--> SEE TEFL
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I being screwed?

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Am I being screwed?

don't say when you're leaving, just leave.
    Sad but true. House rules.

In the meantime. Yup. Threaten with a lawyer. If everything fails remeber to repport them to TEFL Watch. (I think they're still up and running)
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill
    He said its the director who is trying to save money...
    "save money" is a euphemism for ...

vCash
    Thanks

Mine Sweeper Champion!

...getting F'ed in the A.
    Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris? Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It's time that we started telling people about the lack of ethics in school admins in this country BEFORE they even THINK of coming here. I tell every one of my friends, don't do it: the pay is shit, the visa rules are disgusting and insulting, the students don't want to learn: what possible reason is there for coming here? If you want to see the country, take a holiday.It's one of the best destinations in the world for that. But for teaching? Forget it.Go to China, Vietnam, Cambodia, myanmar, Laos - infact, go ANYWHERE except Thailand.

Someone mentioned writing a letter to the Ki: an excellent idea. Also try writing to the Bangkok Post, or contacting the BBC, or doing protests outside the Thai embassy in London: just get attention,.Monkeys don't like losing face: know your enemy.

However, the quickest way out is a trip to the border and bad press.Do it!

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It sounds as though yes, you are being screwed. I would however recommend caution in how you proceed.

Getting advice from the Ministry Of Labour was a very good idea and now that you know you are in the right, it is important to get a Thai to help you. In the West you could threaten all you want and you may or may not get your desired outcome without the need for legal representation. Thais however don't take kindly to being threatened and are known to get stroppy themselves - and possibly even vindictive. I would therefore talk to either an older, senior Thai you know to liaise with them, or get a lawyer.

Be choosy if it comes to retaining a lawyer as the fees charged by lawyers in Thailand vary hugely - and there is not necessarily a correlation between the fee charged and the quality of service provided.

If you are stuck for a good lawyer at a fair price, send me an email and I can put you on to a good guy with very reasonable rates.

vCash
    Thanks

Spoke to my boss again today and told him about my contract and what the MOL said. He mumbled a lot of rubbish about getting a new teacher and budgets but he kind of agreed that i was in the right. He said its the director who is trying to save money and he will speak to him next week to try and make sure i get paid.

Trying to pay it friendly at the moment because if it does get nasty it could drag out for as long as a year. (So I have been told) Since I have to return to England to make some real money I would probably have to just let it go.
    well done, you're going down the right path with this,

stay friendly first, and just inform them on what the "drop big name of governmental agency here" said to you about this.

getting right in their face will have the opposite effect, but do inform next week, stay on it, and if they're still not going to pay, pull out the bigger guns ("my g/f sister is a lawyer"), but from the sound of it you got it sorted already.

"Director is trying to save money" more like : director needs more money for his mia noi/petrol money for his mercedes benz/ another gold watch/etc

Future contracts in this school will probably run till March from now on though, this way a school doesn't have to pay April when someone is leaving, and the new guy will get paid starting from May. I thought most schools were smart enough to figure this out.
    Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ALWAYS GIVE A 100% AT WORK:

12% Monday
    23% Tuesday
    40% Wednesday
    20% Thursday
    5% Friday

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kikiat
    Future contracts in this school will probably run till March from now on though, this way a school doesn't have to pay April when someone is leaving, and the new guy will get paid starting from May. I thought most schools were smart enough to figure this out.

Thats when farrangs start turning down the job lol, I wouldn't work if I wasn't going to be paid 12 months a year.
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stickman
    If you are stuck for a good lawyer at a fair price, send me an email and I can put you on to a good guy with very reasonable rates

Are you the stickman accused by Galt of false advertising ?
    My Behaviour is a function of my experience .

My Personality is a composite of my behaviour patterns,of my

traits,adjustments and the roles that I play.

I act accordingly to the way I see things

:-)

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by re_fuse
    Are you the stickman accused by Galt of false advertising ?
    The one and only!

Established User Array wildbill's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cream
    Thats when farrangs start turning down the job lol, I wouldn't work if I wasn't going to be paid 12 months a year.
    Plenty of schools i know of offer only 11 month contracts. To get paid year-round you have to sign-up for summer school, which is a pain in the ass.

My school has no summer school and everyone is on a 12-month contract. Maybe the school will get wise and will change things for the future. Take the Michael too much though and they really will have a teacher shortage.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cream
    Let me elaborate, when you just start the job, your contract would run from whenever the new school year starts till March, when you wish to stay on another year, your contract would run from March till March,(12 months) so whenever they're changing teachers they could save money in between teachers.

but yea plenty of schools doing 11 or even 10 month contracts, and if they do 12 you'd have to do stuff in the school holiday, glad I'm not in one of those schools.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

When you give notice it gives them time to set you up. 1. They will withhold your salary thinking you have to leave asap and will not fight for it. 2. They may not want you to leave and not accept your resignation. 3. Do unto them before they do unto you. Hahaha. Really, i is best to get your pay in one hand and hand them your immediate resignation in the other. Time is not important to the Thai unless they are using it to their advantage. They will scream but if you already have another contract ready all things will be worked out for the next job within a day. Labor and Immigration are used to this process.

Established User Array wildbill's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Good news. Was told today that I will get two months pay on Friday! So there you go, all's well that ends well. Maybe diplomacy worked or maybe the director knew he didn't have a legal leg to stand on! Going to the MOL certainly helped.

My advice for anyone in a similar position is play it friendly at first; it has saved me a lot of time, money and bullshit.

vCash
    Thanks

Good news. Was told today that I will get two months pay on Friday!
    Congratulations . Where's the bar to celebrate your success?

Stamp

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Good news. Was told today that I will get two months pay on Friday! So there you go, all's well that ends well. Maybe diplomacy worked or maybe the director knew he didn't have a legal leg to stand on! Going to the MOL certainly helped.

My advice for anyone in a similar position is play it friendly at first; it has saved me a lot of time, money and bullshit.
    My advice would be wait till Friday arrives before believing that all's well that ends well

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast