Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is my plan, any ideas?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

This is my plan, any ideas?

I am 33 and from the US. I am getting CELTA certified but do not have a degree. My plan is to start working right after that and begin working on a degree in my spare time. It seems lots of countries strictly require a degree (which I understand). My question is where is the best place to begin work in your opinion where I won't starve to do this. I'm not looking to make a ton of money, just experience a few different interesting cultures for a few years while I continue my education and work up the ladder. I will have plenty of money saved to get myself started. So let's here some stories from people who have also started out this way.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: This is my plan, any ideas?

Last edited by ScienceGuy; 12th January 2009 at 17:39.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Thanks scienceguy. That helps. I'm probably taking the CELTA in Phuket. Like I said, I will have plenty of money saved, probably around $70,000 from bartending over the years. I realize that I will be living paycheck to paycheck without a degree. But, my main motivation is to be able to work and make enough to survive and travel a little some and see the world for a while before I start working on that degree. What about Europe, Latin America, or other areas of the world. What other countries is it possible to at least get started like this?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Europe I wouldn't recommend mate, more expensive then the US in the western countries and the eastern countries are not the nicest place to be. Saying that Turkey does have some opportunities for English teachers, but I doubt that they are easy to get.

For latin America you will want to talk to a guy on this board called Mr stretch sorry if I've spelt that wrong I will check.

I think Thailand is a good place to start, of course you're not gonna get the big bucks here, but you could get a job in a language school or at a normal school out in the sticks.
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Let me also ask if anyone knows anything about working for hotels. If so, what cities (anywhere in the world) would you recommend to start looking? What kind of pay and do they put you up with room and board? Has anyone tried this? It would be optimal for me at this stage I think since I have worked in restaurants and hotels all my life.

Established User Array martyboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Hi Kevhov,

You said you understand why the Thai authorities require EFL teachers to have a degree. Why do you think a degree is necessary?

Established User Array daniel36's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Why is a degree necessary? Because people want to know you spent thousands of dollars to be credited with an education even though I've met many people who have degrees that most wouldn't consider "educated" or very intelligent for that matter. It isn't that you learned anything really or even went to classes. It isn't that you can speak or can think critically. You just have to spend the money to get that piece of paper.

Education begins at birth and it should last a lifetime. Four years at a university does not make you educated or intelligent.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Most people argue that a degree shows that you have the dedication to stick at something for 4 years.

I am one of the few that has managed to make it in Thailand without a degree, I don't teach EFL though as I work for an international school. You don't need a degree to be able to teach, you need the ability to teach, anyone with a degree that has nothing to do with education and is working as a teacher is the same. They are great teachers because of their ability as teachers.

Of course a nice paying job is hard to find without a degree now and its getting harder.

acostumbrado equivocado Array happynz's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevhov View Post
    Like I said, I will have plenty of money saved, probably around $70,000 from bartending over the years. I realize that I will be living paycheck to paycheck without a degree.
    I hope this doesn't hurt your feelings. Your plan sucks.

Why don't you go to Australia and invest that money in yourself by getting your degree there. As a student I believe you can work 20 hours a week during terms and full-time during the holidays. Western Australia is in the midst of a boom now so making some extra coin shouldn't be too difficult. Also, Perth isn't that far a plane trip from Phuket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My alternative universe...
    Así pues, aquí estamos.

vCash
    Thanks

but do not have a degree.
    hard thing to do that teaching without a formal education

just experience a few different interesting cultures for a few years while I continue my education and work up the ladder.
    ill tell ya man....

1. you will experience different cultures
    2. you will not have time nor the energy to get your degree at the same time. somethings got to give (you either need to be home, or settled abroad...a travelling/wandering student wont cut it nowadays)
    3. there is no ladder to climb. you either love the kids and thus enjoy your work, or youre scraping out an existence as a bitter curmudgeon desperate to punch out at the end of the day. its a love job, and thats the only way you will keep your sanity here. in fact if you are looking for ladders (which tend to be the necks of your colleagues) you will be perpetually frustrated.

come here. do the job enjoy it for what its worth. but the bottom line is that no one will invest in you, if you havent done so for yourself.

...or you can do the smart thing, and just finish your degree first, then go abroad, and you can teach pretty much anywhere.

vCash
    Thanks

My plan is to start working right after that and begin working on a degree in my spare time.
    Working at any job and doing a degree part time is difficult...teaching and doing a degree part time is very difficult...at best (and that is stretching it) you may fit in 30% of study in a year...that means 10 years to do a 3 year degree part time...that is no way to make a living.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiling View Post
    that is no way to make a living.

but its certainly a way to get on the road to alcoholism!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stfranalum View Post

but its certainly a way to get on the road to alcoholism!

Posted via Mobile Device

I guess I'll explain why. I do have a few a years of college but quit because I was disinterested at the time. School was easy for me. I had advanced everything. I tutored calculus when I was a senior in high school. I'm not bragging, but it was easy. I want to get an online degree so I will be able to do that as long as I have constant Internet access. I don't want to go to austrlia and have to stay there for years. I have the option of going somewhere else if I want to this way. I know it won't be easy, but working 25 hours or so a week doesn't seem like it would affect my ability to get a degree at the same time. I worked full time when I was in school before and had no problem. I probably won't start the degree thing for a year or 2 until I can work the details though.
    Last edited by kevhov; 10th August 2008 at 09:52. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

I guess I'll explain why. I do have a few a years of college but quit because I was disinterested at the time. School was easy for me. I had advanced everything. I tutored calculus when I was a senior in high school. I'm not bragging, but it was easy. I want to get an online degree so I will be able to do that as long as I have constant Internet access. I don't want to go to austrlia and have to stay there for years. I have the option of going somewhere else if I want to this way. I know it won't be easy, but working 25 hours or so a week doesn't seem like it would affect my ability to get a degree at the same time. I worked full time when I was in school before and had no problem. I probably won't start the degree thing for a year or 2 until I can work the details though.
    Naive to say the least. Teaching and doing a good job is demanding. Once you get to Thailand and experience the atmosphere I reckon you'll quickly put studying on the back burner. New culture, new language and a job you have no experience in. be realistic.

vCash
    Thanks

Let me also ask if anyone knows anything about working for hotels
    go on jobsabroad.com. if you have years of bartending experience you could probably get a job in india or maybe greece, south america, etc. unless you're sick of bartending, that would be a great way for you to live abroad, and some of those jobs will even put you up. I looked at a few of these myself before I decided to go the teaching route.

just out of curiosity where are you now?
    I can't believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast