft Clean Tender Crème Cleanser and CeraVe hydrating cleanser. Oily types beware! A cleanser that’s too rich can send oily skins’ sebaceous glands into overdrive. The best cleanser for oily skin is a foaming cleanser such as Vichy Normaderm Deep Cleansing Gel. Combination skin types will like Paula’s Choice Hydralight One Step Facial Cleanser. If you do not know whether your skin is oily or dry, take the free quiz at www.SkinTypeSolutions.com. (Lists of cleansers that are best for each skin type can also be found in my bestselling book, The Skin Type Solution.)
    5. Not using a retinoid. I am often asked “What is the best night cream to prevent aging?” In my opinion, the family of vitamin A creams known as retinoids are the best night creams and I believe that everyone over the age of 20 should be using a retinoid at night. This may help prevent aging and will smooth wrinkles you already have along with preventing acne and exfoliating the skin.
    6. Over-exfoliating. How do you know how much to exfoliate? The answer is… It depends on your Baumann Skin Type. If your skin is dry, too much exfoliation strips lipids from the skin, and sensitive types can experience even more inflammation. Exfoliation is best for oily, resistant types.
    7. Using daytime moisturizer if you have oily skin. If you’re on the oily side, skip the moisturizer and go straight to the sunscreen. Sunscreens have hydrating ingredients and very oily types make their own fatty acids, so they don’t need a moisturizer. (If you have dry spots, apply moisturizer only to those areas.) Everyone’s skin feels tight after cleansing, since it takes about 30 minutes for oil glands to replenish the skin—so see how your skin feels after 45 minutes and then you’ll know if you need moisturizer. Even better, take the quiz at SkinTypeSolutions.com to determine if your skin is oily.
    8. Paying too much for skincare. Are expensive skincare products better? You don’t always get what you pay for. Check out this article to learn when to save and when to splurge on skin care products.
    9. Not knowing your skin type. If you don’t know your Baumann Skin Type, you’re probably using the wrong products. Using the right ingredients can make a significant difference in the appearance of your skin.
    10. Not getting a full-body skin exam every year. Think of this as a birthday present for your birthday suit—especially if you’ve had two or more bad sunburns in your lifetime. Find a dermatologist at www.aad.org.

Link: The 10 Biggest Skin Mistakes You Can Make

I'd rather be lampshading Array jonny danger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

It's called basal cell melanoma and I have it. In fact I had surgery last week. All those years living in the Baja California, too cool to protect myself. Shoulda Woulda Coulda

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

basal cell melanoma
    actually it's carcinoma, melanoma is a different (and much, much worse) thing. My old man is ravaged by BCC (sun spots) it (he avearges about 2 operations a year for the past 15 years. Spent significant time in PNG dressed like a native. I've managed to dodge the bullet but it's also down to awareness when I was a kid.
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So, basically, use sunscreen, right?

Dancing to the tune Array Mister T's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Basal-cell carcinoma, then a Squamous cell carcinoma, then a melanoma. All will kill you eventually if left untreated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you can't say something nice about someone, shut the f*k up
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Yes, carcinoma. Melanoma is a local metal band. I get those two confused.

the
    Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    So, basically, use sunscreen, right?
    SPF 50 in South East Asia, IMO.

And also wear a wide-brimmed hat.

I've been driving a motorbike for years in South East Asia. I put sunblock on my forearms but not the tops of my hands, just because of not realizing it.

After about 1 1/2 years, I got the look of old, wrinkled hands on the tops, because of riding my motorbike.

As Danger has experienced, I know quite a few folks that go into the doctor to scrap cancer off of their faces and they are under 40.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

SPF 50 in South East Asia, IMO.
    anything over SPF30+ has negigible improvement in protection less than 5% I think.

vCash
    Thanks

I really can't find affordable sunscreen here. 200 ml for 400 baht is a bit much in my opinion. If applied daily I think I would spend nearly 2,000 a month on sunscreen.
    "While Jim is milking the Russian Boar, I'm in the shade of a Baobab tree being served a cool drink by a beautiful young indigenous girl. "
    Marlin Perkins

Aloha - Aloha HARD

vCash
    Thanks

long sleeves, long trou.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

wide brimmed hat.

vCash
    Thanks

Some of that beach boy white shit on your nose.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    I really can't find affordable sunscreen here. 200 ml for 400 baht is a bit much in my opinion. If applied daily I think I would spend nearly 2,000 a month on sunscreen.
    Do you work outside, at all times?

Sun protection only matter when you experience *direct* exposure to unfiltered sunlight - for example, simply sitting in your car, the sun filtered by the windows, is sufficient to protect you from the harmful UV variant of sunlights; ditto when inside, behind glass/windows; similarly, just being in the shade, even when outside, seriously cuts down on your your harmful UV exposure;

Wear a wide brimmed hat, use a sunbrella, or take lessons from Thai girls about staying out of the sun.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Bangkok smog is a pretty good filter. I don't think I ever got sunburned in Thailand the whole time I was there.