Thread: VERY important!! Single parent travel to Thailand

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

VERY important!! Single parent travel to Thailand

Hi everyone!

I am traveling to Thailand on July 18 with my son. I am remarried, but my son is from a previous marriage and has a different last name than mine. His father sent a notarized letter saying that our son could travel with me to Thailand. I sent it in with his passport (per law) with a request that they send it back to me. They, of course, did not. On top of that, my ex-husband, for some odd reason, listed our son's last name incorrectly (long story short, he listed it as his own step-father's last name accidentally because unofficially my ex-husband has always used his step-father's last name), so they probably would not have used that anyway. I was amazed they even used it for the passport... My son has been issued both his passport and visa with no problems...

Anyway, does anyone know if travel to Thailand via Los Angeles and Narita is going to give me any issues traveling as a single parent without documentation from the other parent? I sent my ex-husband and his girlfriend and urgent email asking if they could send a new letter, but I can't get ahold of them in person as their phone has been disconnected (ARGH!). They don't always check their email regularly either, so now I am getting very worried. I have tried to check with officials, but can't get anyone on the phone who seems to know...

BTW, I am travelling American Airlines to Narita and All Nippon from Narita to BKK.

ACK! Edited to add- I finally found it on the American Airlines site that it looks like I do have to have this documentation. Well, this will be an adventure.

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

How old is your son?
    What is your nationality and that of your son?

I can't see that it's going to be a real problem. But more expert advice should be along soon.

Good luck....I know, this kind of uncertainty kind of takes the fun out of the flight.
    If you're not disembarking at narita, the Japanese aren't going to be concerned one way or the other. I think your okay. :smile:
    When being run out of town, get in front of the crowd and make it appear like a parade.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

My son is 11 and we are American. It's going to be an issue, apparently, but I have some tricks up my sleeve to hurry my ex-husband up. LOL! My main problem is just getting in touch with him!!

Senior Member Array russellsimpson's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I think a lot of the regulations are drawn up to combat the international illegal international adoption racket.

American, son 11....I seriously doubt you will have any problem.

Have a safe flight.

vCash
    Thanks

"tricks up my sleeve"

wow

stay away from this one
    "A man has got to know his limitations."

Harry Callahan

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Haha! No! Not like that! He owes me a fortune in old medical bills for our son (from a previous surgery). If I knock off a few bucks from the debt, he usually acts a little more quickly. He's a bit of a kid, even in his old age. Money talks, he listens.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: VERY important!! Single parent travel to Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by LearninGirl

Anyway, does anyone know if travel to Thailand via Los Angeles and Narita is going to give me any issues traveling as a single parent without documentation from the other parent? I sent my ex-husband and his girlfriend and urgent email asking if they could send a new letter, but I can't get ahold of them in person as their phone has been disconnected (ARGH!). They don't always check their email regularly either, so now I am getting very worried. I have tried to check with officials, but can't get anyone on the phone who seems to know...

BTW, I am travelling American Airlines to Narita and All Nippon from Narita to BKK.

ACK! Edited to add- I finally found it on the American Airlines site that it looks like I do have to have this documentation. Well, this will be an adventure.
    Should you be travelling without the fathers permission? Is that ethical even if it is possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

No, I would NOT be traveling without his father's permission. If you read my post again, you will see he has given me permission. He just put my son's last name incorrectly on the notarized letter. Now I can't get ahold of him to correct it because his phone is disconnected. But, if I can get ahold of him, I will bribe him with a decrease on money he owes me to do it quickly so we can leave next week. HOWEVER, when I look at all that irresponsibility on his part, ethically, I don't think it would be an issue for me to travel without his permission. LOL! I'm just kidding. But seriously, we get along fine and I would never take our son out of the country without his permission. I just need to get ahold of him so that he can send me a CORRECT notarized letter. You know- one with our son's legal name.

vCash
    Thanks

You should be okay. Try your best to get that letter, but if you dont just take off, you biggest problem will be leaving the USA. You will be in transit at Narita. So the next problem will be BKK, there should be no problems there. My wife has a diferent last name to my kids. My kids look western but are half Thai. They carry my last name. The wife hasnt had a problem with travellling alone with the kids. She has even done it with the kids on a USA passport, and her on a Thai.

Good luck.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

El Jefe Array
    vCash
    Thanks

It's not a problem at all. As aging one said, the biggest problem is leaving the US. For what its worth, I have traveled extensively with just my son in tow(Thailand to Philippines, Philippines to US, US to Korea, Korea to Thailand, US to Mexico, Mexico to US, and countless land crossings.) and have never needed anything more than his passport. You have a notarized letter so you will have NO problems at all. Since you are traveling with a different name, I might suggest that you carry his birth certificate when you travel in case they want to know if you really are his mother.
    Are you actually reading this? Do you think I care?

vCash
    Thanks

Do you think this is just an American issue??? As I have moved to Thailand with my daughter and have no documentation from the Father... would be a bit difficult as I don't know where he is... and have had no problems. I'm a kiwi.