--> SEE TEFL
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: What should the requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
    What should the minimum requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?
    All depends on the wages, and the pay ladder.

Without a long-term increase which correlates with accumulated experience, it should be up to the school to hire whoever they want.

If experience can be considered and a teacher is remunerated for it as he/she moves from school to school and you're allowed join a union and enjoy full worker's rights, then the MoE should be allowed dictate the standards, otherwise their teachers' requirments don't count fo' shit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    I have to adapt. In Thailand, I don't have a classroom as I did in the US where students would come to me. In LOS, I travel to a different classroom every class, so it isn't possible to create a room environment that works for me.

But you're right about not taking anything too seriously. The Thai teachers tend to be serious whilst I am not. On those days when I lose my sense of humor about this absurdist comedy of an education system, what a black mood sets in.
    You're dead right about class environment. my class is covered from head to toe in information, kids work, interactive displays. the fist thing i demanded before working was my own classroom. kids come in before school reading the information, reading the books, playing with the interactive stuff. White walls put kids to sleep. work on the wall gives kids pride and motivates others to achieve the level. i sometimes think that teachers wander around the different classes just so they can waste 10 minutes getting there. certainly keeping kids copped up in classrooms waiting for the teacher causes more problems for me. since every teacher got their classroom, loads of displays have gone up in all subjects. Kids are rarely late and if they're quick they can get a drink and a toliet break in between lessons and never go in class.

ben
    Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Killing Me Softly 101 View Post
    One of my favorite observations in Lao was a local Lao teacher without any supplies except one board, some chalk, outside (because the town was just building a school) students with no supplies learning to write with sticks in the dirt. There were some tent tops (coverings so some shade). It probably doesn't get any more basic than that. And she was doing a good job. Students on task and engaged.

Myself: If it ain't got an air conditioner, "Thank you very much for your time. Have a good day." and hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out.

Learning to write with sticks in the dirt, it sounds like a dreadful place to work hey.

Exiled Liberal Array Killing Me Softly 101's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Learning to write with sticks in the dirt, it sounds like a dreadful place to work hey.
    Actually using sand trays is used by some K and 1st grade teachers so that the kids who are Kinesthetic Learners get it.

As I pointed out the village was building a school. I did not get the whole story as I was in the area looking at a project that involved reforestation and sustainable development; but as I said the school was being built. So the government sent a teacher to the village and the school wasn't quite completed so she started it outside rather than wait for the building. It was not a permanent situation. The final shool would be the kind that are common in rural areas all over south east asia with concret floor. Concrete sides up to about 2 feet and they mostly open at the top with a room. When completed it would have chalkboard in front. I do not remember if this village had electricity.

Just was amazed that this teacher (mid thirties) just went with it. No problem. Kids got to learn how to read. And Lao teachers make about a dollar a day. Now that is dedication! Puts a little perspective on the issue.

It was not the International School where I worked with Mac computers, Class Size maximums of 25 ( I had 19), teachers salaries on an international level etc.

Cheers.
    If you want to challenge the world's most powerful factions, you're going to get attacked in all sorts of ways. That's the nature - the essence - of power: it is capable of exacting a cost for defying it.--Glenn Greenwald

ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I used to teach with sticks and dirt while I was a volunteer in the boonies, no boards, no classes. It's actually fun to do mate.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peelieorion View Post
    You're dead right about class environment. my class is covered from head to toe in information, kids work, interactive displays. the fist thing i demanded before working was my own classroom. kids come in before school reading the information, reading the books, playing with the interactive stuff. White walls put kids to sleep. work on the wall gives kids pride and motivates others to achieve the level.
    You demanded your own classroom and got it? You must have quite a bit of power where you work.

I used to have my own classroom in the US. I used to post student work. I didn't have the walls covered with information, but the environment was more like a living room than a classroom. The results I achieved were astounding. At my current school, I once posted some student work on a corridor bulletin board. Within three days, someone removed the student work and placed it in a neat pile on my desk.

I think it's important that students see their work displayed. This business where teachers roam and students sit in rooms with empty walls is for the birds. But a lot of what Thais do for public education is for the birds, and the poor to non-existent critical thinking skills of Thai students is a testament to Thai education (an oxymoron, isn't it?).

ben
    Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daneel View Post
    I used to teach with sticks and dirt while I was a volunteer in the boonies, no boards, no classes. It's actually fun to do mate.
    I heard a story from a fillipino teacher once, not a very good one but nevertheless a teacher who was teaching out in si saket, he mentioned eating ants for nourishment at one point.

It made my place of work sound beautiful in comparison.

regards

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mandude View Post
    Within three days, someone removed the student work and placed it in a neat pile on my desk.
    At my old school we made big posters about jobs etc, some really good work. I went out n bought a few rolls of double sided tape n let them stick their posters on the walls, helped cover the horrid dirty whiteness. Next lesson a week later and all the posters had been taken down... fucking pathetic school it was.
    Daniel Bedingfield claimed that his new album is what it would sound like if Sting, Stevie Wonder and Micheal Jackson were in a basement together - I haven't got the album so I'll have to imagine the sound of a blind bloke and a Geordie kicking the shit out of a pedophile.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I heard a story from a fillipino teacher once, not a very good one but nevertheless a teacher who was teaching out in si saket, he mentioned eating ants for nourishment at one point.

It made my place of work sound beautiful in comparison.

regards
    My kids had beetles as pets, we gave them all names and then I found out they were snacks so I taught them to say "yummie" whenever they had one. Ant eggs are common and when they were in season we couldn't start the class until they had their snack. Good fun, but after a year and a half I got sick and tired of seeing buffaloes passing my door and having to go everywhere by tractor as there weren't any real roads left (it was K. Leekpai's gift to Isan.)

ben
    Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

guess it's an experience for sure

vCash
    Thanks

It was an experience but not the one you might want. I do see Peelerion's point of view and his drive to want to make things better because I was in the same area. It is a shame to see great people who have lost their belief in themselves, their pride and their belief in being able to achieve something.

Back to topic.

I think Robbi makes sense in saying that we can talk about requirements whatever we like. If the working conditions don't improve they can never be met.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cream View Post
    At my old school we made big posters about jobs etc, some really good work. I went out n bought a few rolls of double sided tape n let them stick their posters on the walls, helped cover the horrid dirty whiteness. Next lesson a week later and all the posters had been taken down... fucking pathetic school it was.
    True - fucking pathetic. It's as if the only allowable materials for display are images of and dedicated to the monarch.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My trick is to buy those future boards and stick all the work on them. Punch a couple of holes in the future boards and bang a couple of nails in the wall and put it up. If someone took it down i'd put it up again. In shitty schools here you have to be a bit of an arsehole and perserver. If not you end up miserable. Keep trying.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

abac vs Ramkhamhaeng University

Hi there

Anyone knows anything about the differences in quality with regards to these universities/?
    I am in hold of a B ed and now contemplating about whether or not I should enroll in the teaching graduate diploma. Would it be add something new?
    Does anyone have done this course?? If so what uni would you recommend??

thx

quote=Stamp;975202]We all are aware of the current requirements the Teachers’ Council of Thailand has set for foreign teachers working in primary and secondary education. Most, if not all members disagree with the current requirements. This can be read in the many posts related to the Culture course and the TCT tests.

The current requirements for ALL teachers are:

• -An education degree or equivalent
    • -Certificate of the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.
    What do our members think? What should the minimum requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

This is what I think:

• Grade 1 – Grade 6, Conversational English
      • High School + a TEFL/TESOL Certificate
    • Grade 7 – Grade 12, Conversational English
      • Degree in any field + TEFL/TESOL Certificate
    • Grade 1 – Grade 12, English Program
      • Education Degree or equivalent
    All teachers with teaching experience in Thailand less than one year should do an in-school paid-by-the-school Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.

Please share your opinion?

Stamp[/quote]

Hi there

Anyone knows anything about the differences in quality with regards to these universities/?
    I am in hold of a B ed and now contemplating about whether or not I should enroll in the teaching graduate diploma. Would it be add something new?

thx
    Last edited by ralfboot; 16th September 2008 at 03:10. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: abac vs Ramkhamhaeng University

Quote Originally Posted by ralfboot View Post
    Hi there

thx

quote=Stamp;975202]We all are aware of the current requirements the Teachers’ Council of Thailand has set for foreign teachers working in primary and secondary education. Most, if not all members disagree with the current requirements. This can be read in the many posts related to the Culture course and the TCT tests.

The current requirements for ALL teachers are:

• -An education degree or equivalent
    • -Certificate of the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.
    What do our members think? What should the minimum requirements be for foreign teachers in Thailand?

This is what I think:

• Grade 1 – Grade 6, Conversational English
      • High School + a TEFL/TESOL Certificate
    • Grade 7 – Grade 12, Conversational English
      • Degree in any field + TEFL/TESOL Certificate
    • Grade 1 – Grade 12, English Program
      • Education Degree or equivalent
    All teachers with teaching experience in Thailand less than one year should do an in-school paid-by-the-school Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.

Please share your opinion?

Stamp
    Hi there

thx[/QUOTE]

If you already have a BEd you don't need to do either course. It would be a waste of money and I doubt you'd learn anything you didn;t already learn in your own course.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast