SEE TEFL
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81

Thread: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

  1. #46
    ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in my mind
    Posts
    2,524
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    1365

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Guy Mandude, it's a gadget IMO. But damned I want one

  2. #47
    Mexico City Array Guy Mandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,562
    vCash
    666
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 200 Times in 172 Posts


    Rep Power
    46242

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by daneel View Post
    Guy Mandude, it's a gadget IMO. But damned I want one
    My school doesn't even supply a whiteboad marker. I just get excited when I hear that others teachers have apparatus in their rooms.

  3. #48
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bangers
    Posts
    9,325
    vCash
    16975
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    15730

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    After working for a year without books I can say that they are the greatest things in the world. I now use books as I don't work for a run down self important government school and they help so much.
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

  4. #49
    Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NorCal, USA
    Posts
    2,174
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2453

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    A little off topic; so currently, in order to teach in Thailand, you need to show your original diploma (to prove you hold at least a BA), proof you have taken the cultural course (how do you enroll in one? and how much does it cost?), and a criminal background check from your home country to your employer?

    Is this all you need?

    I apologize if I am moving this thread toward another direction. I thought I can confirm here instead of starting a new thread.

    Thanks.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Array Stamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,284
    vCash
    425
    Thanks
    368
    Thanked 402 Times in 311 Posts


    Rep Power
    23264

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    in order to teach in Thailand, you need to show your original diploma (to prove you hold at least a BA), proof you have taken the cultural course
    The requirements wanted by the Teachers' Council of Thailand are here: http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/975202-post1.html (What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?)
    This doesn't mean that all schools apply these requirements.

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    (to prove you hold at least a BA),
    Immigration or Labour have never asked me for my original degree and transcript.

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    proof you have taken the cultural course
    What they want at our Immigration Office is a receipt of a TL application from the TCT or the (temporary) TCT teacher license itself. http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/939629-post5.html (second scan)
    It is reported that many Immigration Offices don't ask for it.

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    (how do you enroll in one? and how much does it cost?)
    Between 6,000 and 8,000 THB http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/977416-post8.html
    Call them for the current prices.

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    and a criminal background check from your home country to your employer?
    I was never asked one but I do have it.

    Hope this helped. Cheers,

    Stamp

  6. #51
    Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,563
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 54 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    10381

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Recommended: either A)Experience or Some Recognized training in Teaching or if working with children, working with children B)Documented successful experience working with children.

    Required: Degree (BA) any subject from a Regionally Approved Institution. (Like Western Assoc. of Schools and Colleges), if working with children a background check either: byPolice, employer, TCT, MOE or a subcontractor approved by one of these: It is real easy in the US. Too much information already exist about everyong.

    The basic report costs only $2.95 from an internet souce like: https://find.intelius.com/people-search-ssn.html
    Verification Services


    Now how HR would use it here is questionable at best. Any good HR department in the states has something like this online as do almost all apartment owners, creditors, etc. They might equate bad debt for $28 five years ago from a mail order house as a terrible offense. Who knows?

    EU probably has something similar. I am sure Canada does too. OZ? NZ? SA? If you can't get it this way, you go to the phone and make a few calls. There really is no excuse to keep employing Offenders in Education with all this out there and then have to deal with the knee jerk reactions that the lack of such a process causes for the rest of the teachers here. That is my opinion and 2 cents worth anyway.

    By the way the above service costs about $50 for one month, $150 a year, maybe $20 for one time use.

    Also I think all people working with children should have a mandatory TB health check every 4 years. Not to fire anyone, just to make sure that schools do not become the major vector of the disease to a population. (Couple it with treatment. Which is usually cheap and effective in early stages.)
    Last edited by Killing Me Softly 101; 15th June 2008 at 02:59. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

  7. #52
    Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NorCal, USA
    Posts
    2,174
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2453

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post

    What they want at our Immigration Office is a receipt of a TL application from the TCT or the (temporary) TCT teacher license itself. http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/939629-post5.html (second scan)
    It is reported that many Immigration Offices don't ask for it.


    Between 6,000 and 8,000 THB http://www.ajarnforum.net/vb/977416-post8.html
    Call them for the current prices.

    Wow, so you do not need to actually take the class, as long as you pay for it!....how Thai is that!!.....LOL. It reminds me of the health check.

    I have taught previously in Thailand for a few years. At the time I was leaving (Jan 2007) they were starting to implement the new requirements. I was curious to know specifically what they were, since I am considering coming back.

    Thanks Stamp and KMS101 for the info.

  8. #53
    Mexico City Array Guy Mandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,562
    vCash
    666
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 200 Times in 172 Posts


    Rep Power
    46242

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream View Post
    After working for a year without books I can say that they are the greatest things in the world. I now use books as I don't work for a run down self important government school and they help so much.
    Cream, I long for books. I don't have books now and that's a problem. The Thai teachers use a text that is too difficult for the students, so that's about as useful to me as tits on a nun. While I don't pay to rent the whiteboard, I do supply my own markers and refill ink. Lord, I wish I had textbooks. And another job to go with the textbooks.

    A great sense of humor is indispensable to working in a Thai govt school. As my school completely doesn't give a shit about paperwork for me, I don't either.

  9. #54
    Senior Member Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bangers
    Posts
    9,325
    vCash
    16975
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts


    Rep Power
    15730

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    I used to enjoy the freedom I had to set my own goals and lessons for the students, but now that I use books geared to student levels its really good. I like to be able to do 50% book 50% of my own stuff, can make stuff more difficult if the unit in the book is too easy etc and vice versa.

    Have a class of 53 tourism development staff on monday though.... still trying to work out what extra stuff I can do with them

  10. #55
    ben
    ben is offline
    Regular User Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    929
    vCash
    300
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    998

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by kikiat View Post
    No markers? do you have to pay rent for using the white board as well?

    The white board would never need cleaning or replacing if I was working there.

    but yea the apparatus stuff compensates pretty good for not having books, but I wouldn't need apparatus if there would be decent books for the kids, good books and a bit of doodling on the board should suffice IMO.
    We should start a debate on that, lol, shold teachers be required to pay rent for whiteboard usage?

    Whoever doesn't get whiteboard markers from there school man should consider moving I reckon, unless the school is just so poor it cannot afford them that is

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    Cream, I long for books. I don't have books now and that's a problem. The Thai teachers use a text that is too difficult for the students, so that's about as useful to me as tits on a nun. While I don't pay to rent the whiteboard, I do supply my own markers and refill ink. Lord, I wish I had textbooks. And another job to go with the textbooks.

    A great sense of humor is indispensable to working in a Thai govt school. As my school completely doesn't give a shit about paperwork for me, I don't either.
    I've got some stuff for you to have man, do you have email, pm me man, i'll send something over you can use, check out Primary Resources - Free teaching resources, lesson plans, teaching ideas & worksheets for primary and elementary teachers for elementary but there is also tonnes of other stuff for various other levels too.

    I also recommend becomming a member at the british council so you can borrow materials from them, it costs 800 per year and they have a fairly substantial library including audio and video resources,

    hope that helps

    ben
    Last edited by ben; 10th June 2008 at 23:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  11. #56
    Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NorCal, USA
    Posts
    2,174
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2453

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    Cream, I long for books. I don't have books now and that's a problem. The Thai teachers use a text that is too difficult for the students, so that's about as useful to me as tits on a nun. While I don't pay to rent the whiteboard, I do supply my own markers and refill ink. Lord, I wish I had textbooks. And another job to go with the textbooks.

    A great sense of humor is indispensable to working in a Thai govt school. As my school completely doesn't give a shit about paperwork for me, I don't either.

    Sounds like you are in the boonies? where are you teaching?

  12. #57
    Mexico City Array Guy Mandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,562
    vCash
    666
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 200 Times in 172 Posts


    Rep Power
    46242

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    Sounds like you are in the boonies? where are you teaching?
    At a central Bangkok govt high school. At this point, I've become philosophical about where I fit into the teaching world. My entire career has revolved around teaching hard-luck cases in possibly the worst schools in America, and now in Bangkok. I enjoy teaching English as content to ESL/EFL students, but my current students just don't have the horsepower or interest. And who can blame them?

    I firmly believe that classroom environment has a huge impact of student motivation and learning. I spent years transforming a US ghetto classroom into something that looked more like a livingroom, and the results were outstanding. Students transferred into my classes until they were at capacity (35). Other teachers asked me to consult with them on improving their classroom aesthetics. Now, I'm in a filthy, decrepit building with no resources. I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of working around the Thai education system (i.e., one hour a week with me) standard for English language instruction, much less the inadequate facilities.

    So I have my sense of humor. That's the most important requirement for me to teaching in my particular school. When that fails me, I'm in trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cream View Post
    Have a class of 53 tourism development staff on monday though.... still trying to work out what extra stuff I can do with them
    Bro, have you checked out D.K. Bookstore. I KNOW they have textbooks specific to tourism English.
    Last edited by Guy Mandude; 11th June 2008 at 01:06. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  13. #58
    Recreational User Array traveler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NorCal, USA
    Posts
    2,174
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Rep Power
    2453

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    At a central Bangkok govt high school. At this point, I've become philosophical about where I fit into the teaching world. My entire career has revolved around teaching hard-luck cases in possibly the worst schools in America, and now in Bangkok. I enjoy teaching English as content to ESL/EFL students, but my current students just don't have the horsepower or interest. And who can blame them?

    I firmly believe that classroom environment has a huge impact of student motivation and learning. I spent years transforming a US ghetto classroom into something that looked more like a livingroom, and the results were outstanding. Students transferred into my classes until they were at capacity (35). Other teachers asked me to consult with them on improving their classroom aesthetics. Now, I'm in a filthy, decrepit building with no resources. I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of working around the Thai education system (i.e., one hour a week with me) standard for English language instruction, much less the inadequate facilities.

    So I have my sense of humor. That's the most important requirement for me to teaching in my particular school. When that fails me, I'm in trouble.
    Sounds like you know what you are doing, Thailand requires an acquired taste and a sense of humor! A sense of humor helps you get through those shitty days. You can't take everything too seriously in LOS.

    Maybe you can have your students help setup your classroom since you are short on time?

  14. #59
    Mexico City Array Guy Mandude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    10,562
    vCash
    666
    Thanks
    81
    Thanked 200 Times in 172 Posts


    Rep Power
    46242

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by traveler2 View Post
    Sounds like you know what you are doing, Thailand requires an acquired taste and a sense of humor! A sense of humor helps you get through those shitty days. You can't take everything too seriously in LOS.

    Maybe you can have your students help setup your classroom since you are short on time?
    I have to adapt. In Thailand, I don't have a classroom as I did in the US where students would come to me. In LOS, I travel to a different classroom every class, so it isn't possible to create a room environment that works for me.

    But you're right about not taking anything too seriously. The Thai teachers tend to be serious whilst I am not. On those days when I lose my sense of humor about this absurdist comedy of an education system, what a black mood sets in.

  15. #60
    Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,563
    vCash
    500
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 54 Times in 36 Posts


    Rep Power
    10381

    Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

    Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Whoever doesn't get whiteboard markers from there school man should consider moving I reckon
    One of my favorite observations in Lao was a local Lao teacher without any supplies except one board, some chalk, outside (because the town was just building a school) students with no supplies learning to write with sticks in the dirt. There were some tent tops (coverings so some shade). It probably doesn't get any more basic than that. And she was doing a good job. Students on task and engaged.

    Myself: If it ain't got an air conditioner, "Thank you very much for your time. Have a good day." and hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spineless Foreign Teachers Extorted, Silenced!
    By panhunger in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 414
    Last Post: 15th June 2008, 01:15
  2. Visa Runs for Teachers Needing Non-B Visas
    By Kerux in forum The Staffroom
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 3rd October 2005, 10:17

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •