Thread: Photography and Part Time Teacher

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Photography and Part Time Teacher

Hi Chaps,

I have just arrived in the land of smiles and am looking to start a Wedding Photography Business in South East Asia( I am a relatively competent photographer having had work shown at the National Museum of Bangkok, The Association of Photographers and the International Photography Awards in NY - unfortunately artists seem to get paid less than teachers ) .

At the moment I am in a chicken and egg situation, as i have no wedding portfolio to show clients and no clients from which to create a portfolio. Hopefully I can address this by doing a few freebies in the next month or 2 ( anyone getting married ?). However - and I dont want to belittle the industry ( i am right ? sorry !) - If it gets a bit tight in the short /medium term I may look to teach English for the odd few days a week.

I have a BA in Art / Advertising and over 15 years experience in Investment Banking at managerial level. Dont ask! The grass is not greener, especially at that salary ! I have also taught privately before to children aged 5-12 and understand the huge amount of work that goes into preparing lessons that are 'sanuk'. At this point I am probably not looking to do a TEFL or CELTA , but may do in the future.

Would I be right in thinking that the only option would be to put a few ads up in supermarkets and the like or are there other options that you would reccommend ? I am aware this may be the 'cowboy end' of the market initially ,unless I decide to do the professional exams.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I can offer free visa photo portraits in exchange for info :P

RD

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdphotog View Post
    At this point I am probably not looking to do a TEFL or CELTA , but may do in the future. Would I be right in thinking that the only option would be to put a few ads up in supermarkets and the like or are there other options that you would reccommend ? I am aware this may be the 'cowboy end' of the market initially ,unless I decide to do the professional exams.
    Can you just get a job? How would you stay legally without a WP?

vCash
    Thanks

AFAIK, to get a work permit for teaching you need to have a job for at least 15 hours a week.

Moreover, professional photography is a prohibited occupation for foreigners in Thailand according to The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281).

Thai Work Permit - Prohibited Occupations in Thailand