-->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Terrible Twos

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

The Terrible Twos

All babies (it seems) go through the terrible twos. The constant crying. The inability to listen. Constantly getting in to trouble. And pushing every limit and button that parents have. Well, at one year, seven months, and two weeks, my son is in full terrible two mode. Any advice out there on how to handle this? I swear, the wife and I are rnning out of patients and unbroken furniture! HELP!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

vCash
    Thanks

Re: The Terrible Twos

Well yelling and screaming aint gonna help, and 19 months is young to listen to something sensible. How about making up some kind of chart with stickers and stuff to get his mind off of freaking you guys out. Hours of the day, good things he has done?? Maybe to young but something with a carrot and a stick. He does get off seeing you freak out. Thank goodness I had girls. Other than Why 65 thousand times a day it was okay. If you have a house a sand box helps and I do mean this.
    Too long in Exile, too long not singing my song.
    Too long like a rolling stone, Too long in exile
    Too long in Exile, baby you just arent my friend.
    Too long in Exile my friend, Baby you can never go home again.

vCash
    Thanks

To young for a reward system like that I would think AO.

My only advice is consistency consistency consistency

My little one is 2 in less then a month and while we have had a few issues both Mum and I have been really consistant and she has learnt and changed her attitude accordingly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

I try to be patent. I don't (generally) raise my voice. When I spot Junior misbehaving, I explain what his actions are not the best and I move him away from trouble. Unfortunately, Junior keeps doing the same behavior. I think the problem lies in the fact that my son is probably smarter than me, has me figured out, and knows I'll always kiss his ass since he is my first.

ocean cloud hermit Array daneel's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

My son is two, got in the terror mode 3 months ago. As Memock said consistency but also not giving in are the keys in our household. Still you have to hang in there and be patient.

vCash
    Thanks

Being patient is a virtue that diminishes with age. Of child and parent. Still got it most days though.
    Last edited by aging one; 14th October 2007 at 21:05.

vCash
    Thanks

Mines 2 years and 4 months nearly, and while her capacity to ignore us impresses me daily, she doesn't go in for extended screaming fits and tantrums, rather she starts and within a couple of minutes has made a joke out of it and has moved on. Current talent is dragging a chair to high up places such as my wifes dressing table and chucking make up over the floor, and getting lotion in her hair. Bombsite is a suitable word to describe my place right now.
    LDMA - Ajarn Forum Admin
    -------
    Don't get me wrong - I don't want a 'serious' board but I'd like posts to be either genuinely amusing, informative and/ or thought provoking.
    Ian McNamara - July 2000

A clash with the management will not serve the purpose of your inner peace and therefore will deprive you from happiness. Thai Language School DOS, 2009

Only the bad person say the bad thing about the good thing.
    Anon. Thai DOS

Eat your Greens! Array greenleaf's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks

We just kept our boy in the attic until he was 3. He's perfectly adjusted now, he's even used to the sunlight
    my home:

my blog:

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LDMA
    Mines 2 years and 4 months nearly, and while her capacity to ignore us impresses me daily, she doesn't go in for extended screaming fits and tantrums, rather she starts and within a couple of minutes has made a joke out of it and has moved on. Current talent is dragging a chair to high up places such as my wifes dressing table and chucking make up over the floor, and getting lotion in her hair. Bombsite is a suitable word to describe my place right now.
    Oh boy, same here. He does have to clean up the mess though which in the end means one piece for him and 25 pieces for mam/dad to pick up.

Just stay patient and as much as possible.

vCash
    Thanks

Yes, we also attempt to have Malina pick up her mess, and I'd say the 25:1 ratio sounds about correct.

We did have this very short period at around the age Wangsuda mentions 19-20 months when she'd scream before bedtime, and refuse to go to bed, and left us going to bed at 2am sometimes. Well, after about a week of this we decided to just ignore her and go to bed, and she'd cut it out within 3 days

vCash
    Thanks

Any mess my daughter makes she has to clean up. If not, its a smack and off to her room. When I go and get her 10 mins later we go straight back to the mess and try again and if need be repeat the progress. Same with toys when she has finished playing with them or it is time for bed.

Every single time. As I said before, consitancy. I only had to do that a few times and she learnt very quickly. No mess now and no tantrums when it comes to picking up her toys either.

Wangsunda you mention that you don't raise your voice and you move him away from whatever he is doing naughty. (please forgive my forwardness) That is crazy!
    Why not raise your voice? He is being naughty, why not smack him, he is being disobediant. Put yourself in his shoes. Being naughty is fun. Getting caught by dad means we have a little talk and I get moved away. Would you do it again? I know I would - what a game!!

From the moment my daughter could crawl she knew the stereo, DVD's, anything at floor level was out of bounds, she wasn't allowed in the kitchen or bathroom. She is almost 2 now and we still have no problems with those rules.

Senior Member Array
    vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MeMock
    Wangsunda you mention that you don't raise your voice and you move him away from whatever he is doing naughty. (please forgive my forwardness) That is crazy!
    Why not raise your voice? He is being naughty, why not smack him, he is being disobediant. Put yourself in his shoes. Being naughty is fun. Getting caught by dad means we have a little talk and I get moved away. Would you do it again? I know I would - what a game!!
    My mom yelled way too much at my brother and me. I refuse to be like her. I may raise my voice a little, but I simply refuse to go to all out yelling. I will start giving little smacks on the hand. I like that idea.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by daneel
    Oh boy, same here. He does have to clean up the mess though which in the end means one piece for him and 25 pieces for mam/dad to pick up.
    Same here. The toys always go everywhere, and he has to clean up the mess. He as a bit of incentive now, since we got a dog. If my son doesn't pick up his toys quick, the dog starts chewing on them. Great little arrangement!
    -----
    I feel there is something wrong now . . . my son's been an angel all day so far! What is he planning? Now I'm truly scared!
    Last edited by wangsuda; 15th October 2007 at 12:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

vCash
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wangsuda
    My mom yelled way too much at my brother and me. I refuse to be like her. I may raise my voice a little, but I simply refuse to go to all out yelling. I will start giving little smacks on the hand. I like that idea.
    !
    I never said yell, I said raise your voice.

I agree yelling is pointless but raising your voice works wonders and if that doesn't work give them a smack.

A little smack on the hand? It like the thai police giving you a 100 baht fine for not wearing your helmet. Does it stop you next time? No because it is just a little smack (100 baht).

vCash
    Thanks

That's a good one. My son is fine, not the best behaved boy but a good boy. We can take him everywhere without getting in any trouble and I am sorry but Memock is right. At some point you have to draw the line. With us the best way is to ignore him, he hates that.

Sometimes my missus and I tick him on the fingers when he is really naughty as well, not hard but in this case it is all about the way you carry yourself I think.

Yelling does not help with my son, he thinks it is fun to see people yell.

My son loves playing with his friends in the neighborhood. He loves to be outside, so if he is naughty he can't play and has to stay inside. You should see his tantrums when that happens. Just ignore it and after five minutes he starts to look confused and stops.

vCash
    Thanks

Another little naughty thing malina does is when she goes to our favourite restaurant, will march straight to where they keep the icecream menus take one and sit down with us deciding what she'd like for desert, then she'll keep getting up and re-arranging table mats on vacant tables around the restaurant.....I'm not somebody who disagrees with smacking, but you really feel uncomfortable doing it in public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast