Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching in Saudi Arabia

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Teaching in Saudi Arabia

^Thanks for the links, I'll have a look.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemmax View Post
    But I wouldn't expect to enjoy the job and that's definitely not a good way to start any job, especially when you are a teacher. On second thoughts, maybe my conscience would stop me from taking the job. And then again... the money....
    I've met plenty of people who've worked in Saudi but haven't done so myself, so the words of Jimbo and Tomcat trump mine.

I don't think it's 'conscience' that makes people decide for or against Saudi.

Barf - what I'd say is that you just have to decide how important the money is. If it matters to you enough to essentially put your life in storage for ten months then go for it.

I think Jimbo's point is crucial - you need to go to Saudi with a goal of what to do with your money. It doesn't matter if that plan is to buy a house / go to work in S. America, whatever. It makes things so much easier than just going 'because the cash will be handy'. It's people without a plan that tend to fall by the wayside.

That accomodation looks a bit grim, but if you can grit your teeth for ten months and you've calculated how much money it will be worth and that sum appeals then why not give it a try.

At the worst you'll emerge ten months later knowing that you'll never go near the place ever again and that relative poverty in Thailand (or wherever) aint so bad after all. And you'll have your modest but reassuring bundle of cash.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Well put Cy. You've almost inspired me to start searching (instead of waiting)!

The accom. does look a bit rough, but I'm fairly certain inside are not rooms, but rather 2 bedroom apt.s (maybe 2 baths!) with marble counters in the kitchen,...and a hallway (inside).

bart: can you communicate with any teachers already living there??

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    At the worst you'll emerge ten months later knowing that you'll never go near the place ever again and that relative poverty in Thailand (or wherever) aint so bad after all. And you'll have your modest but reassuring bundle of cash.
    That's how I've been looking at it. I do have pretty definite plans for the money, but it might be better to accept a slightly lower salary in a more comfortable country (UAE, for example).

A friend of mine who has been working the Gulf for several years said this might be the best offer I get at this time of year. He said schools are about to close for the summer, and little or no hiring will be done until October. Is this pretty accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The accom. does look a bit rough, but I'm fairly certain inside are not rooms, but rather 2 bedroom apt.s (maybe 2 baths!) with marble counters in the kitchen,...and a hallway (inside).
    The pictures from inside the apts look decent - kind of a like a medium-grade hotel. There is at least a bedroom, kitchen and "office," but I don't know exactly how large it is.

bart: can you communicate with any teachers already living there??
    I have no contact details for current teachers. How would you go about getting those?
    Last edited by barfomcgee; 17th June 2009 at 17:21. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

UAE (cy's specialty of course)...more comfortable indeed, and more to spend money on.

I could live in Dubai.....and just call it living. Saudi is a decision to save. (In Tomcats case, it put him into retirement). I knew a yank about Tomcat's age in Riyadh who was coming up on his 15th year of teaching and ready to retire too. The guy had bought a fucking ranch in Wyoming!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barfomcgee View Post
    A friend of mine who has been working the Gulf for several years said this might be the best offer I get at this time of year. He said schools are about to close for the summer, and little or no hiring will be done until October. Is this pretty accurate?
    There are still loads of places advertising.

Teachers are going to be stampeding out of the region over the next two weeks - some praying they don't bump into their students in SE Asia's sleaziest spots.

However a lot of HR depts will still be recruiting between now and Sept. Dave's is swimming in ads for the gulf at the moment.

Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board - International Job Board

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrille View Post
    Dave's is swimming in ads for the gulf at the moment.
    Yeah, I check Dave's fairly often - mostly Saudi jobs, though. The UAE jobs often require teacher certification, which I don't have, and many require you to attend interviews in the US/UK.

vCash
    Thanks

Last edited by process; 17th June 2009 at 17:39. Reason: jimbo jumped in! =(

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

I have no contact details for current teachers. How would you go about getting those?
    Straight to your potential employer.

Ask politely to email a few of them, before you get in too deep.

Just like forums, be wary of one guy saying, "fuk this place, it's orrible' stay away!!!!
    (there will most likely be one) look for the level-headed guy who tells it like it is. pluses and minuses. of course if 5 guys say the former.....wide berth.

I used to get suspicious (when hiring) if someone DIDN'T ask to contact some teachers!

vCash
    Thanks

Saudi, UAE & what not maybe the place for money but what about...

women?
    beer?
    entertainment?

I'm assuming.... women no go
    beer...from what I read only served in coffee shops
    entertainment.... no clubs/beer/pole dancing/cinemas with English movies?! How's the internet speed wise? restricted? online gambling yay-ok?

vCash
    Thanks

It's true that UAE jobs do tend to ask for higher qualifications - they can afford to because more people are attracted to living here. With just a CELTA or equivalent there aren't many jobs here that will make you money - and of course there's lots more to spend it on.

There are lots of people who work here without PGCE or equiv. though. Outside of the primary / secondary schools a Masters is more common.

Lots of interviews these days are done via video conferencing. I had two interviews in Bangkok via that method.

Quote Originally Posted by process View Post
    Saudi, UAE & what not
    You can't group Saudi and UAE together - they're completely different.

Especially in the areas you mention - much more relaxed here.
    Last edited by Cyrille; 17th June 2009 at 17:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

^YUP!

Quote Originally Posted by process View Post
    Saudi, UAE & what not maybe the place for money but what about...

women?
    beer?
    entertainment?

I'm assuming.... women no go
    beer...from what I read only served in coffee shops
    entertainment.... no clubs/beer/pole dancing/cinemas with English movies?! How's the internet speed wise? restricted? online gambling yay-ok?
    Saudi:

women are possible, but you're (nearly) only prayer is on compounds. If you don't live on one, get invited on weekend nights! Nurses were usually the main course back in my day.

Beer - make it (simple)

entertainment - satt tv, internet, bring books (careful what kind), learn something, trek the desert, rent(buy) a car and go to Taif, Jeddah, the empty quarter, alot of people dive the red sea and often!, expat softball leagues are still going on in major cities, contact the USO near army bases for groups of just about anything....hash harriers are there.

vCash
    Thanks

entertainment - satt tv, internet, bring books (careful what kind), learn something, trek the desert, rent(buy) a car and go to Taif, Jeddah, the empty quarter, alot of people dive the red sea and often!, expat softball leagues are still going on in major cities, contact the USO near army bases for groups of just about anything....hash harriers are there.
    That doesn't sound so bad.

Nurses were usually the main course back in my day.
    Foreigners, presumably?

Beer - make it (simple)
    Toilet wine? Seriously, how is that done?

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!

Foreigners, presumably?
    NOOOOooooo expats.

I was with a South African lass......Ezna.....ooohhh! She was fit!

My mate was with a kiwi nurse. Much later I returned married and used to help a brit out by signing a Filipino out of her "barracks" (only married couples could do that) so they could spend an afternoon together, no nights. The cracker lasses [like me and my mates], could stay out all night without a problem.

ALLLL of them: Furry-ners

Toilet wine? Seriously, how is that done?
    Not to be confused with "bathtub gin" which really can be made in the tub.

You have options....the bathtub gin, fermenting (aging?) near-beer into real beer (10 days minimum), wine (1 month minimum), or making proper moonshine (time). (I'd recommend just buying the shine tho...it needs a constant flame)

I can't just recite a recipe, but it's easily searchable, and everything you need is at the grocery store.

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

It's only 10 months and the cash could make a massive difference for years to come... I'd say go for it... What you got to loose? (Except your life and sanity )
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast