SEE TEFL
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: degree and tefl no longer sufficient lor?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: degree and tefl no longer sufficient lor?

can't you just leave it ZEHNER......and leave people to discuss the actual thread.

sad twat

vCash
    Thanks

so is that a yes or a no?

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Missle Command Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by robitusson
    Even with experience and proficiency exam, you still havr to do the culture course?
    Even with a B.Ed/equivalent and credential you still have to do the culture course, as things stand now. I was told recently that for those of us without a B.Ed/equivalent we have to do the culture course before we can take the exams.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latm
    Even with a B.Ed/equivalent and credential you still have to do the culture course
    yup. we were supposed to do it next month but we're on hols so hopefully the thai MOE will have forgotten about it by april

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by latm
    Even with a B.Ed/equivalent and credential you still have to do the culture course, as things stand now.
    Bizarre. Qualified teachers need to do a Thai culture course! I presume they'll make a big fuss over this, and then it'll all blow over and be forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Hiya everybody,

As a newbie to this forum and to the teaching profession, but not to working in Thailand I have a few comments if I may:

1) There is no legal requirement to hold a TEFL certificate in order to teach.
    2) Anyone with half a brain and who can do basic research on the internet has no reason to believe one word of a TEFL school claiming that a TEFL certificate legally qualifies you to teach in Thailand.
    3) The EP Director of the government school in which I will be teaching (I wanted to teach here because it is in my hometown) required me to get a TEFL certificate in order to secure the position.
    4) I hold a Bachelor Degree in Business, Finance and Banking, have trained thousands of people (including Thais) in an industrial setting but have no classroom teaching experience.
    5) I made the decision to take a non-internet TEFL course long before it was a requirement of the EPD at my future school. This was because I am not a trained professional teacher and respect the profession enough that I, for my and my future students' benefit, felt it was the least I could do before stepping into a classroom.

You can all haggle over semantics or whatever when it comes to a TEFL course but in the end, it is in my opinion, the least a person should do before stepping into a classroom attempting to teach Thai students but does not begin to replace a formal education degree.

TEFL should be looked at as a self-preparatory (not officially mandated) exercise to become a basic teacher in Thailand, nothing more, nothing less. I am taking my class in March and am happy to spend what I am spending for some kind of training to help me perform better in the environment I am stepping into.

As far as the future requirements, I suspect that many schools across the country will face a huge shortage of native speaking teachers if the B ed or equivalent is enforced. I do however see the powers to be to listen to their school administrators and compromise to requiring a Bachelor's degree (any subject) as the basic requirement for teaching consideration. I also believe that there will, in the end, be a grandfather clause for those individuals who don't have a degree but have been continuously teaching "X" amount of years and have a formal letter(s) of declaration of good performance from past school administrators .

I have no source or special relationships that afford me that information but rather it is something I have concluded from many hours of research and having lived in Thailand many years and know how this country operates. If my suspicions are not accurate, it won't be the first or last time I am wrong but you can be sure, the students will be the one's holding the bag without native teachers to teach them.

Regards

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    As far as the future requirements, I suspect that many schools across the country will face a huge shortage of native speaking teachers if the B ed or equivalent is enforced.
    Well this thread is a year old, and there's no sign of a B Ed being required so far......

vCash
    Thanks

I'll drink to that, nothing ever changes here does it?
    'After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box'

ex ex-member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Although, it was a big scare for a lot of people a year ago wasn't it?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Although, it was a big scare for a lot of people a year ago wasn't it?
    Don't worry as someone will be along soon to tell you that he just heard from ..... who told his mate Dave that.... who knows the head of immigration who..... bal bal bal said that you won't be able to stay out of prison unless you have a teacher licence.

Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post

1) There is no legal requirement to hold a TEFL certificate in order to teach.
    2) Anyone with half a brain and who can do basic research on the internet has no reason to believe one word of a TEFL school claiming that a TEFL certificate legally qualifies you to teach in Thailand.
    I liked your post.

However concerning the above two points, there is only one TEFL provider that makes this claim that I know.

From their website:

"Ours is the ONLY TEFL Certificate accepted for a teacher's license and work permit by the Thai Ministry of Education, Bangkok."

They then give you a MOBILE PHONE number to call to confirm this information. I guess MoE cut backs have led to desks and landlines being removed from MoE offices.

I don't think I would be allowed to name this company but if you cut/paste the above text and google, you'll find them.
    Last edited by Loaded; 27th February 2009 at 06:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Hey Loaded,

Just out of curiosity, where did you take your TEFL course?

President of the Galaxy Array zaphodbeeblebrox's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zehner View Post
    yup. we were supposed to do it next month but we're on hols so hopefully the thai MOE will have forgotten about it by april
    New MOE regulations come out in April. It's a new administration. Will it be a new ballgame?

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Hey Loaded,

Just out of curiosity, where did you take your TEFL course?
    UK

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    I was merely pointing out that you're site continues to advertise 'internationally recognised' tefl courses, and as we now know, in Thailand, there may be an issue with this 'recognition'.
    He is giving a space here on this forum for them to put their adverts. How's that Phil's doing? He didn't make the ad...

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Loaded View Post
    bal bal bal
    Shouldn't that be "blah?"

Quote Originally Posted by caojinwei View Post
    Now that is a lot of brass air fittings is just about every type of air fitting that you could want. Wholesale prices too. I guess these could be used as small water pipe fitting also. I used some of the parts to make my babington wvo burner.
    Sorry, but what in the hell are you on about with that post? Gibberish.
    Last edited by Futile; 7th March 2009 at 08:58. Reason: I will not divulge such things in public

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast