--> SEE TEFL
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

So I come back to Thailand with my PGCE/QTS (Qualified Teacher Status in UK) and prob a MEd degree (1/3 from the PGCE as the govt want teachers in UK to get qual to Masters) and....

I can't teach as I need to a stupid course on Thai culture and education! Great one. A simple video would do on do's and don't's would be ok. And all for 35,000 Baht a month job. Apart from international schools (the real ones) what schools in Thailand are willing to pay for qualified teachers?
    There are two types of men in the world. Intelligent men without religion and religious men without intelligence. The third type can't count.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy View Post
    Hi,
    My original scathing diatribe was addressed to STAMP but thank you for your observation. I am semi-retired and decided to return to TEFL after many years. I had no idea what a rat-race it's become. Submitting applications via Serious Teachers or other 'foreign' recruitment agents is a waste of precious life because you are just a great swathe of on-line applications. By pure luck I found a little rural 'poor' school in Thailand and I will be volunteering for three months. They feed me and put me up. No more commercial rat-race, exploitative schools, onerous contracts etc. etc. and it gets me out of the shitty UK for most of the winter. What more could you want?
    Good on you! I`ve had it working in Thailand and I think volunteering is the only teaching I could do there myself. It`s a wonderful country with wonderful people and I hope to retire there someday, but I don`t think I`ll ever work there again, not as a teacher anyhow. Especially with all this bullshit like the Thai cultural course, mismanaged schools, superstitious petty office politics, and what I see as generally ineffective and self-defeating methods of weeding out bad teachers .
    more time for wastin'

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo. View Post
    And all for 35,000 Baht a month job. Apart from international schools (the real ones) what schools in Thailand are willing to pay for qualified teachers?
    I make more than double that figure in an EP. Some schools pay.
    ...you get what you need.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    I make more than double that figure in an EP. Some schools pay.
    Okay, I`ll reconsider Thailand. Where do you work?

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?
    Have airfare home

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kikiat View Post
    I'm in an MEP program without textbooks for health, biology, science, and chemistry.
    I feel for you. You must be a great teacher to bring some knowledge to your students without any books.

So you reckon a 7th period will help? just more of the same garbage, what about changing the quality instead of the quantity?
    In general I do agree with this statement but not in this case, kikiat. You know that at English Programs the students have 15 periods of Thai education and 15 periods of English education. Regular programs have 30 periods of Thai education.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martyboy View Post
    I can understand the Thai Government wanting to get rid of shoddy 'backpacker' types but surely in all reasonableness the acceptable minimum qualificaton should be:
    A TEFL/TESOL certificate from an established academic organization e.g. Cambridge or Trinity College (not some money-making Californian entity with a fancy name)
    So the only legitimate teacher education course must be offered through a UK uni, not a California "entity?" Brits like you are tedious culture colonialists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslevi View Post
    I believe a criminal background check is all that`s necessary for secondary and elementry educations here.
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslevi View Post
    Especially since in most schools, the Thai staff don`t take us seriously as teachers anyhow or listen to our feedback concerning what we feel our students need.
    I'd rather not take myself seriously either. Not all Thai teachers are sheep. Some have complained to me that THEY feel the lack of student critical thinking skills has reached a crisis stage. When they are bold and speak up at teachers' meetings to address this issue, what does the school director do? She announces the school will be buying HER a special van for transport, and that all teachers will get a free school jacket to be worn at special events. Since the school has no resources and only one TV/DVD player combo for 2,000 students, it must pain many Thai teachers (more than me) to toil under such a self-serving director.
    Last edited by Guy Mandude; 8th June 2008 at 10:34. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I'm in an MEP program without textbooks for health, biology, science, and chemistry.
    insane, EP in Pattaya by any chance K?

So you reckon a 7th period will help? just more of the same garbage, what about changing the quality instead of the quantity?
    In a good EP, that seventh period for Thai subjects does help a lot. But it needs to be flexible. some weeks extra time in Thai, other weeks extra time in Math etc. it does work.

That's the excuse they use in my school for the kids not having textbooks in those subjects.
    The books work if you can work together with the Thai staff and know their curriculum. They are spinning it because A: they are lazy and B: they don't want to spend money.

Still got the Blues Array
    vCash
    Thanks

A literacy exam like the CBEST.
    A degree in English, Journalism, Sociology, or Anthropology.
    Transcrips that show a 3.0 GPA or higher.
    A police check.

There you have it, a university prof.

Children: Any university degree, grade-point average above 2.0, 140 police checks.

Caffeinated Member Array matthiasvk's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

What should the minimum requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?
    I have to admit that the level of education in Thailand doesn't match the level of many Western countries.
    But let's be fair, what qualifications do you need if you want to teach in your home country?

As for Thailand, raising the minimum standards/requirements for teachers is a start. I agree that it is not really necessary at this very moment, since the level is relatively low. But in the end, I believe that it might actually lead to a better quality of education in Thailand. However, this doesn't only depend on qualified teachers, there are so many other things involved. Everywhere in this world, to improve, standards are raised, and hardly lowered.
    I guess it's all part of development/evolution...

Xerographic Detournements Array re_fuse's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

vCash
    Thanks

but they did give me a stack of books to use, I have to grab the info from those books and the internet, then I can use a projector (from which the light bulb should have been changed 2-3 years ago lol,) to which the computer is hooked up to and an overhead as well, this is how I show them stuff
    You have a computer connected to an OHP in your room? Sounds like heaven. I got a whiteboard only and must supply my own WB pens and ink.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    You have a computer connected to an OHP in your room? Sounds like heaven.
    I don't think kikiat is talking about a traditional OHP. He's talking about a visualiser, video presenter or what ever name it has. It's a video camera connected to a television or projector.

Great tool to show things that aren't in the text book. Great tool to help your students read and show a butterfly's head on a 2 x 2 metre screen.

Not really a great tool to save on text books. The reasons are already explained by kikiat.
    Last edited by Stamp; 8th June 2008 at 21:11.

vCash
    Thanks

I don't think kikiat is talking about a traditional OHP. He's talking about a visualiser, video presenter or what ever name it has. It's a video camera connected to a television or projector.

Great tool to show things that aren't in the text book. Great tool to help your students read and show a butterfly's head on a 2 x 2 metre screen.
    What I could do with one of those in my classes...(wipes spittle from corner of mouth).

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    (wipes spittle from corner of mouth)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast