--> International House - Bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need printable handouts of simple english /thai with drawings

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

need printable handouts of simple english /thai with drawings

Hi.......

is there a place to get simple english handouts ?
    this is what I would like, a drawing of the human body with english and thai words for arms, legs etc, the same for common foods, colors, animals, etc

In California I can get books for young kids but without the thai script which is important if they are going to take the printouts home,

This is just to teach them 50 -100 words in english

Do you think its important to also have the word in thai phonetic spelling ?

I know that when I am trying to learn Thai or even Spanish I need to have the word with phonetic spelling,

Thanks for your ideas

Dave

vCash
    Thanks

quick search turned up this.

YouTube - "Body parts" English-Thai Pictionary
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

thanks, those are very good, but I think I need something printable so they can look at it later (hopefully)

Dave

vCash
    Thanks

Dave in LA:

The Oxford Picture Dictionary in Thai and English vice-versa is very comprehensive.

Keep us posted, we can offer more ideas.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Um can I be a massive know-it-all-pain-in-the-arse? What is your objective here? I mean if you have a picture why do you need it written in Thai? Are you teaching them Thai vocab? If they know what the thing in the picture is then why does it need to be written in Thai? Personally I'm not a fan of Thai phonetics, it is just a pointless step.
    Papa was a rodeo - Mama was a rock'n'roll band
    I could play guitar and rope a steer before I learned to stand

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Dear " massive know-it-all-pain-in-the-arse"

Good question , but here is my logic ,
    Say you have drawings of fruits, an apple, if you have it in Thai they know its an apple and not a pear, sure they might remember the day of the lesson, but what about months later ?

That also goes with Thai phonetics, maybe they forget how to say it in English, if they have it written in Thai phonetics then they can work it out,

The problem for me learning Thai and them learning simple English words is that we are working with 2 alphabets , if you do not have the words in phonetics pronunciation of your alphabet you will be lost,

That is why I do not like Rosetta Stone, my brain needs 3 things, a picture, a phonetics pronunciation in English and hearing the word spoken, then it sticks in my brain, but I need to have the phonetics pronunciation if I am going to write out a "cheat sheet" to review it later.

I have no idea if this is normal practice teaching English, it just works for me

Dave
    Last edited by Dave in LA; 12th August 2010 at 21:36.

No space to add a decent Array you_me_no_savy_talk_talk's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
    Say you have drawings of fruits, an apple, if you have it in Thai they know its an apple and not a pear
    Surely if they have the drawings they already know it is an apply and not a pear...

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

great if you have a color drawing and the person even knows what an apple and pear is, I will have a black and white photocopy, and poor , rural , people

but even at that if you are dyslectic you need more "triggers" to help you remember.....

Dave

vCash
    Thanks

great if you have a color drawing and the person even knows what an apple and pear is, I will have a black and white photocopy, and poor , rural , people but even at that if you are dyslectic you need more "triggers" to help you remember..... Dave
    Dave,

sorry if I missed it. Are you in LA now, or in Thailand?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I am in LA now for a couple months.....WHY

Dave
    old guy just trying to learn simple Thai and teach simple English for free because its needed
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

I am in LA now for a couple months.....WHY Dave
    I'm asking because you stated they were "rural farmers" and you lack resources.

So, I assume you're teaching English in LOS, because in LA you'd have resources.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi.....not sure where you got the rural farmers, but these are Thais working in my friends shop, and his sister has a shop selling to tourists

its not that I lack resources., I can get all the books in English I would ever need, But thats not going to help them if it also does not have the words also written in Thai script , and I believe also phonetics pronunciation in Thai script.

Dave

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Say you have drawings of fruits, an apple, if you have it in Thai they know its an apple and not a pear, sure they might remember the day of the lesson, but what about months later ?
    I really don't follow you're thinking here..

That also goes with Thai phonetics, maybe they forget how to say it in English, if they have it written in Thai phonetics then they can work it out,
    I know this is the common rationale but I really think it is an added distraction with disadvantages in the long term that far outweight the short term gains. Foremost of these disadvantages is the inability of Thai script to describe some English sounds namely, 'v', 'th' 'z' and 'sh'. On top of this you have certain rules of reading Thai that don't apply to English, The final 'l' read as 'n', final 's' read as 't', etc. In effect what you are asking your students to do is read Thai in an English way. Wouldn't it be easier just to have the sts learn how to read English effectively in the first place?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

thanks for your thoughts, this is going to be 10 minutes here , 10 minutes another day, not really a class ,
    but maybe the phonetics pronunciation is a bad idea, thats what I am trying to figure out,

I am first going to do numbers and colors , then common thai foods that they will know what they are......no reason to learn "tacos"

I am not trying to be a full time teacher , just trying to give them an opening to english with a native speaker, 90% plus will probably not care , but maybe a few will be interested,

I have done this a little already with another friends workers and they had fun with it , just learning a few words......

anyway thats the plan, but we all know how plans go in LOS

Dave

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

fair enough Dave, given the circumstances, I can't find fault with your approach, and I agree that it's probably the best way. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast