-->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you living in bangkok with children?

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Are you living in bangkok with children?

What is it like to be living in Bangkok with children? I'll be coming with my 11 yo child in august and just wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to share with me in preparation?

Did your child/ren adjust well? Pick up the language? Do they feel safe? What do they miss the most about their homeland? What do they like/dislike the most about bkk? Anything I should definitely bring with me? Anything I should definitely buy when I'm there? Anything I can do that will help my child adjust?

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Are you living in bangkok with children?

can't imagine a worse place to bring up kids...torture.

"...ever wonder why they kill the weak ones, baby?"

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Great, thanks for that

vCash
    Thanks

welcome...

sorry it happened to be the first reply...it is my honest opinion tho...

sure there's gonna be plenty of others who disagree, some vehemently and that's all good eh!

good luck with the move!

</IMG>

New Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

So, why is it such an awful place for children?

vCash
    Thanks

Bangkok is a major metropolis. There are hordes of people - everywhere.

The biggest problem I would have with kids is that there really are very few places for them to play, ride a bike, etc.

As far as safety is concerned I wouldn't worry too much. Thais love children. It's a huge city and there are some bad apples, but I would worry less about my children's safety here than back home - just teach them the rules for pedestrians here and all should be well.
    ...you get what you need.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

hamster hit the nail on the head...

i'm old fashioned and would want my kids growing up like i did...loads of green space to run in, trees to climb, rivers to fish, forests to explore...the good life.

bangkok is noisy, crowded, smelly, consumerist, saturated in advertising...'orrid. the same reason why i wouldn't live there is the same reason i wouldn't raise kids there...

but that's just me!

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    i'm old fashioned and would want my kids growing up like i did...loads of green space to run in, trees to climb, rivers to fish, forests to explore...the good life.

bangkok is noisy, crowded, smelly, consumerist, saturated in advertising...'orrid. the same reason why i wouldn't live there is the same reason i wouldn't raise kids there...

but that's just me!
    Actually it's not just you mate ..... me too!

But then I was brought up from 5 onwards in the Lake District and then rural England with mountains and lakes and shit. The thought of subjecting my little girl to a life confined to Bangkok fries my head!

Can't see me staying here forever for that reason predominately
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defender
    The thought of subjecting my little girl to a life confined to Bangkok fries my head!
    and i've 'taught' so many 'orrible little brats that when i look into their lifestyles i have a lot of sympathy for them...a tough city to be a kid in, stuck in some piddly little condo, plugged into the playstation...

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unwell
    a tough city to be a kid in, stuck in some piddly little condo, plugged into the playstation...

How is ken these days? ...

Regular User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

You haven't mentioned education. If you have the dosh, th best thing would be to put her into one of the better International schools here, such as ISB, Bankok Patana, Harrow, etc. Second option is an English program in a Thai school - cheaper but varuable in quality and still run by Thai damin under the Ministry of Education. At least at school she can mix with other kids in an english speaking environment. Thai kids would take to her pretty well I reckon and she should make lots of friends. I wouldn't want to raise my kid right in Bangkok, but many of these schools are outside of Bkk. The city itself is crowded and smelly - fit only for shopping, which is what I mainly go there for. Around my village are mainy ricefields, but only 30 minute drive to Victory monument in town.

vCash
    Thanks

It all depends on where you live. Its that simple. Bangkok is a megalopolis and you can live in the center or on the outskirts, where I do. The key is how to get in to BKK proper when you need to. My kids have had a great life growing up here, but very different from mine as a child. Need advice feel free to pm I have 9 year old twins.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lelas
    What is it like to be living in Bangkok with children?
    I pray to god that I will never be in this situation, seriously
    Sometimes my mind wanders, sometimes it leaves completely
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I ALWAYS GIVE A 100% AT WORK:

12% Monday
    23% Tuesday
    40% Wednesday
    20% Thursday
    5% Friday

vCash
    Thanks

Hi,
    Y
    our message sound so positive about raising children around Bangkok that I had to write to you. I’m currently in the United States and am engaged to a Thai woman from Surin who has a 4 year old little boy. I am currently starting the process of applying for teaching jobs so I can come to Thailand and be with them for a year or two until I can get them back to the United States. Because she lives one hour outside of Surin and in a very rural area, living and working there wouldn’t be practical. So I have been thinking that perhaps working and living in Bangkok would be the way to go initially and then progress from there. I have been concerned a bit about bringing the little boy to Bangkok to live. Before January, he had never even been away from rural Surin and he even exhibited that a few times, once when he went pee on a tree in a park in Bangkok…hahaha. We were so embarrassed but I said to my fiancé that we need to get this boy to civilization….haha. Anyway, after reading you post online I feel that it is do-able raising a little boy in the city. I have been to Bangkok a number or times and I know there is plenty to do for both adults and children, you just have to be willing to do them together and you need to use your imagination too. Do you feel one area is better to live than another? I know I will have to be able to live near some public transportation so I can get to the school to teach, but I also know from living in cities in the USA that location can be crucial. I have also contacted a personal friend that lives in Bangkok and asked for his and his families opinion, but I read your posting and I thought…..I have to message this woman, she seems to know what is what. Maybe Bangkok isn’t the best place; maybe Chiang Mai would be better. I have spoken to people that teach in Pattaya and do very well. I know a lot depends on the parents and setting in which you have at home, but location is important too. This little boy is going to be my second son in a year or two and I already have a 19 year old son who is a music major in college in the United States and he is my pride and joy and he is just a great kid. So I feel confident I can be as equally good with my new stepson. Even at 4 years old, he’s simply amazing, even when he’s not peeing on park trees….haha. I look at the little boy and what he does at his age and all I can say is WOW. His mother has had a very difficult life and even though she has not been around much because she has been the breadwinner of the immediate family, she and the mother have done a good job in the four years. Now that we have been together over the past year, things have changed for the better.
    Anyway, because I’m just starting and want to get established when I come over on September 11th, I figure I will contact people that really make me think “Hey, he/she really has it together” and get their input on their thoughts and beliefs of the city and Thailand in general. Can you give me any words of wisdom, either positive or negative about bringing this little boy to Bangkok?
    Any information is going to be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance.,
    Nhscotsman

Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    It all depends on where you live. Its that simple. Bangkok is a megalopolis and you can live in the center or on the outskirts, where I do. The key is how to get in to BKK proper when you need to. My kids have had a great life growing up here, but very different from mine as a child. Need advice feel free to pm I have 9 year old twins.

vCash
    Thanks

You dont have enough posts to PM me but feel free to send an email to my addy. I have posted you on your other thread about housing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast