Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 23% of American Fail Army entrance test: Passing score is, 30%

Senior Member Array Western Devil's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

23% of American Fail Army entrance test: Passing score is, 30%

To pass this test, you need....31 out of 99 answers to be correct.

One of the questions is: "if 2 + X = 4, what is the value of X?"

Fight for Freedom, and order some freedom fries....wait! You can't. Sorry.
    --
    Quarter of Army Applicants Don't Make the Cut
    Almost a quarter of recent high school graduates who attempted to join the army were barred because they didn't pass a basic entrance exam, an Education Trust report revealed this week. The study looked at 350,000 graduates between 2005 and 2009, finding that 23 percent of them didn't get the minimum scoreó31 out of 99óneeded to enroll. The exam, which has been in place since the First World War, tests students on basic reading, science, and math skills,

and includes questions like: "If 2 plus x equals 4, what is the value of x?" While military enrollment has been up this year, Army officials worry that a flawed education system might be cutting them off from future recruits.

The high percentage of failure is especially daunting given that "75 percent of those aged 17 to 24 don't even qualify to take the test because they are physically unfit, have a criminal record or didn't graduate high school," the Associated Press notes. This the first time the Army has made the data public, and the scores exposed wide discrepancies among minority applicants, with black and Hispanic applicants less likely to pass than white ones. "I am deeply troubled by the national security burden created by America's underperforming education system." Education Secretary Arne Duncan said of the report.

Link: The most important news and commentary to read right now. - The Slatest - Slate Magazine

vCash
    Thanks

Don't read too much into this. When I was in school most kids just Christmas treed the bubble sheet. If you failed the test the recruiters wouldn't bother you.
    "While Jim is milking the Russian Boar, I'm in the shade of a Baobab tree being served a cool drink by a beautiful young indigenous girl. "
    Marlin Perkins

Aloha - Aloha HARD

bet
    Awaiting mod approval... Array bet's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Never mind, there will always be the TEFL industry in Thailand, where 3 times X = a night at Eden, and a tenth of the average monthly salary 'blown'

God bless those shirt-tails
    Note for the dimensionally retarded: 6" = 150 mm
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

No big suprise... the vast majority of people joining the army are poor and uneducaed that see it as a way out of their horrible situation. Truth be told. 99 percent of people don't join the army because they love their country, it's because they love themselves.
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Skewed article - it tries to make it appears as though the data applies to the entire population, when it doesn't. The data only applies to those applying or wanting to join up, and that's a very particular demographic that isn't known for exceptional mental skills (frankly, why would you join any armed services, these days, if you were smart?). As Hollow points out - most of the grunts join up for the same reasons why bar girls choose their profession - a way out.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Skewed article - it tries to make it appears as though the data applies to the entire population, when it doesn't. The data only applies to those applying or wanting to join up, and that's a very particular demographic that isn't known for exceptional mental skills (frankly, why would you join any armed services, these days, if you were smart?). As Hollow points out - most of the grunts join up for the same reasons why bar girls choose their profession - a way out.
    I assumed that when I read the article.

Good point though, chthulhu and Hollow.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    You are wrong. Every American high school student has to take this test. My apologies, you are correct. The 350k sample size is only from students who subsequently applied to join the military.

What the article is saying is that students that subsequently want to join the armed forces are turned down because they have failed the test. They will have to take the test again and obtain the minimum percentage before they will be allowed to enlist.

Different branches require different minimum scores on the test. My understanding is that the Army will take the lowest scores of all the branches.
    Last edited by Don Ho; 23rd December 2010 at 06:31.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    You are wrong. Every American high school student has to take this test.
    Not so, as *not* every high school student has to take the test.

Every High School *graduate* WHO WANTS TO JOIN THE ARMY has to take the test.

You too fell for what the headline intended to convey, but was incorrect in implying.

No Virginia, 23% of high school students did NOT fail Army entrance test - Blog For Arizona

Just a teeny bit of research (Google is pretty cool) could have cleared that up.

You mean to tell me, one in four people who graduate high school can't score high enough on the Army entrance exam to get in?

Actually, no. But of those high school grads who take the Army entrance exam, 23% fail.

Big difference. Big, big difference.
    To get an idea of what that percentage says about our educational system, we need to know answers to questions like: What percentage of grads take the exam? What were their GPAs in high school? How does the number of failures compare to years past?

The article doesn't answer those questions, because the study it's based on doesn't either. According to the study, the people who took the Army entrance test

is a self-selected sample of individuals aged 17-20, with a high school diploma, and an interest in joining the Army.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    Different branches require different minimum scores on the test. My understanding is that the Army will take the lowest scores of all the branches.
    Sad, albeit not surprising, though it has little to do with the issue at hand.

The more accurate conclusion would be that many US high school graduates are unqualified as military recruits by the US Army's standards.

Of course, that doesn't sound as sensationalist as proclaiming "America, your kids are pathetic idiots!", does it?

vCash
    Thanks

^ Didn't see your response before my edit.

I still say the article is poorly written. A sample of 350k test results of graduates from 2005 to 2009, not 350k applicants ? 350k applicants? I tried looking for the original AP article but the link in the OP article doesn't work and I couldn't find it on the AP website. I have to go to work now but maybe I'll look again later.

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Here's the AP article:

The Associated Press: APNewsBreak: Nearly 1 in 4 fails military exam

Here's the study it's based on:

http://www.edtrust.org/sites/edtrust...es/ASVAB_4.pdf

("Today's High School education doesn't mean you're ready for today's Army")

vCash
    Thanks

Since all of you are highly educated and supremely educated ... why are you comparing yourselves to the enlisted ? Oh, I know why .... you got your degrees from colleges and universities that nobody has ever heard of and/or those schools who let all in who apply. You people are pathetic.

Your peer group is the officers ... who come from the Top 100 universities. They don't let people with weak tit degrees from Western Washington University be Officers.

Senior Member Array Getorfmoiland's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I think the fails should be the ones allowed into the infantry. At least they'll follow orders such as "form an orderly line and walk slowly towards those machine guns". Are they still called cannon fodder?
    "Always forgive your enemies -- Nothing annoys them so much !"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    Since all of you are highly educated and supremely educated ... why are you comparing yourselves to the enlisted ? Oh, I know why .... you got your degrees from colleges and universities that nobody has ever heard of and/or those schools who let all in who apply. You people are pathetic. Your peer group is the officers ... who come from the Top 100 universities. They don't let people with weak tit degrees from Western Washington University be Officers.
    We're talking high school grads, SK.

My Uni was/is very good, and I also started a Master's, and yes, I took the GRE and got the score I needed to start an MA program.

But this...is irrelevant.

We're talking about people who went to public high school graduate - `12 years of US public school - that cost more per students that almost every nation in the world.

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Why do you need to know algebra to point and shoot?
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Storekeeper View Post
    Since all of you are highly educated and supremely educated ... why are you comparing yourselves to the enlisted ? Oh, I know why .... you got your degrees from colleges and universities that nobody has ever heard of and/or those schools who let all in who apply. You people are pathetic.

Your peer group is the officers ... who come from the Top 100 universities. They don't let people with weak tit degrees from Western Washington University be Officers.
    Wow, who rained on *YOUR* parade?

Nobody in this thread talked in any way about comparing themselves to US high school graduates (that'd be the day, ha!) or considering them in any way to be a peer group. This is about discussing accuracy and veracity of an article. You need to get yourself checked out, and maybe do something about your slight hostility situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast