Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting pregnant at near 40

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

getting pregnant at near 40

As I don't post often here, I just took a look at the posts I have made and realized you all think I am a "he". Not so, I am a she, and faced with a difficult "she" problem. I am now approaching 40, and for the first time in my life considering getting pregnant. I've been in a great marriage for 5 years, but previously dismissed the idea of having children of my own because I work with them all day, and enjoy the solitude when I get home. However, for the last 6 months or so, I have been having second thoughts, and feeling that maternal itch when I see babies, and find myself thinking about what an amazing experience it must be to be pregnant, give birth, and raise a child. I meet the parents of my students often, and have heard some moms saying "having children is the best thing that could happen to you.. if you don't do it, you'll regret it for the rest of your life..", and others "if you're not really sure, don't do it, because it will change your life more than you know". I know that ultimately this decision is deeply personal, but I also worry about health concerns, and how safe it is to go through a 1st pregnancy at almost 40. If anyone has any information or advice re: pregnancy at 40, I really would appreciate it! Thanks all![/i]

Guest Array
    vCash
    Thanks

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/pregnancy_35_40.html

btw, have you and your husband considered adopting a thai child?

best wishes :smile:

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Good luck, and I'd suggest that you not be overly concerned, for example, about Down's Syndrome. I last impregnated my wife (after 7 previous times, including the miscarriages) when she was age 38. We discovered that paternal twins are more common than Down's at that age. Seven years later, thanks to a 2nd/3rd husband I call "Twelvis," she conceived and delivered a 7th baby, this time a single. No problems, except the last time, due to her being overweight, she developed gestational diabetes, just temporarily. My ex-wife was the 7th child born alive to her mother, at the age of 43. So, there's a 17 year old boy in Texas with a dead grandfather born in 1894.

My wife's parents were already grandparents when she was born, and they looked and acted more like g-parents. I married her when her father was 70. I think that's the major disadvantages of having a child in your late 30's.

If you want a child, I think you should try to have one. Or as ray recommends, consider adopting a needy Thai child. Best of luck to you both.

Note to readers: if you want to kid me about "Twelvis," do it by PM. Let's respect this lady's situation, okay, gentlemen?
    "The times I've been mistaken, it's impossible to say" - by the Moody Blues

I Vill Break You Array Benedict XVI's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

T

R

O

Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.

Benjamin Franklin

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict XVI
    T

R

O

...i was thinking the same thing...who comes to a thai teaching forum with their pregnancy concerns...if you're not a troll good luck...
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

I Vill Break You Array Benedict XVI's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

And I love the usermame "waterlogged!"

mig
    vCash
    Thanks

I have worked with people who have disabilities for many years and I know that the chances of having a child with Down’s Syndrome go up by about 30% when a woman reaches 35 years old. My partner is getting to the same age as you – she’s got three kids and she’s a grandma! I’ve never had children and kind of like the idea as it’s one of life’s major experiences. But I know I like to work with kids who have disabilities but at the end of the day I can go home and leave them with their parents.
    Bark like a Donkey!

Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

And so it starts again! does anyone know waterlogged?
    maybe the mods should change the title of the page to ajarn forum for men only, women enter at your own risk!!
    could well be a troll based on post contents, however if someone posts about an STD they picked up from a street hooker no one bats an eye lid.
    godd luck if its a troll or a woman!!
    Those that want to read whatever they can want all freedoms, but have to understand they can have freedom, but it must be within the law.

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

plenty of information on this topic.........

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Classic-Chassis
    if someone posts about an STD they picked up from a street hooker no one bats an eye lid.
    Technically not true. The person with the STD will sometimes experience involuntary eyelid-batting.

Senior Member Array Classic-Chassis's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

that wont be the only eye batting either

vCash
    Thanks

My wife gave birth to paternal twins at the age of 38. We could not have the downs tests as they were twins. They are healthy we are healthy, but the wife is slowing down at 45 and the kids are only 8 so keep that in mind. Kids can run really fast and like to run all the time. Can you keep up with them?
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

questions re: pregnancy

Just read through the replies,and I apologize (not really!) to those of you who felt I inappropriately posted,and may be a troll. Occasionaly I catch a breath of good advise on this board, so thanks to you who gave me some. I think I'll take the rest of my questions and concerns to a doctor, as I have decided I do want to have a child. I realize this is not really the best place for advice, I just hoped for some personal experience from people that had gone through a pregnancy at 40.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: questions re: pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by waterlogged
    I just hoped for some personal experience from people that had gone through a pregnancy at 40.
    What's your connection to teaching and/or Thailand, anyway?

vCash
    Thanks

You got what you asked for didnt you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast