--> SEE TEFL

Thread: Wife's US Visa??

vCash
    Thanks

Wife's US Visa??

I am just wanting to hear from others who have already gone through the process of applying for their wife's US immigration visa. I've already filed the I-130 petition along with the required documents and fee and have just received an e-mail reply from the USCIS office in BKK that the form was approved and the visa package is in the mail.I understand that the next step is an interview followed by more paperwork and fees.

I am already intent on moving back to the states possibly around end of April early May. What is the likelihood that this will all be completed by then? And most importantly, what are the chances that she will be approved for a visa? We are married and have a one and a half year old son who has both an American/Thai passport and birth certificate. I can't imagine that she would not be approved considering our circumstances.

As an English teacher in Thailand my salary and savings are fairly modest and I do own a home in the great state of Kansas. Will my income play into a decision as to whether to approve her for a visa?

I would like to purchase a ticket and start making plans but everything depends on when and if she gets her visa.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Wife's US Visa??

Make the reservation and just delay ticketing as long as you can. Should be fine.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Have you asked the consular section at the Embassy? I've found them to be pretty honest and upfront. At least, here in Kuwait, they are.

Established User Array irishntg's Avatar
    Somewhere between Siam supa and Kiatpetch
    vCash
    Thanks

Should not be a problem i would say, does youre wife have a job or a university degree??, If she has either of those book youre flights, unless you are a convicted felon there will be no problem,

Having a kid and any of the above is more or less a shoe in.

Irish.

Good luck in Kansas.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gusto View Post
    As an English teacher in Thailand my salary and savings are fairly modest and I do own a home in the great state of Kansas. Will my income play into a decision as to whether to approve her for a visa?
    One big thing is to prove your domicile is in the US. With your house this shouldnt be a problem. That was the only hitch when we did the immigrant visa, he didnt think i had a domicile in the US, and he was right. Another thing is that you need or she needs to have a job in the US, or have enough money in the bank to prove she wont be a burden to the GVT. that is 2 times the poverty line in kansas. Get everything done in a timely manner, send it in and get your appointment time. then buy your tickets after the visa is done.

Quote Originally Posted by gusto View Post
    I understand that the next step is an interview followed by more paperwork and fees.
    The interview was the last process for us. Then he gave my wife her visa. The new packet will have med forms , police forms, affadavit of support forms, all sorts of good stuff.
    Last edited by Aquaman; 23rd December 2009 at 18:55. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I've got to pick myself up Dust myself off And start all over again.
    -Peter Tosh

vCash
    Thanks

not to side track a damn good thread. My wife has had a year visa used. A ten year visa used 5 times times. And a new ten year visa never used issued a year and a half ago. I got it for her as I was taking the kids to the states by myself and it would give her peace of mind to know she could come asap if something happened.

What would be the repercussions if we went home say in a year in a half on the tourist visa, found a house, bought it, got a nice job, could show income from Thailand and the wife wants to stay? I really would like to know. I as the kids are American, she has been there what 6 times three since the kids were born. Sort of like a premeditated spontaneous decision?

vCash
    Thanks

I think it is frowned upon entering on a tourist visa then staying. That said, i'm sure its done all the time. In doing that there is a chance you get a prick of an immigration officer and your wife is never allowed to enter the US again. Or she may get picked up on something and spend time in one of those makeshift immigration prisons, and then deported. Just giving worst case scenarios. In our case i wouldnt want to risk any seperation between our family. I'll be back, need to take wife and daughter to yoga.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    That said, i'm sure its done all the time. In doing that there is a chance you get a prick of an immigration officer and your wife is never allowed to enter the US again. Or she may get picked up on something and spend time in one of those makeshift immigration prisons, and then deported. Just giving worst case scenarios. In our case i wouldnt want to risk any seperation between our family. I'll be back, need to take wife and daughter to yoga.
    I will be in bed, trying to sleep. Damn Mr. Hitchcock!!! Perhaps I will start to recalculate. Fruit me.

vCash
    Thanks

In my experience it is good to do things by the book here in the US. Not trying to freak you out, you just have a lot to lose if things don't go as planned.

Established User Array irishntg's Avatar
    Somewhere between Siam supa and Kiatpetch
    vCash
    Thanks

AO two personal experiences,

The first one is from my cousin who is originally from Ireland, he emigrated from Ireland in 2002 too Boston, In 2004 after a one night stand the product of which came 2 beautiful twin boys Jack and James, fast forward to 2009 after 4 years living in the same house as the mother of his sons they decided to try and get Kieran Legal by Marrying, so they had a civial ceremony and cutting it short they applied for Residency,

Last month he receved his permit to reside in the States, His social Number and now he has his Massachusetts Drivers License,

The second one is the same situation but there were no children involed in the process, but again the process was painless, the authorities just waned too make sure the marriage was not bogus, and again my friend got his papers,

So my point being i personnally know 7 Irish lads have had been illegal immigrants for 5+ years who then became legal through marriage.

So im guessing the fact you are youre wife are married a long time have two kids etc will own a home in the States if you make the move, should not be a problem but as Aquaman said you may have problems.

Goodluck
    Irish.