Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Police find car bomb in Times Square

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sodum View Post
    Little bastards are stuck on stupid, with these symbolic targets tho', aren't they?
    don't beat about the bush - give it to us straight

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Heck, most of the fatalities on our side are from friendly fire.
    Ain't that the sorry truth of it all - and America wonders why other countries are reluctant to committ their youth to such a risk?

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by sodum View Post
    Then again, he could be resentful that he never picked up English, and was stuck repeating in that sing-song lilt, 'can i help you my friend?' 'how much you normally pay? 'where u wanting to go? ' 'my brother do it cheap for you!', whether at the grocers or the dentist.
    You forgot the opening line "where do you come from?" and the close of "looking is free"

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by russellsimpson View Post
    What the Muslim "Street" has to learn, is that it would be to their great advantage to come on air quickly and condemn this kind of event. I don't see them doing that.
    This is it in a nutshell. Russ. Their very silence speaks volumes! They now have no recourse for being profiled as they have condemmed themselves

---Update---

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger View Post
    I'm arguing that nations should not go to war unless the citizens are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. They have to have a stake in it. You call a draft and you'll unleash a torrent of discontent.
    Wise words Panny. The Blitz really brought together the spirit of John Bull and the bulldoggedly minded British really united against Germany. It unified our country and people did all they could to do 'their bit'

America has yet to be challenged to such a degree but if the terrorist attacks on your country continue, I feel that Field Marshall Bill O'Reilly will unite the masses
    The error returned was:

Your posting permissions have been removed
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady View Post
    This is it in a nutshell. Russ. Their very silence speaks volumes! They now have no recourse for being profiled as they have condemmed themselves
    Bllimey - can you explain those rules to me rock?

I'm a bit concerned as I didn't come clean about being a catholic after the Birmingham pub bombings.

Should I have made a statement?

vCash
    Thanks

Naaaah. You're fine Cy cause I, too, went to a Roman Catholic School at the time (Bishop W...)and we were often moved out to the end of the sports field while the school was searched.

They said it was bomb threats but ... and apart from one 'old boy' who was gender in question, none of us became priests or were even Catholic (at least in my year). We were holy terrors who were sent there by our parents and not by personal choice

vCash
    Thanks

But on a more serious note, do you not feel that there must be millions of muslims who feel no more 'implicated' by actions like this than we did by the actions of the IRA?

Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    I'm a bit concerned as I didn't come clean about being a catholic after the Birmingham pub bombings.
    There are both extremist and moderate muslims in America. I don't think that the moderates are efficient or practiced in calling attention to themselves. They don't really do well at the public relations game.
    "If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

But on a more serious note, do you not feel that there must be millions of muslims who feel no more 'implicated' by actions like this than we did by the actions of the IRA?
    Its a good question. I can't imagine a faith dictating my life to me in the way a muslim appears to be dictated to by Islam. I have never believed in the Christian version of God and have always been dragged to any religious service and hated every moment of being apart of one. sunday Mass has to be the most boring event I have ever attended and I was forced to attend every sunday for 17 years.

I never identified myself with the IRA or Irish in anyway. I never chose to be christened or to go to Catholic schools and grew up telling jokes about 'thick Mick' taught to me by my father who was the Catholic force of our family. My favourite pub in Birmingham 'The Tavern in the Town' was blown up by the IRA and at least one of my xmas's as an adult was ruined by the IRA when I had to spend the festive season on security duties because of their mainland campaign.

Still ,CY, I'm sure you are right that a lot of Muslims really couldn't gve a tinkers cuss about what the rest of the world thinks of them as they don't for the rest of the world. They very probably don't even register that the events have occured.

I was thinking more in line with the muslim communities living in the US and UK who have done little to distance themselves from these actions net alone take actions to advertise their disgust in such violence being committed in the name of Mohammed

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny larue View Post
    I don't think that the moderates are efficient or practiced in calling attention to themselves. They don't really do well at the public relations game.
    Why do you think that is, johnny?

---Update---

Its a good question. I can't imagine a faith dictating my life to me in the way a muslim appears to be dictated to by Islam. I have never believed in the Christian version of God and have always been dragged to any religious service and hated every moment of being apart of one. sunday Mass has to be the most boring event I have ever attended and I was forced to attend every sunday for 17 years.
    It seems that by implication you are saying that devout catholics should have distanced themselves. I don't remember that happening.

In fact the war, given the misnomers of 'struggles' and 'troubles' was seen, quite rightly as being more than a mere faith based conflict.

Yet it seems freom the general tenor of this thread that these actions make muslims somehow under suspicion simply because they are muslim as far as you and other posters are concerned.

I'm interested in this seeming discrepency.

vCash
    Thanks

I can only guess. As immigrants, they are new to it. As immigrants, they are naturally defensive and quiet. They may also be unprepared to deal with the atmosphere of violence and hatred. It seems like some non muslims expect apologies. I don't. It seems like they associate the criticism of the terrorists with criticism of their religion. Secular politics is whole new ball game.

vCash
    Thanks

Perhaps they also don't get a fair shake from the media?

I mean, nobody seems to be going out of their way to find out, from where I'm watching.

The Watchman Array Farangrakthai's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

America has yet to be challenged to such a degree but if the terrorist attacks on your country continue, I feel that Field Marshall Bill O'Reilly will unite the masses
    fox news to the rescue?

unite the masses to do what?
    "Fear and Guilt are your only enemies. Love and Awareness are your true friends" -
    google_ad_section_end -->

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

But every Teliban has his Christian counterpart. Sure, they're tuff, so is Spooner Higgins of Tulsa Oklahoma who's been told since birth he was born to kill.

Technology wins wars. It's been a fact of life since the club replaced the stone. Our technology is so advanced we can't even use it, unless we want global Burger King franchises and Converse All Star factories to come to a screeching halt, and have those pesky peacenicks singing songs and carrying signs.

vCash
    Thanks

IMO, the media bends over backwards to be accommodating. The media loves to find "oppressed" and "victimized" groups to highlight. It's very difficult for the muslims to ingratiate themselves with common Americans. Every other group that comes here eventually integrates. Chinese, Vietnamese, Russians, Africans, Mexicans, Cubans, all become part of the American fabric. Muslims appear to most ordinary Americans to want to be separate.

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

the muslim silence thing always makes me chuckle...go out today and have a chat with some muslims, see what they think...might be enlightening.

if you're not too terrified that is...
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hales View Post
    the muslim silence thing always makes me chuckle...go out today and have a chat with some muslims, see what they think...might be enlightening.
    I doubt it

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

go on mate, give it a shot, what's to lose?

if you're right then your opinions will be confirmed.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast