-->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teaching Horror Stories from Outside the Kingdom

vCash
    Thanks

Teaching Horror Stories from Outside the Kingdom

We often see this forum flooded with teaching horror stories about the crappy educational system in Thailand, and those pesky lazy students. People rant and rave about how horrible things are in the Thai educational system, but what is the educational systems like else where? Well in an effort to help spread the negativity beyond the borders of Thailand I have created this thread. A thread which knows no borders or limits when it comes to negativity. So please help this global effort by sharing your stories here

United States of America

My teaching horror story doesn't come from Thailand, but from the good ole' U - S of A. When I came back to the States 2 months ago to take care of some things, I grabbed a teaching job for some income for the few months I would be home. I got hired at a high school for "special" kids. I work at a boys school for juvenile delinquents who are court ordered to attend the high school. I teach murderers, crack dealers, thieves, gang members, and all kinds of other sweet kids.

I am responsible for teaching English, Health, and GED preparation. My student's skill with the English language is worse than my students in Thailand. In my English class, the intelligent kids ask questions like "what's the difference between increase and decrease", while the less bright kids would struggle to read a Curious George book. In health class I get well thought out questions like "If you fuck a dead goat, can you get AIDS?". That's usually when I highlight the benefits of trial and error.

In addition to having the joy of witnessing the scholastic achievements of these wonderful children, I also have the privilege of often being on the receiving end of their tireless physical violence. Given the type of school this is, I do have the clearance necessary to take a hands on approach, but it's certainly not a good feeling.

I teach because I enjoy it and I love to help the worlds youth, but showing up everyday to this type of negative environment is depressing. The kids I work with are the people that are our there in the world hurting the type of people that I would like to help. It makes you seriously wonder how individuals can get to this point in their lives, it really gives you a bleak outlook on humanity in general. I can't wait to get out of this damn school. Hopefully, I will be back in Thailand in September to deal with those beautifully lazy Thai students

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Teaching Horror Stories from Outside the Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by Capricious View Post
    I teach because I enjoy it and I love to help the worlds youth.....Hopefully, I will be back in Thailand in September to deal with those beautifully lazy Thai students
    I believe you have the right stuff Cap. At least in Thailand most kids are willing to listen and comply.
    ลาน้องก่อน พี่จนถึงต้องจำจาก, ถึงแม้พี่จะหลงรัก ฐานะพาพราก ต้องจากจอมใจ
    ถ้าหากมั่งมี แล้วพี่จะคืนมาใหม่, ไม่ว่าจะอยู่แห่งไหน จะนานเท่าไร ยังไม่ลืมบาง...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Truthfully, I think I was pretty blessed with the students at my school in Thailand. The kids were wonderful and many of them I continue to communicate with on a regular basis. Of course, you have your problem students anywhere you go, but the problem students in Thailand are more of a minor annoyance more than anything.

vCash
    Thanks

true, public schools in California make me wonder, WTF? What are they teaching now a day? For some reason, it seems as though the children are lost today, lacking behind other industrialise countries in Math, Science are increasing by the day.

Established User Array Grammar Monster's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I taught at a school in the UK in a rough-and-ready suburb of Manchester that was infamous for riots, etc. I couldn't go by car, because it would have been vandalised or stolen. Girls were turning tricks in classrooms and drugs were openly sold on the street. And, the worse thing was that I expected it as I had attended a high school in which the same sort of things had been going on.

How many of you have been attacked while teaching? Do you have to look at your students all the time to ensure that nothing is thrown at you? Can you walk down the corridor without worrying who is behind you? Would your students set fire to your flat just for fun?

I'd far prefer to teach in Thailand.

In the sentence "It's one of those things that happen", the antecedent of that which is the subject is not one and so the primacy of one doesn't dictate using the verb 'happens'. Is that explanation correct?

vCash
    Thanks

that's horrible

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Last edited by ScienceGuy; 12th January 2009 at 18:20.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGuy View Post
    This isn't a teaching story but a factual account of an American High School:

A typical day at a government school in the suburbs of the USA:

1. Students walk to school, buy cigarrettes at the local gas station, and smoke on their way to class.
    2. Outside the school(50 feet), marijuana and other drugs are inexpensive and each class has a drug dealer.
    3. Many kids skip classes they don't like and modify the school bubble sheet when the teacher isn't looking so there is no record of the absence.
    4. Everybody gets in a fist-fight at least once. Brawlers on steroids roam the hallways.
    5. Students have the power to get you fired.
    6. Teachers get attacked, but not very often.
    7. Half of all kids are from broken homes
    8. Many students don't graduate, and several wind up in jail.
    9. Most students have sex by the age of 16.
    10. Of the students who graduate, about 50% will have to take remedial courses at college to continue their education. Probably due to all the absences, drugs, and disruptions...
    11. Each year(or so), at least one school has shooting rampage where several people are killed.
    This is also true of government High Schools in Bangkok suburbs, but maybe not so extreme. In the rural areas it's much less extreme.
    Yeah, the slums are awful! I worked n the other side of the tracks, worked there but couldn't afford to live there. Got nothing negative to tell.

Senior Member Array happychappy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jonny danger View Post
    A typical day at a government school in the suburbs of the USA:

1. Students walk to school, buy cigarrettes at the local gas station, and smoke on their way to class.
    2. Outside the school(50 feet), marijuana and other drugs are inexpensive and each class has a drug dealer.
    3. Many kids skip classes they don't like and modify the school bubble sheet when the teacher isn't looking so there is no record of the absence.
    4. Everybody gets in a fist-fight at least once. Brawlers on steroids roam the hallways.
    5. Students have the power to get you fired.
    6. Teachers get attacked, but not very often.
    7. Half of all kids are from broken homes
    8. Many students don't graduate, and several wind up in jail.
    9. Most students have sex by the age of 16.
    10. Of the students who graduate, about 50% will have to take remedial courses at college to continue their education. Probably due to all the absences, drugs, and disruptions...
    11. Each year(or so), at least one school has shooting rampage where several people are killed.

This is also true of government High Schools in Bangkok suburbs, but maybe not so extreme. In the rural areas it's much less extreme.
    My school in the u.k early to mid 70's
    1. Did this myself.
    2. Never saw it.
    3. Did this also, but never changed the register.
    4.And again, but without the steroids.
    5.Never had this sort of power.
    6. Teachers did get attacked,though not by me.
    7.Spent time in foster homes myself.
    8.My choice to not go to jail.
    9. 15 year olds having sex, yes it use to happen.
    10.Never went to college, straight to work, wanted the money.
    11. Never see a gun unless we went to a mates house who lived on a farm. Went shooting, never thought about shooting anybody though.

So there are comparisons there. But i never mugged, murdered, raped, went to jail etc.
    and i would suggest there are a lot of posters out there who could duplicate this post.
    My next door neighbours have challenged me to a water fight , so I am just writing this while I am waiting for the kettle to boil .

vCash
    Thanks

J.H. Christ! Another "Down with America" thread. Gimme a f'in break!

Capricious: Why would you come all the way back to Thailand? Why don't you just move to a better school in the US??

ScienceGuy, I don't even know where to begin.
    You say all of these represent a typical day at a govt school in the US. This doesn't sound at all typical to me.

vCash
    Thanks

Happy, that isn't my quote. This is my quote:
    Yeah, the slums are awful! I worked on the other side of the tracks, worked there but couldn't afford to live there. Got nothing negative to tell.
    Y'all who think your lil town represents America make yourselves look somewhat provincial, eh?

vCash
    Thanks

Happy, that isn't my quote
    Sorry mate, I just grabbed the nearest one.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    Sorry mates, I just got out of class, still pissed from the night before. My problem is that I dress as a woman in the day and can't let myself get close enough to the other teachers or students as my breath surely haunts the air. It's only that our school wasn't ready to hire on another man so I masqueraded with my wife's merkin and other articles of clothing. I'm a rather good looking chap, never did have much of a beard .. so far, so good. Sorry to tug on your trouser leg about this but today I need a friend and I want to be honest today.
    We're here for you, happychappy. Is that you in the avatar?

vCash
    Thanks

Bit over the top JD, just cos i misquoted, fuck knows what would happen if I ever called you a cvnt

We're here for you, happychappy. Is that you in the avatar?
    I wish it was, coulda made a fortune instead of hanging round Pattaya waiting for my next Iranian
    Last edited by happychappy; 21st July 2008 at 17:17. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My old school every year the Irish, 95% of the school, always played the Rest of the World in the annual St Patricks Day football match. Being just about the only English bloke in the school i had the pleasuure of captaining the rest of the world. Our tactics were simple. 11 souls behinnd the ball and pray. By a miracle we were winning only for the cheating Irish ref to give the Irish a last minute penaty. Pissed off i took the kick off passed to some really small asian guy who proceeded to hit a rocket from 35 yards in the top corner. The cardinnal sin had been broken. in 35 years the irish had never lost on Paddy's Day. Cue the chaos. Egged on by the teachers our entire team got jumped and kicked the shit out of for about 5 minutes. Except me who legged it for the train station. upon my return 4 teammats were in the medical roomand the poor Asian lad had a broken arm. Totally worth it though. Me and my mate ran a book on the match and make a killing on the result.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast