--> SEE TEFL
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nong Khai no longer issuing more than three consecutive 30 day visas. [Again].

Senior Member Array Piece Train's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Nong Khai no longer issuing more than three consecutive 30 day visas. [Again].

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioPower
    Nong Khai no longer issuing more than three consecutive 30 day visas. [Again].
    Nong Khai does not issue visas, the Thai consulate in Ventianne does.

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    But you can't renew them indefinitely ..... only for a few weeks
    Tourist visas are good for sixty days, renewable for thirty days. And then you go back, get another tourist visa, good for sixty days, and then again renewable for thirty days at Immigration in Bangkok.

I've known several teachers who taught on these, as well as a tourist assistance volunteer whose lived off of them for more than a year.

Actually, if you want to go by the books, according to Thai law, you can't even work on a Non B Visa. The Non B is only for preparations in getting a work permit.
    Last edited by Piece Train; 5th May 2008 at 23:55. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Illegal aliens will make you pay...legal aliens can get you paid.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Nong Khai no longer issuing more than three consecutive 30 day visas. [Again].

I find it hard to muster any sympathy at all for such people ..... to be so irresponsible beggars belief.
    Who would cross international borders with only a few dollars, no support system, no plan b?

That said tell them to go to their embassy. As a last resort they are sent home and need to pay the embassy back. (Ususally the embassy assists in having them call relatives and the relatives have to send the money.)

Also this is the makings of many scams. I just need 300 dollars to tide me over, I'll pay you back.... double. I'll write you a check on non existing bank account etc.

Get away from this person because the are desperate. Desperate people take desperate measures. (Theft, robbery, etc.)

No you won't mister cause you don't need to payback someone who never gave in the first place.

If he thought he could get a 4th visa exempt entry, his problem. Do not know anyone who tried it.

Also thought that in emergency Thai immigration would give a 7 day emergency entry.

But bottom line, mai phen rai. I mean he has been in Thailand for 3 or more months, has no one to call to help with an additional few dollars to get a Tourist visa. We are lalking about $25 I think. Loser.

Move along welfare guy. Take it up with another mark.

Guess he can swim across the Mekong after dark. Be a wet back.
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Piece Train View Post
    Tourist visas are good for sixty days, renewable for thirty days. And then you go back, get another tourist visa, good for sixty days, and then again renewable for thirty days at Immigration in Bangkok.
    Exactly, they are not indefinitely renewable.
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Killing Me Softly 101 View Post
    Who would cross international borders with only a few dollars, no support system, no plan b?
    The official regulations say that you need to show 10,000 baht when you cross the border. No one should cross the border without 10,000 baht on hand. If you do then you are playing roulette.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

But you can't

PT can.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Right I did the border hops for 2 years before I now have a work permit. 2 30 days visas and then a tourist visa. As long as you go to an embassy (For me Laos every 90 days you are fine) I have to agree that anyone who's been in Thailand a reasonable while knows this and if they don't they are after a con or just plain stupid. People who can't get back in are probably people who have been blacklisted from Thailand for pissing off someone. There are very few hard luck stories here. People who follow the rules (even if you don't always agree with them) people who are polite and people who don't moan generally have no problems.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    Right I did the border hops for 2 years before I now have a work permit. 2 30 days visas and then a tourist visa. As long as you go to an embassy (For me Laos every 90 days you are fine) I have to agree that anyone who's been in Thailand a reasonable while knows this and if they don't they are after a con or just plain stupid. People who can't get back in are probably people who have been blacklisted from Thailand for pissing off someone. There are very few hard luck stories here. People who follow the rules (even if you don't always agree with them) people who are polite and people who don't moan generally have no problems.
    I couldn't agree more. I was at that border 2 weeks ago and I had no problems at all. I'm sympathetic to the guy's situation but he was pretty stupid not to have some extra cash on him.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Exactly, they are no, they're not indefinitely renewable.
    From a strictly legal perspective yes. At the end of the day it seems like the 180 out of 360 day rule is going to apply.

That being said we all know folks with fifteen back to back 60 day tourist visas.

The advice I've heard from these particular folks is that if you avoid the thirty day exemptions and the 30 day exemption stamps and just get a new visa every two months then your chances of having problems are lessened.

Kinda makes sense to me. Money speaks loudly and if a person if showing a willingness to spend the two thousand baht every sixty days, that might be satisfying some sort of unwritten requirement.

In terms of the individual Scorp is referring to....yea, gosh, I guess it's just one of those situations where some folk need a very steep learning curve to get the message about maintaining backup resources.

Hope it works out for the individual. Not a nice situation to be in.

Bottom line though...If you're in a situation where regular border runs are your routine, avoid getting those thirty day exemptions. No money in it for the powers that be.

Ken should have some broader based thoughts on the issue once he settles back in.
    Last edited by russellsimpson; 6th May 2008 at 10:19.

vCash
    Thanks

Surely there is a functioning cash point in Vientiane? He could've gone to it, whichever bank it is, and withdrawn some money from his Thai bank account. Sod the bank charges, I'd rather pay them than go on the scrounge like some backpacker.

Also, Whitey, I've never heard that rule about carrying 10,000B across the border and I've certainly never been asked to show it by any immigration officer. Is this yet another rule that could suddenly, out of the blue, be enforced by Thai Immigration?
    Our House - The Big Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Road Home - Bangkok to Surat Thani

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Southern Oil Palm and Rubber Plantations:

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    PT can.
    Is that like you're printing up illegal copies of The King Never Smiles in Thailand and distributing them to people like stfranalum who want them?

Exactly, they are not indefinitely renewable.
    The new "visa run" rules Tuesday, 09 January 2007 Be prepared, don't be caught out by the new visa rules

As of the 1st October 2006 new rules regarding the use of the
    30 day visa exemption stamp came into force

The new rules state that the 30 day stamp can only be used back to back for a maximum of 90 days, after which no more will be issued for another 90 days.

This means anyone using the 30 day visa exemption , and therefore doing the visa run every 30 days, to stay long term in Thailand, now need to find another way to stay long term.

It seems so far that a person can leave and enter as many times as they like within that 90 day period, but after 90 days of getting back to back entries using this method, people will be refused another 30 day visa exemption .
    So, what to do ?

The rules only apply to those using the 30 day stamp to stay long term. Anyone who has a visa issued at an embassy or consulate outside of Thailand will not be affected.

So the answer is clear, If you are staying or plan to stay in Thailand long term, or an extended time, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa in your home country before travelling. Tourist visas can easily be obtained in countries neighbouring Thailand, but the consulates seem to be only issuing the single entry type, but for those with no other choice it's a good option.

Discuss this on our forum

The new "visa run" rules - Thaivisa.com

Originally posted by ScorpioPower on the Stopped smoking .... so easy !? sticky:

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpioPower
    I'm still back on the 'orrible weed. :sad:
    Last edited by Piece Train; 6th May 2008 at 11:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsLeedsLeeds View Post
    Also, Whitey, I've never heard that rule about carrying 10,000B across the border and I've certainly never been asked to show it by any immigration officer. Is this yet another rule that could suddenly, out of the blue, be enforced by Thai Immigration?
    You don't pay attention to the signs do you?

Aranyaprathet Immigration
    According to the Interior Ministerial Announcements dated 6 February B.E.2538 (1995), 8 December B.E. 2541 (1998) 1 October B.E. 2545 (2002) and 20 December B.E. 2545 (2002) , passport holders from countries do not require a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes if their stay in the Kingdom does not exceed 30 days. - The applicant must possess instrument of means of living expenses 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family accordingly .
    • 30-day “on arrival” visa: 10,000 baht (20,000 baht for families traveling together);
    • 60 day tourist visa or non-immigrant visa: 20,000 baht (40,000 baht per family);
    Children under 12 are exempted from the requirement.
    They rarely ask for it, but they can do it if they want. It's the regs and they can enforce it at any time. No 10,000 baht, no entry.

If someone was making a border crossing, you'd think that they would make sure they met all of the requirements.

vCash
    Thanks

That's for Aranya Prathet, does the same rule apply at Nong Khai? Or, for that matter, any other Thai border post?

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeedsLeedsLeeds View Post
    That's for Aranya Prathet, does the same rule apply at Nong Khai? Or, for that matter, any other Thai border post?
    Whitey's might be only for Aranya Prathet, but my post is for consulates in general. To keep abreast of the situation, it's best to call Immigration in Bangkok and/or the consulate to which you are intending on visiting. Your girlfriend or wife can do this and provide you with a reliable answer.

Thai Visa Forum also has more reliable visa rules for non-teachers and professionals in other self-selected fields.

Elysian Fields Traveller Array pucky's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Sorry, but if you're a WESTERNER and don't have ACCESS to 10,000 frickin' baht when you're crossing any border, unless, of course, you're in a war-torn country, you're rolling a mighty big die and the house usually wins. No symapthy here.
    "It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -George Carlin

vCash
    Thanks

^ Yes, you're perfectly correct in terms of 'having access to' but carrying it cash to an international border seems rather unnecessary to me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast