-->

Thread: Sickening Video

Senior Member Array johnny larue's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Sickening Video

Given the recent publicity of that new multi-million dollar school in LA, this 3 year old report should make Americans sick.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be. - TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Möbius Strip Tease Array Anna Key's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 706 Posts

I've watched most of this, JL as time is against me this morning. It's certainly very interesting. So far a whole lot of questions, but the answers seem elusive. The one thing that struck me early on was that 'more money' doesn't necessarily deliver 'more education'.

Oh, and 'rubber rooms'!

I'll be interested in others comments - particularly those posters who have worked within the US system.

vCash
    Thanks

There are teachers in NY who make $100k and sit in a rubber room all day.

(aka) ♂♀♪♫ Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Sickening? OK. I see your school video and raise you my "cooking a dog video".

vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

well, that americans are stupid, is old news, but that American schools make Thai schools look acceptable is news.

lol at 21:54, "they don't teaching the kids"
    Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ALWAYS GIVE A 100% AT WORK:

12% Monday
    23% Tuesday
    40% Wednesday
    20% Thursday
    5% Friday

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Excuses for failure. Sounds like Thailand.

vCash
    Thanks

I watched both clips, Johnny LaRue.

The first clip, it's hard to say how to fix these high schools. Lots of talk over the years. I'm not sure one answer or group of answers have been found nor implemented.

I just remember some kids (only a few) that left the public school I went to, to go to private schools when high school started. But these private schools were expensive, and I doubt any horseplay would be tolerated, and if a students was having trouble they'd be worked with more and parents contacted.

And, these students I knew were studious. They studied. The rest of us (ahem...including me) were goof-offs. Playing pranks more thant studying.

And then there's the entire public school system itself.

Complicated topic, IMO.

Second clip:

I found this more disturbing to me than the first one.

Is this the "pussification" of a younger generation in our country?

Grade inflation, obviously.

Not even keeping score of a team, stats of a player.

Self-estem classes every single day?

I agree not to value people based on "talent" or "what they do," but some people (kids) are better at certain things, and the kids and everyone should be aware of this.

I suck at basketball. I didn't start the games. I knew I wasn't as good as the other. In baseball I always started.

I have strong areas in certain subject, but suck at math. I know this.

This "feely-good" mentality can seriously f*ck up the country. Like in Asia, if someone is seriously messing something up at work or on a team, "don't say anything."

This brings everyone down.

Disturbing.
    The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." --Hermann Goering, Nuremburg

vCash
    Thanks

the second vid I found weirder too, I always thought Americans were extremely competitive, "ïn it to win it" "second place is first loser" "be the best" "hooraa" , high-fiving and also the ridiculous trash-talking to your opponent, I figure the people in that vid are in the minority and it will never catch on.

from one extreme to the other.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kikiat View Post
    I figure the people in that vid are in the minority
    The self esteem classes are bit extreme, but the general push against competition is strong.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Maybe their generally not-ready-for-parenthood masters tear them down to an extent a counter-measure is needed. My ex was one of those high self-esteem builders. Our daughter turned out having very high esteem, so high it's sickening. Like in Thailand, you reward a kid for doing nothing and they get the idea they're a head above the rest .. who, in turn, think they're a head above the rest. It's difficult to know the difference between high self-esteem and a undeserving/unearned sense of superiority.

Regular User Array Logic Dictates's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Don't all kids in all US schools have to set up the lunch room?

Seriously, the US is the most productive country in the world. I think that the US needs to continue to instill a strong work ethic in children and to provide them with the skills to go out and be productive.

I love it that the principle was giving out direct cash rewards for the class with perfect attendance. Hard work pays off and lazy, cheating bums should not get rewarded. I just wish the Congress would punish all of the bums and change the system so it doesn't enable them.
    “Mentor: Someone whose hindsight can become your foresight”
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~ Albert Pine