--> SEE TEFL

Thread: Do you need a TEFL to get Work Permit/Non Imm Visa at a school?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Do you need a TEFL to get Work Permit/Non Imm Visa at a school?

I do not have a Tefl cert but I have 2 years experience in teaching esl. (Just saying this to avoid people replying to the post that I am not qualified and should be teaching anyway )

Can a school give me a work permit and visa even though I do not have a tefl cert? Is it an absolute requirement?

vCash
    Thanks

TEFL - no, bachelors degree - yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If you can't say something nice about someone, shut the f*k up
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nbuff View Post

I do not have a Tefl cert but I have 2 years experience in teaching esl. (Just saying this to avoid people replying to the post that I am not qualified and should be teaching anyway )

Can a school give me a work permit and visa even though I do not have a tefl cert? Is it an absolute requirement?
    A TEFL/TESOL/TESL cert is NOT required for the non-b nor is it required for a work permit or provisional teacher's licence.

You DO need a degree from a legitimate university (life degrees/degrees from diploma mills don't cut it) AND either
    a) a passport from one of: UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, NZ or Australia
    b) a TOEIC score over 600

If you lack either a degree or a "correct passport"/TOEIC score then a non-b and work permit are not likely to be in your immediate future.

Work on a tourist visa if you must. Do NOT use fake documents (visa fraud can get you in serious trouble and Thailand is not a place you want to see from the inside of a jail cell).

Contributor Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You really should just save that one somewhere, ttom.

Senior Member Array Getorfmoiland's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I thought Ireland had been removed because it's not on the UKBA list.
    "Always forgive your enemies -- Nothing annoys them so much !"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Getorfmoiland For This Useful Post:

vCash
    Thanks

http://www.ksp.or.th/Khurusapha/en/u...equirement.pdf
    See #4 -

Khurusapha says,

Requirement for Issuance of a Teaching Permit to Foreign Teachers Without the License

1.Must not be less than 20 years of age.

2.Hold a Bachelor’s degree which benefits education, and it must be certified by either the Teachers’ Council of Thailand (TCT) or the Teacher Civil Service and Educational Personnel Commission (TEPC) or the Civil Service Commission (CSC) or shown in the list at The World of ALMANAC (the applicant may check your degree certification at Khurusapha by selecting“professional license section, foreign teacher’s qualification check” or at the website of TEPC or CSC).

3.Having specific skills, abilities and knowledge needed for foreign teachers in the teaching and learning of foreign language curriculum.

4.TOEIC certified score report (except those who come from a native-English speaking countries: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ireland, The United States of America, Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand and Canada) or passing score on the other foreign language proficiency test."

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Correct, you do not need a TEFL certificate to get a teaching licence, but you do need a job first before you can apply for the licence and most recruiters/schools will expect to see a TEFL cert (not an online one) unless you are a qualified and experienced teacher previously. I would advocate taking a 4-week course before entering the classroom if you've never taught before, it makes a lot of difference to your classroom management and general ease of teaching, prepping lessons.

As to the teacher licence, if you are a national of one of the following; The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Ireland, The United States of America, Australia, New Zealand or Canada, and have a degree (any) with no criminal record and over 20 you can usually qualify for a temporary teachers' licence (good for at least 2 years). If you have a degree but are not from these countries (e.g. South Africa) you should take a TOEIC test and get a score of 600+. If you have no degree you will have to sit the TCT examinations (a week's worth of 'swotting up'), but only offered at selected times of the year.