Thread: Siam Ocean world

vCash
    Thanks

Siam Ocean world

I was wondering if this place was worth the expense, with three children the trip will add up to well over 1000bht just to get in. Has anyone been? What's the scoop?

Thanks,

. Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Re: Siam Ocean world

Your kids would probably enjoy it, but it's not really that impressive compared to other marine parks. It is a bit pricey for what you get, but it has the advantage of being easy to reach and close to food and toilets (important on an outing with kids, as you know).
    - Reg

vCash
    Thanks

i'm going in a few weeks, can't wait! love aquariums.

i think it'll be worth a look clarer, as reg said, the kids will love it i'm sure. it does seem a bit pricey but for a world-class aquarium (the biggest in s.e.asia), it's not really that much is it...over 1000...that's over 12 quid...not sure in $

there's a thread on it somewhere isn't there, i'll try to dig it up...
    -----
    ah, here it be...

http://ajarnforum.net/vb/showthread....light=aquarium
    Last edited by Unwell; 22nd March 2007 at 07:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

vCash
    Thanks

I dont think it could be considered a world rate aquarium. Its nice, but if you have been to a major aquarium you will be let down. But it is a fine place, but I doubt many would buy yearly memberships, as I used to have at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Great for one time, and easy to get to, as well as child friendly as stated above. They have some kind of special on now. But its in Thai does have 200 baht written on it though. Might be worth a phone call before you go.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Interesting. I wondered just how big it was being in the bottom of the mall. Monterey Aquarium is awesome and I'm sure this won't stand up to that. I know in the scheme of things 12 quid isn't a lot, and it would cost double that in the UK, but here in LOS that's a lot of chump change. Still I think the kids will enjoy it and it's a day out of the searing heat.

Thanks for the feedback guys..

vCash
    Thanks

If thats them in the avatar they are gonna love it. But put away another grand or so for lunch and ice cream, if you are going to do it. Do it.

vCash
    Thanks

Yep that's them. I usually eat at home then head out at noon....but they'll definitely want ice creams.

On a different note, has anyone been to Fantasia Island, we've been to Ngam Wang Wan, but I believe there is another version, has anyone checked out that water park out?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Clarer check out the yearly membership, might be almost as cheap to get that and then have repeat visits.

vCash
    Thanks

We went today, it was beautifully done, the kids had a great time. My only quibble is that the signs for the exhibits don't say where they are from.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by clarer
    I wondered just how big it was being in the bottom of the mall.
    biggest in s.e. asia...

I'm sure this won't stand up to that.
    it won't...

I know in the scheme of things 12 quid isn't a lot, and it would cost double that in the UK, but here in LOS that's a lot of chump change.
    sure...

Still I think the kids will enjoy it and it's a day out of the searing heat.
    have a great time!

vCash
    Thanks

We went today, it was beautifully done, the kids had a great time. My only quibble is that the signs for the exhibits don't say where they are from.
    Yes, they aren't all really from Thailand Just don't tell the locals
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

vCash
    Thanks

Hey, I just wanted to talk for a few moments about my time spent at the Siam Under Water World, I think that’s what its called anyway, it lies under the Paragon.
    My wife, daughter and I have been in Bangkok for about a week now and the little one is growing very wrestless inside my sister-in-laws apt. I’ve been out doing things in regards to visas and travel arrangements so haven’t been around much during the day. When I am in, my kid is like a little lunatic in a small cage. It’s hard for us to go anywhere, as we aren’t close to the BTS or MRT. Anyway, we went to the Dusit zoo the other day and had quite a nice time. It was a great getaway even though I got called away as soon as we got to the primate/tiger section. The wife and kid continued the journey and were tired in the evening.
    Today was a different story all together at the under water world. After enjoying lunch at the paragon we headed down there. At the admission of 450 baht per adult and 280 for my kid, I was maybe expecting a free keychain or inflatable hammer but didn’t get either. What we got would be considered third rate in any other place.
    My complaints are many, and I don’t mean to be negative but this is more to inform those with kids that they might want to stay away, or just gaze at the aquariums in the food court upstairs, they appear cleaner. First 85% of the tanks are above the eye level of a small child, so you need to pick them up every two seconds and walking around for them, it's quite dark. The water in the tanks looks murky as well. As you wind your way around the place you will be hit with a snack bar every 30 meters selling all sorts of crap that your kid is sure to recognize and want. They have a window at eye level of a two year old with a Pepsi and box of popcorn on display, two bad they didn’t have the same for the clown fish exhibit.
    As in most places in Thailand the smells are everywhere and varied, some good, some bad. The smells here went from moldy, mildewed, to flat out like someone had defecated on the floor. Might have been the mix of cotton candy and popcorn at every snack bar.
    Toward the end of the journey there is a rainforest exhibit with fake vegetation and the usual crony feeding the fish while speaking horrible English using terms like “same same” and calling the patrons of under water world “customers”. This was terrifying enough for me but as we rounded the corner my young daughter was terrified of creepy dinosaurs peering out of the brush, a fanged gorilla, and terradactyl flying overhead. She was choking me saying “gua gua” and panting heavily as to say “nice try dad lets get the fuck out of here”
    It was all a disappointment, plastic toys in the tanks, lame explanations of the fish, a horrible jellyfish section, and to top it all off at the exit, the only way out is through a gift shop! You are up an escalator and your child is plopped into a world of stuffed animals, inflatable octopuses, everything you could imagine. Luckily I had gotten there first and intercepted my wife on the escalator telling her to throw the canvas sack over my daughter’s head we keep handy in times like these. So we got thru there unscathed and emerged into the light of the Paragon, another aquarium that was much more interesting and attractive than the one below.
    I've got to pick myself up Dust myself off And start all over again.
    -Peter Tosh

Senior Member Array
    Khon Kaen. We're getting a Central you Kalasin baanok fuckers!
    vCash
    Thanks

The thing that pissed me off at Ocean World was the "height requirement" for the kids to get the child price. I'm not trying to be a tight arsed git but I don't like being ripped off. My daughters 9 years old and not particularly tall but she failed the height test miserably. Unless things have changed drastically since I were a lad 9 years old is certainly firmly in child territory to me.
    It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no Interior Minister of Thailand's son.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman
    Hey, I just wanted to talk for a few moments about my time spent at the Siam Under Water World, I think that’s what its called anyway
    No m8

it's called Siam Ocean World

I went last Saturday,,,,,,, C my thread ,,,"Ocean World"

the kids luv it,,,which is the main thing

*(not X actly X citing 4 adults but)

Cheers chaps
    I-never-dun-a-ting-rong-in-me-life-m8