Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photography In Thailand

Falling From Grace... Array Hollow's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

^ Indeed. I know a guy who sold several photos during the red shit nonsense a couple years back.
    Jesus is coming, open your mouth!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hales View Post
    hard for them to prove taking photos is "work".

eeexactly.

but generally, if you're going to run around in a kevlar ensemble when bullets are flying waving your press credentials, you'd probably need a work permit. or, if you plan on doing something that usually involves a storefront, like wedding photography, you'll either need a WP or a creative workaround for not having a storefront...

Olive Brancher (*) Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    but generally, if you're going to run around in a kevlar ensemble when bullets are flying waving your press credentials, you'd probably need a work permit.
    I doubt that many of the foreign journalists during the Red Riots went through months of getting a work permit prior to shooting pictures.

swing you sinners! Array Mr. Hales's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

no.
    "vast and black. the thing that was poised, like a crow over the moon. round and smooth. cannon balls. things that have fallen from the sky to this earth. our slippery brains. things like cannon balls have fallen, in storms, upon this earth. like cannon balls are things that, in storms, have fallen to this earth. showers of blood. showers of blood. showers of blood. " c.f.

vCash
    Thanks

Moon Lander Champion!
    Just start submitting. Anything is possible. Keep your options varied and if you're dedicated, have some talent/skill in photography (unlike me!!) then you can find plenty or work. The decision is do you want to work commercially (products/services), in fashion (models), travel photography (places), or something else? The big hurdle is to change your visa (assuming you are on a teaching visa now) and become a FT photographer that is recognized. The right Thai Corp. can fix your visa with a snap of their fingers, but they (obviously) have to want you....a lot.

Don't forget also, these days photographers do most of their own promoting and are using agents/managers less and less. A website is basic and a strong portfolio showing your variable talents is too. Seems like (these days) the most successful working photographers are also fair to excellent writers.

good luck

Pretty Like Girl Array WilliamBlake's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeusbheld View Post
    i think it's one of those rules like the sign on apartments that say "no pets"... they only notice if you've got a pet if either you, or the pet, is a pain in the ass.
    They should just say "No pests" and be done with it.
    The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.

~L.P. Hartley

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I doubt that many of the foreign journalists during the Red Riots went through months of getting a work permit prior to shooting pictures.
    of course not, because the ones who are based here and work for major news outlets already have them.

vCash
    Thanks

I'm happy the OP came back to say "thanks" or "kiss my ass". What's up with these one hit wonders?
    "While Jim is milking the Russian Boar, I'm in the shade of a Baobab tree being served a cool drink by a beautiful young indigenous girl. "
    Marlin Perkins

Aloha - Aloha HARD

vCash
    Thanks

Well, I used to work as a pro back home. And before thinking of teaching, I brought large format and medium format gear over. The competition is mostly a guy with a camera and a few assistants. They have seldom an understanding of light and choose noon and direct sunlight

If they have Canon L-lenses like the tele-zoom, they wave it about, damaging the camera's bayonet. They come daily to my condo village ????? ???????????? Condo Condominium ??????????

The studio photos for my own wedding were terrible. The "photographer" had a top of the line Canon DSLR but used a zoom lens at the wide angle setting and he stepped back, wasting 75% of the pixesls and relying on some guy to edit this out. Next, they would mess with the image and turn a face into something befitting Barbie & Ken.

Outside, helpers would reflect sun light onto our faces instead of providing shadow.

All these costumes and hairdo changes - forget the studio side, or buy an existing business.

Bottom line is, you might operate in a legal grey zone. And the existing guys with cameras seem to have the market under control. Forget image quality and real slides lasting say 30 years when DVDs might deteriorate within a few years.

Closing, watch out and prevent fungus - a major headache for the expensive lenses!

Chris

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Interesting thread.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I am seeking someone who is an expert with a camera and photography, Thai or non-Thai who speaks good English.

I currently have a D/SLR Canon 500D and only use the basic zone on the Mode Dial.

So I need someone to teach me how to use the Creative Zone.

I have listed some points I may need, please note that I am willing to be advised by you on the points that you can offer and what I need to be shown.

How to use my camera settings for different situations.
    Basic composition rules.
    Using flash.
    What makes a good picture.
    Using simple photo editing software to enhance and edit your images.
    Camera settings; using the pre-stored and manual settings
    White balance
    Depth of field
    The art of composition, including framing, movement and lighting
    Perfecting your macro
    Choosing your subjects
    monochrome vs colour
    Basic for beginners.
    Portrait Photography & Lighting.
    Close-up, macro and nature Photography.

I have searched the internet for tuition and workshops in Thailand, they are either too expensive (top photographers) or have no workshops available now.

I also know the fees (compensation) they offer, for instance 2,500 Baht for 2 day course I have seen offered and a lot more by some.
    How many days do I need? What about night-time shots? I will leave it to you.

So please send me an e-mail on what you could offer me with the fee, I am currently in Ayutthaya and can travel to a reasonable distance from here, I am looking for someone friendly, down to earth and will enjoy teaching.

I will reply to all e-mails to me without question.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12