Thread: Does your kid eat bugs?

vCash
    Thanks

Does your kid eat bugs?

I was wondering what people think about this. this morning i came down and my wife daughter and a few other family members were enjoying a meal of tamarind, sticky rice and red ant eggs. the adults were eating in a sort of salad but they had pullled several eggs out and layed them out neatly next to the small sticky rice balls my daughter enjoys. so my daughter was munching away on these things, chiming outthe occasional "sap" as she did. i guess there is no harm in it. my wife also picks all the hard bits off of grasshoppers and they eat those as well. my daughter really likes bugs!

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Does your kid eat bugs?

No, but my wife is from Kanchanburi and never ate the things. We joke our maid from Yasothon as she grew up on them and loves them. Hell what you gonna do if thats all ya got to eat and people tell you its delicious.

Do a test AQ make her up a great cheeseburger, then let her choose. I sure hope she takes the burger.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman
    I was wondering what people think about this. this morning i came down and my wife daughter and a few other family members were enjoying a meal of tamarind, sticky rice and red ant eggs. the adults were eating in a sort of salad but they had pullled several eggs out and layed them out neatly next to the small sticky rice balls my daughter enjoys. so my daughter was munching away on these things, chiming outthe occasional "sap" as she did. i guess there is no harm in it. my wife also picks all the hard bits off of grasshoppers and they eat those as well. my daughter really likes bugs!
    Just thought how cool for the kid when back in UK/USA or wherever. "hey fancy a snack?" as she pulls out fried bugs as the other kids look in amazement. They are nutritious! Same as eating prawns

Its like eating dog meat. Koreans think ok. Westerners think cruel. But same as eating cows

vCash
    Thanks

Let me tell you my kids pulled out a bag of that Taro fish sticks and opened it while we were in a van with other kids going to Golden Gate Park. The other kids about died and demanded that the things be thrown out of the car because of the stink.

We wont be taking Thai snacks other than mama to the states this time.

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

not my wife but i saw them eating catepillars and worms

vCash
    Thanks

When my wife was younger they didnt have too much to choose from, so bugs and things like that where part of her diet. so now our family has the means to eat other foods, but people still go out and collect things during the day and bring em home and eat them for lunch or dinner into breaky. my kid certainy isnt eating bugs cause its all we got, i mean i only make 25 grand amonth but can afford to put a little more on the table. AO my daughter is only about a year 8 months, she likes burgers but is more into bite size morsels. if i did the pepsi challenge with any eggs or a big burger, i think she would go for the eggs, my wife would go for the burger as would i. they are downstairs now having the second lunch of those funky shells out of the fresh water. my kid isnt too fussy, from the oriental to road side moo haan, a very worldy child. wish i had a multicultural upbringing!

vCash
    Thanks

Actually, the bugs and such aren't that bad and they're very high in protein. Grasshoppers taste like popcorn, grubs taste a little nutty and the frogs taste like bacon. Haven't tried the water beetles though-- look too much like roaches. Kids don't start out with the cultural food aversions that we adults have-- they learn them.
    Last edited by pumpuiyai; 25th February 2007 at 13:05. Reason: can't tipe

vCash
    Thanks

My kids love the meal worms and grasshoppers, nobody will touch the cockroaches though ha ha

Blah! Blah! Blah! Array kenkannif's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

I think they're quite high in protein and probably better for you than a lot of the sugary shit you get.

Riddle me this brother can you handle it
    Your style to my style you can't hold a candle to it
    Equinox symmetry and the balance is right
    Smokin' and drinkin' on a Tuesday night
    It's not how you play the game it's how you win it
    I cheat and steal and sin and I'm a cynic

vCash
    Thanks

I'm not too worried, as you say it least they are not covered in sugar like everything else here...

vCash
    Thanks

Ours just started on solids and bugs weren't mentioned in our baby nutrition book. She seems to enjoy her food though so I'm sure the grass and bugs will come in time.
    "Come and take me, mongrels - if you dare. While I have fingers to grasp a sword, and eyes to see your cowardly faces, your treacherous heads will not be safe on your shoulders."