International House - Bangkok

Thread: Lesson Plans: Occupations (P1)

vCash
    Thanks

Lesson Plans: Occupations (P1)

Two lesson plans for teaching occupations to P1 students, plus the worksheet I used for the second one.

I spent a fair bit of time looking around the Internet and could NOT find a song about occupations that was easy enough for my kids to sing, so if anyone has any suggestions on that, please let me know.

A couple of notes:

To teach, "What do you want to be?" I drew two stickmen on the board. One was very small, and one was big. I wrote "you" under the first one and explained that this was to represent my students. You could also do it using the name of a particular student; it's just that I can't draw very well at all and I didn't want to turn some poor kid into a pathetic stickman. Then I asked them how old they were, and wrote that under "you". Then I asked who they were... doctor, teacher, etc., until I got "student", and wrote that under "7 years old". Then, under the adult stickman, I wrote "you" and "25 years old" and a question mark, pointed to the question mark, and asked, "What do you want to be?" I had them practice "I want to be a..." a few times and then started soliciting answers beginning with the smart kids. This seemed to work well; at least, I got lots of soldiers and doctors and policemen and no cleaners or nurses.

The second lesson plan, teaching the items used for each occupation, was mainly for further practice of the occupation names and so I didn't really focus much on the names of the actual items on the flashcards. I had 22, one for every kid in the class, and had them come up to stick them next to the right occupation. This was a good warmer that got everyone involved and focused on the lesson. You could combine it with the intro; elicit a sentence about the picture of the item ("He is a doctor") and then give it to whoever made the sentence to come up and stick. This is what I did, quickly and somewhat chaotically, as otherwise it just takes way too long and they get bored.

And no, it's not a very artistic worksheet... like I said, I have NO artistic skill and I get my worksheets from others when possible... but it worked.
    Attached Files

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Lesson Plans: Occupations (P1)

The British Council has an excellent site dedicated to Kids. There's a section on jobs here

Jobs - Topics - British Council - LearnEnglish Kids

For some of the activities you need access to ICT in the classroom and an IWB would help however there are printable materials if you don't have the resources.

Cheers

vCash
    Thanks

yeah, I used one of their stories in one lesson. No really easy songs though.

Cheers for the link anyway... I'd never actually looked at the "topics" part of their site and didn't know they had it all laid out together like that. That will be very useful in future.

vCash
    Thanks

no problem

Regular User Array tropic of cancer's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Can't find a song - make one up!

I'm a postman, my name's Pat, my names' Pat, my name's Pat
    I'm a postman my name's Pat - I bring parcels

I'm a builder my name's Bob (I make houses)
    I'm a policeman called Pete (I catch robbers)
    I'm a secretary named Jane (I type letters)

there you go - London Bridge

p.s. 'Once upon a time, before the internet, there was this thing called imagination...'

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You can buy the jobs on flash cards 50 baht in Lotus. Pick out the relevant ones and staple them to a future board and stick it in your classroom. I find kids learn things much more quickly when they see it in their clkass everyday

vCash
    Thanks

^^Can't sing either, so I need something that comes with music

They actually have pictures of the jobs up in most of the Thai classrooms, so I made my display based around the grammar point... "Who is he? What does he do?" etc. They generally are pretty good at vocabulary anyway, so I don't feel the need to reinforce that much... but they need a LOT of practice speaking in sentences.

Picture Taker. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

A simple PPP lesson for a possibly a year older.

8 or so occupation FCs around the room - nurse, teacher etc.
    Elicit, Model, drill.

2 teams, half the board each. You say 'policeman' they run, get it, and stick it on their team's side of the board for 1 point.

Elicit spelling.
    Drill again.
    Spelling H/O with FC pics.

Intro:

What does he/she do?
    He's a policeman. etc. on board.

Model, drill.

2nd H/O "What does he do?"
    Ss write "He's a policeman"

Roleplay in pairs when finished.

Quick game.

Then FCs in pairs "What does she do?" "She's a prostitute."

Sorry, Nurse!! "she's a nurse."

Game to finish and you're off home.

vCash
    Thanks

nice one Lizara, good luck.
    ลาน้องก่อน พี่จนถึงต้องจำจาก, ถึงแม้พี่จะหลงรัก ฐานะพาพราก ต้องจากจอมใจ
    ถ้าหากมั่งมี แล้วพี่จะคืนมาใหม่, ไม่ว่าจะอยู่แห่งไหน จะนานเท่าไร ยังไม่ลืมบาง...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizara View Post
    Two lesson plans for teaching occupations to P1 students, plus the worksheet I used for the second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizara View Post

I spent a fair bit of time looking around the Internet and could NOT find a song about occupations that was easy enough for my kids to sing, so if anyone has any suggestions on that, please let me know.

A couple of notes:

To teach, "What do you want to be?" I drew two stickmen on the board. One was very small, and one was big. I wrote "you" under the first one and explained that this was to represent my students. You could also do it using the name of a particular student; it's just that I can't draw very well at all and I didn't want to turn some poor kid into a pathetic stickman. Then I asked them how old they were, and wrote that under "you". Then I asked who they were... doctor, teacher, etc., until I got "student", and wrote that under "7 years old". Then, under the adult stickman, I wrote "you" and "25 years old" and a question mark, pointed to the question mark, and asked, "What do you want to be?" I had them practice "I want to be a..." a few times and then started soliciting answers beginning with the smart kids. This seemed to work well; at least, I got lots of soldiers and doctors and policemen and no cleaners or nurses.

The second lesson plan, teaching the items used for each occupation, was mainly for further practice of the occupation names and so I didn't really focus much on the names of the actual items on the flashcards. I had 22, one for every kid in the class, and had them come up to stick them next to the right occupation. This was a good warmer that got everyone involved and focused on the lesson. You could combine it with the intro; elicit a sentence about the picture of the item ("He is a doctor") and then give it to whoever made the sentence to come up and stick. This is what I did, quickly and somewhat chaotically, as otherwise it just takes way too long and they get bored.

And no, it's not a very artistic worksheet... like I said, I have NO artistic skill and I get my worksheets from others when possible... but it worked.
    Hello
    Im Shanaz from Sri Lanka. I was browsing for some lesson plans on occupations when I stumbled onto your one. Its a good way to start off the lesson. As for a song, I made up one to the tune of 'Are you Sleeping, Brother John?' It goes like this:

I'm a doctor
    I'm a doctor
    What are you?
    What are you?
    I work in the hospital
    I work in the hospital
    How about you?
    How about you?

I am a teacher - I teach little children, I am a policeman - I help catch criminals etc.

Each S can take a role and sing the relevant part. let me know if you like it.
    Thanks. Bye

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for your post. It was very helpful! This is my first time teaching and I want to to a good job.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

thanks,

member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tracy20070806 View Post
    thanks
    fugeddaboutit

Senior Member Array KhunKruMark's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

This lesson plan seems a bit heavy handed for 7 year old kids.

Don't forget that P1s have just come from kindergarten and haven't done much in the way of formal English learning.

Also - I'm assuming that this work sheet is for private students as schools will have their own books with lessons on this.

If these are private students you need to get a copy of what they are learning from at school to get the wording right.

For example - are you going to teach 'fireman' or 'fire fighter'?
    Are you going to teach 'postman' or 'postal worker'?
    Is he a 'football player' or a 'soccer player'?

OK... Moving on: There are too many occupations.

Start with six: Doctor, nurse, teacher, cook, soldier, farmer.

Next: Are you teaching contractions or not?
    He is = He's
    She is = She's
    Is not = Isn't

Simple statements: (Write these on the board.)

Pronunciation: Make sure every student makes the 's' sound.

He's a doctor.
    She's a nurse.

He isn't a teacher.
    She isn't a cook.

Simple questions and answers.

Is he a doctor? Yes he is.
    Is she a soldier? No, she isn't.

Simple questions and longer answers.

Is she a soldier? No, she isn't. She's a nurse.

(Write the questions and answers on the board with some words missing so the students can fill them in.)

With P1 students many of them will just repeat the question when you ask them something.
    Always use the brightest students to kick-start your Q and A sessions. The others will quickly learn.

Give students a flashcard: Point and say...

I am a soldier.
    He's a doctor.
    She's a nurse.

Your lesson plans are way over complicated and cover needless vocabulary. (Handcuffs?)

You are trying to do too much at once and all this information will overwhelm 7 year old students who are still learning Thai, don't forget!

Good luck.

vCash
    Thanks

Hey there's some awesome stuff here!