-->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Language At Home

Something Or Other... Array panhunger's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Language At Home

AO talked about English only at home when raising children in Thailand. He said it worked well and his children are now speaking Thai like natives after being exposed to it in school. I have personal friends who have children here and some of their children do very well with dual language at home and some do not.

Marriage is looming for me, not like a dark cloud, but it is on the horizon. My gf speaks very good English and is open to the idea but not sold on English only in the home.

What say you?
    "Goddamn it Lord, bless oh ye this bacon..."

George Liquor American

vCash
    Thanks

Re: Language At Home

It's a great idea in theory. My Mrs speaks largely English at home, but not perfect English (although she's improving all the time).

The concern I have is that my little one will pick up bad habits from the Mrs in English. Heaven forbid I should try and speak Thai

I'm probably worrying about nothing, she'll probably get the hang of it.
    Excuse me for not taking this seriously .....

vCash
    Thanks

My wife speaks both English and Thai at home, but I only speak English, and has the net result of Malina speaking 90% English at home...at her babysitters she speaks mostly Thai.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

vCash
    Thanks

Now that my kids are in 5th grade in Thai school their is more conversation in Thai. But not when we are together as a family, unless the need arises. To their grandma, only Thai, but to the maid and mom its Thai, unless I am around.

It has worked out well this way, the only problem they have is spelling in English. They got dictionaries for Christmas + a CD rom, so they are getting better day by day.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses...I have two concerns: One, the kid doesn't get a good grounding in one language and becomes just OK at both. I have a leuk krung who lives with his English speaking father and his Isaan speaking mother and his accent and usage in English suffers and he's almost 17! He understands almost 100 percent. He can respond quickly and speaks somewhat native like but in the end I would feel like I've failed if he was my child.

I've witnessed other children of mixed parents here who are unbelievable at switching back and forth with excellent accents and they are primary school age. I was amazed. Is this a function of the parents or just having exceptional children?

My other concern is having a situation where the whole family speaks one language except for the slow Thai language speaking Dad, me! That would be frustrating and intolerable.

vCash
    Thanks

kids are very quick to acquire language so i don't think it would be a huge concern. maybe you should take some thai courses to improve your thai if you are worried about the negative impacts it may have on your future seed pannie?

my gf speaks english pretty well. the main issue for her is the pronunciation and grammar..she has to write everything down and study it before she can move onto another area which takes quite a while. i have thought about introducing an english-only "rule" at home but i think it would be too much for her right now. maybe in about 6 months

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger
    Thanks for the responses...I have two concerns: One, the kid doesn't get a good grounding in one language and becomes just OK at both. I have a leuk krung who lives with his English speaking father and his Isaan speaking mother and his accent and usage in English suffers and he's almost 17! He understands almost 100 percent. He can respond quickly and speaks somewhat native like but in the end I would feel like I've failed if he was my child.

I've witnessed other children of mixed parents here who are unbelievable at switching back and forth with excellent accents and they are primary school age. I was amazed. Is this a function of the parents or just having exceptional children?

My other concern is having a situation where the whole family speaks one language except for the slow Thai language speaking Dad, me! That would be frustrating and intolerable.
    Pan, i have a load of english books i've written that could help you readwith yur child. this will help her with her reading and pronounciation. also have simple dictionaries some only english, some Thai. i'd say the younger you start the better but kids will learn at their own speed and will usually be good if they are given the stimulation and opportunity to speak and read. good schools make opportunities forkids to learnand interact. the same goes for parents. Pm me if you're interested and give an address.

Senior Member Array poolcleaner's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panhunger
    AO talked about English only at home when raising children in Thailand. He said it worked well and his children are now speaking Thai like natives after being exposed to it in school. I have personal friends who have children here and some of their children do very well with dual language at home and some do not.

Marriage is looming for me, not like a dark cloud, but it is on the horizon. My gf speaks very good English and is open to the idea but not sold on English only in the home.

What say you?
    How old are your kids Panny?

vCash
    Thanks

Here are some links that discuss brand new evidence that kids are way ahead of the language game. I may be concerned over nothing. No kids as yet, pc.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2007/s1933819.htm

http://news.independent.co.uk/sci_te...cle2581232.ece

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/hea...out604887.html

http://news.google.co.th/nwshp?ie=UT...ncl=1116655916

ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

My wife and I have a different opinion this, we have chosen to speak one language at home because of our experience with being brought up multi lingual and the effects it can have in school and the neighborhood.

Right now though my son is slowly introduced to English, at age six he will be introduced to German and at age 10 it will be French.

Teak Door (dot) com Array kingwilly's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

i looked at it already as well.

basically the experts suggest that each parent speaks one language only with the child.

dont mix it!

then they will become relatively bilingual

vCash
    Thanks

The main thing in my opinion is which first language you choose. You must use this language until it is totally aquired naturally. Then you may begin the second language.

In America nobody can tell either by looking or by their speech that they are not 100% Caucasion and a native speaker. Here they dont look Thai, but are accepted as they are completely fluent in speaking, reading and writing. They can adapt to both cultures as well.

Equally happy with dad in Yosemite eating Pizza, or in a temple in Pakchong Nakorn Rachasima eating, Kamom Cheen Nam ya. Maybe its luck, but I am quite proud of the way they have turned out.

Established User Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    basically the experts suggest that each parent speaks one language only with the child.

dont mix it!
    This is the best advice as mum's imperfections will be repeated -Thai mum speaking English - and vice versa. I'm in China at the moment with our 4 year's old daughter who's just started at a Chinese kindergarden. No English or Thai there and she's picking up Mandarin already. She grizzled, predictably, at first but she has settled in now and she's hearing perfect Mandarin all the time. Tri-lingual at 6 is our aim and we'll review the situation then.

vCash
    Thanks

Its tough here cause my wife speaks english but it isnt fantastic. i speak english with my daughter and i speak thai with her as well. she understands things in both languages but is way more accustomed to the thai. she also fires away the local dialect. in a few weeks we will be in the usa speaking a lot of english, i really want her to continue speaking thai with her mom so she doesnt forget it when we come back here on trips and if she wants to move back here. all of her many cousins speak the local dialect and she hangs out with them all the time. its hard to control the enviornment sometimes.
    I've got to pick myself up Dust myself off And start all over again.
    -Peter Tosh

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman
    its hard to control the enviornment sometimes.
    ...true enough...my goal is to have a one language household...but are there negative effects to having the mom, when daddy is not present, speak her native tongue and then switch to the one language when the entire family is present?

...and AO, how did you get your wife's family to go along with English only, as you mentioned before...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast